1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

I declined a New Year's gig. Am I unreasonable or hard to work with?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Bunther, Dec 23, 2019.

1. CDP

CDP Member

Hey, not everyone can afford a band at their wedding. And not everyone can afford a band at their NYE party. Neither is a crime. But accepting $165 per person for either would be a crime, let alone a wedding on NYE. Realistically you should be making $500 each or more.

I've read a few posts here where bands charged insane amounts for weddings or NYE. That's the other half of the problem, so clubs and wedding planners will continue to hire DJ's rather than hire bands.

kookaburra likes this.
  2. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Member

Hired gun bands almost always suck, unless you have a really good team of people you work with regularly.

3. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

We passed on a New Years gig as well. I’d rather spend some time with my family that evening. We all agreed in the band as well.

4. straightblues

straightblues Member

I hate when band members give the client control of your setlist. It is easy learning songs on drums but not so easy on guitar. It takes time to learn songs, even if you are good at it. I also hate learning songs you will never ever play again. Also, I hate playing what I call "karaoke" versions of songs with all the subtleties and details of the song missing. I guess I just hate everything about this gig. :oops:

I would say no, and look for other reasonable musicians to play with.

5. ToneDeVille

ToneDeVille Supporting Member

1) I don't leave the house with a guitar & amp on NYE for less than $500 per man and client provided sound, lights, and staging.

2) I do not accept out of town gigs on NYE.
    and
    3) I NEVER let the client control the set list.

Sticking to those rules has never been a problem with getting gigs.

makeitstop likes this.
  6. russ

russ Supporting Member

No one has mentioned the risk of being on the road on NYE driving home well past midnight.
    It is something I think about as well.

7. FokenBusker

FokenBusker Member

For the pay, I would have to be absolutely desperate to accept said job. I have been that desperate in the past, however, and would have accepted it at the time.

That's the sort of gig I'd really, really need to need before I'm going to say 'yes' to it.

8. NHDave

NHDave Supporting Member

never mind that $165 not being a fair deal for a gig 90 miles away... the fact that
    you have to prep for it for hours... and it's new years eve (holiday, unsafe time to be
    on the road etc). politely decline... BTW: photography as a side gig, I understand
    that not everything in an artistic field works out on an hourly basis... but if he took a low
    paying gig, that's on him.

9. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Extremely unreasonable expectations, imo.

The amount of time to prep, the drivetime, and time on the gig don't come close to being covered by the offered amount. Break all that down by the hours invested to get a realistic idea of how much that hourly wage is.

10. vladorg

vladorg Supporting Member

I paused twice - first at the 6 hour, six set gig for $150 and then at the New Year's gig 90-miles away for $165. I am honestly amazed that you said yes to any of these unless you love playing with this guys/that band and absolutely love playing those tunes!?!

11. sgguitarzz

sgguitarzz Member

I get it and don't blame you. That's a lot of work plus he pushed you out once already anyway. I agree New years should pay more.

12. stonem

stonem Supporting Member

There is great wisdom in this post.

andy474x likes this.
  13. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

Sad thing is that this band leader is probably going to keep the gig instead of being honest with the client and throwing in the towel. So, his group will suck being completely unprepared and playing material way out of their league, the customer will be unhappy and that will be one more group of people that say, "**** this DJ next year!".

My old band leader was perfectly fine bringing in woefully unprepared subs, even smuggly stating "I love you, but if you can't make the gig I have people to take your place" to core members. Coming in totally half assed, sounding like **** and honestly devaluing the band / brand vs. just being honest and cancelling or regrouping for a new date with venues. One of the main reasons I left that gig.

MikeMcK likes this.
  14. Mayflower

Mayflower Silver Supporting Member

This for sure on a wedding/NYE gig.
    This guy is trying to make enough money on a gig or two each month to keep him floating.
    I don't mind that IF I get what I want.
    That night and that type preparation should be in the range of 350- minimum plus a room and dinner. Otherwise no way.
    To offer a guy 165- on that night to a guy that can handle those tunes???? That's a slap in the face. Enjoy the night off.

15. Me Again

Me Again Member

Absolutely NOT unreasonable.

16. 4inchjones

4inchjones Member

I wonder how much of a musician this drummer is. No offense to drummers, but hitting stuff with sticks is a lot easier to fake than chord voicings and vocals.

Sounds like he doesnt really comprehend what hes asking of you. He's like the drunk girl at the bar gig who doesnt understand that you cant just whip up a perfect rendition of her favorite song on command.

17. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

I pretty sure the OP was talking about this NYE gig, and also about low pay for weddings in general. I don't think this gig was a NYE wedding. It's just a NYE gig.

Side note: My old wedding band was asked to play NYE weddings a couple of times. I priced them accordingly... and never actually played one.

Gasp100 likes this.
  18. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

Yea but in that situation I'll at least give it a shot!!! :)

19. shredmiyagi

shredmiyagi Member

Wow! I'd ask for $160 just to drive my car for 90 miles!

Elantric likes this.
  20. fetchmybeer

fetchmybeer Member

What sucks is cancelling so close to the wedding date, but your "band leader" sounds like a mega-flake and you have been entirely too tolerant. You have to drive 90 miles and you only get paid $165? And previously you did a 6 set gig for $150? It sounds like you have a regular size band too and not some kind of Earth Wind & Fire deal where you have to split it 12 ways. There is no reason for your cut to be so small.

As others have said, your band leader is either the worst negotiator in the world or he is ripping you off big time. Your profile says you're in Houston, so you shouldn't be playing for West Virginia rates.