I desperately need a good Wah Pedal!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Antiquo Cantor, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Antiquo Cantor

Antiquo Cantor Member

I like the straight ahead classic 60's wah tones a' la Hendrix, Cream-era Clapton, Page, and of course all the raunchy funk of the 70's. I'd like one that sounds good clean and dirty. Don't need any modern high gain Zakk Hammet nonsense with 5 knobs or anything although a little tweak-ability wouldn't hurt especially if it enables it to sound good, clean and dirty/fuzzy. What am I looking for? Also, how do the new $200 handwired Vox and Crybaby Clyde McCoy wahs hold up against the boutique offerings from Fulltone, RMC, etc? Thanks! :munch

2. sleewell

sleewell Member

3. 71strat

71strat Member

4. analogsystem

analogsystem Member

I think some of the most reasonably priced, yet great sounding Wahs for the vibe you are going for are the "drop in kits" or pre-modded Joe Gagan ones. He sells them on ebay. I bought a standard Vox with his drop in kit already installed and it sounds killer. It took me a few weeks to get used to as it is a pinch darker and the "sweet" or "notch" spot is in a different place than the old 90s crybaby I used for years. Now I'm loving how chewy and throaty it can get. Sounds great with gain too. Just my 2 cents. Rock on!

5. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Supporting Member

What type of guitar/pickups are you using? With humbuckers, the best I've found is the Teese Wizard wah and it also works very well with fuzz/OD.

6. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

For bang-for-buck, it's hard to go wrong with the Crybaby 535Q.

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  7. bratch

bratch Member

Wah is so taste dependent, so you might have to engage in some trial and error.

I had been 'ok' on wah for years with my crybaby and 535q, but, like you, I wanted a more old-school psych rock sound.

I ended up with an older teese rmc3, and I found I could dial in sounds much more throatierilicioisly than the dunlops. It does literally have like 6 knobs and some dip switches, but they are stealthy and hidden away so you have a sleek normal-looking wah. Totally clutch.

8. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

9. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

If you're looking for vintage wah tones, the Oxbow Clyde McCoy replica is incredible.

10. Antiquo Cantor

Antiquo Cantor Member

I use a few different guitars, primarily I like single coils, P-90s, and low output Paf HBs. I've also got a Firebird with Duncan vintage spec mini-HBs.

I owned a 535Q a while back and it didn't quite do it for me. I've owned a lot of the lower-priced Crybabys as well as a Modtone Vintage Wah, a Morley, a Danolectro, etc, and I'm convinced that I'm not going to get the tone I want out of the cheaper stuff and that I need to look into the $200ish and up boutique stuff to get what I need. It's just that there's many options nowdays I don't quite know where to start. I was hoping to get a general consensus on a tried and true high quality, classic sounding wah that has the goods and that enough people recommend that I can feel comfortable ordering it without fear of having to return it.

Of course I'm also going to do my own research by pouring through reviews, listening to demo clips and personally demoing different wahs in shops as well, even though most guitar shops around here are pretty lacking in high-end boutique wahs to demo. . So I'll thank you to keep the suggestions coming. :wave

11. handtrix

handtrix Member

That is always a factor. There you have a recommendation for humbuckers.
    If you are going with VOX the V847 will accomodate humbucker well and the V848 which is the V846 circuit will be great for singlecoils. Like VOX's, Crybaby's are key with type of ICAR pot & inductor that it uses. - The 535Q is from old-school; based off of E.H.'s Crying Tone.

12. iggs

iggs Member

13. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

BBE Ben Wah.

Frankee and rongtr like this.
  14. Antiquo Cantor

Antiquo Cantor Member

How about the Fulltone Clyde Standard/Deluxe? I like what I'm hearing so far. Any fans?

15. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

I've got the Deluxe and I have no need to buy anything else.

16. ToneKing

ToneKing Member

17. AkrW

AkrW Member

Bought the Dunlop Clyde mccoy and brought it back. The lack of buffer is a dealbreaker for me. By itself it was nice but the interaction with my fuzzes wasn t ideal. I was not interested in retrofit a Foxrox buffer in it. Bought an RMC 4 which already has it.

18. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

The Regular and Deluxe come now with a switchable booster buffer. All the extra features of the Deluxe for a extra $40 is a no brainer to me YMMV.

http://www.fulltone.com/products/clyde-deluxe-wah

19. Antiquo Cantor

Antiquo Cantor Member

Yeah I really like the Fulltone Clyde. I think they sound great and are less expensive than RMC. I just have to decide between the standard or deluxe. Like Totally Bored said, it's probably worth the little bit of extra money to get the extra versatility.

20. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

I have a Fulltone Deluxe. I like it a lot. All three modes offs something differnt. And the boost is nice. My one main complaint is that the sweep is pretty wide especially on the bass end, so using it with higher gain, it can get lost and on the cleans can get cause low end grind even with the boost off. I just got a larger rubber washer so it doesn't go all the way back. Just a couple MM for the full heel down position. Works fine.