I did a search but I don't see much love for the '52 Hot Rod Tele...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by olin, Feb 29, 2008.

1. olin

olin Supporting Member

Other than an adjustment period due to the really chunky neck, I'm starting to realize that my '62 Hot Rod Strat is just about the best Strat I've ever owned.

Now I've started thinking that a Hot Rod Tele would be a nice compliment. You could cover a lot of ground with those two guitars, especially with the mini-humbucker in the Tele.

Who's got one? Tell me about it.

Thanks.

2. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

That Tele is definately on my radar! But on the other hand, I kinda would like to do a build on something similar. So I'm gonna sit this one out for now. I am thinking amp next, then Tele, maybe.

3. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

There is a lot of love for the 52 Hot Rod. The Seymour Duncan mini humbucker sounds quite good in the neck position. The neck is large but comfortable and the choice of frets and neck radius is workable for many players. Good tones. Lots of versatility. Good bang for the buck.
    I prefer a Nocaster. But that's more bucks.

4. Rockin J

Rockin J Member

I've got a 52 hot rod. The bigger neck does take some adjusting to but this is just a outstanding guitar. Great build quality, looks, playabillity and sound. The mini hum sure is better in the neck position to me than a standard telle neck pickup. Just a fuller but still quite tele sound. The two pickups sound great together in the middle position. I bought this one from MF with the 20% discount they sent me and the guy screwed it up so It actually came out to about 24%. At $1217 this was quite the deal.

5. bluesman69

bluesman69 Member

I had a 52 HR and it was an outstanding guitar. I sold it when I got my first Brent Mason Valley Arts.

6. TREV FLINT

TREV FLINT Member

I really like my Hot Rod Tele. I don't find the neck to be all that big. I like the middle position, something about the mini hum and single bridge that sounds so good!

7. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

I've only played one and was almost shocked at how good it was.

8. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

I played one for about 2 hours at a jam in NY while I was up there last year and it was killer. Definitely on my "gotta have it" list.