I declined a Grosh Retro Classic.......

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by big e, Mar 17, 2008.

1. big e

big e Member

I auditioned one this weekend and decided it wasn't for me. Two reasons. It had huge frets (6100 ?) which I found difficult to play over and it's tone overall was very dark. I expect the tone disappointment was the result of Fralin Blues Specials & SP43 (lead).........not sure but it did not compare in quack or clarity when compared to my mid 90's G&L Legacy with stock pups & Sp43(lead), Fender EJ and Fender 65' Relic.

I was somewhat surprised / disappointed that this Grosh really lacked any kind of sparkle. I couldn't make it "skinny" or shimmer! Tried every pup combination, and setting with the blend control / tone controls.

2. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

Well, if you're not used to 6100's, they can be uncomfortable to play on.

The Blue Specials are dark sounding pickups as they are overwound, the steel pole is more like a P-90 in strat skin. If you what quack and shimmer, those pickups are wrong choice as there are other better selection.

Try another one if possible with different frets and pickup types. Grosh offers many different frets, neck sizes/shapes, and electronics combos.

I had one before and it has alder body, flame maple neck/board, Fralin Vintage hots and Blue special in the bridge position (where it should), 6100's and 12" radius, it didn't lack any quack, shimmer or crystals or glass/sparkle, for that matter.

3. Eugene

Eugene Supporting Member

Agreed, Blues Specials are not really designed for shimmer/sparkle. I've had them in a Retro Classic that I no longer own and alway thought it excelled when played in an overdriven amp...clean wasn't really its forte. I much prefer the Vintage Hots and the SP43...more of a "traditional" strat sound....its the configuration I currently use.

In terms of the 6100's, you'll either love them or hate them. Can't really fault the guitar for something that a customer spec'd...Don will put whatever the client wants on the guitar.

Definitely try another one...perhaps an ash body with the Vintage Hots...I'll bet its 180 degrees from where you are now.

Best,

Eugene

4. dave s

dave s Member

No worries. If you're comparing a Grosh RC to a GL Legacy, I can see where the tonal difference would be huge. Thick, dark and focused (Grosh) compared to the twang and splat of a GL are opposite ends of the spectrum.

Where the Grosh shines is serious cut through a mix in live situations, tuning stability and playability (with the right frets, of course).

You weren't floored by it. No problem.

dave

5. dwes

dwes Member

Hi,

I think your experience, although different from many, is good to read. I'm a huge Grosh fan, but if all the reviews are positive for any product...well, I get suspicious.

That said, where are you? And where's the Grosh? I'm in Harford County and would like to check it out if not too far away. Sold my retro a few years ago to a TGP member and have been missing it terribly.

Dave

6. dwes

dwes Member

Oops, I went to your site. See you're in Cambridge. Nice place. Saw Dwight Yoakam there and greatly enjoyed the show and town.

Dave

7. big e

big e Member

No question Don makes great guitars, I didn't order this one custom it was in a store so I thought I'd try it and I learned a lot. I'm sure I would love the same guitar with med / tall frets (6101?) and some vintage Lollars or other. Just didn't have that option on this guitar as it was made for a music store.