I didnt like the Fulltone '69 but keep loving EJ / JB Clips

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by shawntp, Aug 12, 2008.

1. shawntp

shawntp Member

I bought a Fulltone '69 like 2 years ago and had it for a while but never really connected with it. I cant describe why but it always sounded too flabby or something. I ended up selling it at a profit because it got discontinued and have been using all overdrives lately (Zendrive into a TIM).

So I keep hearing these clips of EJ and Bonomassa's rigs and I like how they mix in fuzz but they play huge venues with everything cranked and I play at lower volumes. Maybe thats why I cant connect with fuzz but every time I hear it I keep wanting to try and get it on my board again.

My board is pretty small - Keeley Compressor > ZenDrive > TIM > Replica and just bought a Loop Junky (not here yet).

I was thinking of trying the fuzz factory but I cant determine if Ill get legitimate tone out of it or if its more of a crazy off the wall novelty fuzz.

anyone have a similar journey with fuzz or have any rec'

2. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Germ fuzzes normally do have a flubby sound.

3. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

Try the MXR Classic 108 that just came out. It is a silicon fuzz with a buffer in a nice square box size plus it is only around $100 or so.

4. hbentley

hbentley Member

the '69 has become one of my favorite pedals. it's a little tricky to set at first though. there are great fuzz and warm overdrive tones in there if you have the patience to work with it. it's definitely much flabbier with humbuckers than single coils as you'd expect.

5. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I've found silicon fuzzes to be tighter than germanium in general. You may want to check out silicon if that's what you're looking for. I like both the 69 and 70 but for different things. I do use single coils mostly and found that I don't like fuzz as much with humbuckers. There are lots of shades in a good fuzz if you play around with your guitar volume knob. My like to dial in the 69 for about 80% of its fuzz capability and roll my guitar down to about 7 for a nice throaty clean with a round and firm bottom end.

6. erksin

erksin Member

If you found the '69 to be too loose for your taste, then maybe you should be looking at a hybrid like the Skreddy Screw Driver. It sounds MUCH tighter at low volumes but still gives up warnm FF goodness.

I have both, BTW.

7. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

Germ fuzzes do have a sag to the attack. It can be a cool sound but if you don't like the feel of it it can be an issue. I like it because it makes you play a little different and you can get lots of variety just by using the volume know on the guitar. My favorite is the HBE Germania which is more of a booster than a fuzz but it has the same properties.

8. shawntp

shawntp Member

Yeah - I only have one single coil pickup these days in the bridge of my Tele. A new shop opened up in town with lots of boutique gear so Ill have to take my les paul in and try some out.

I was asking about the Fuzz Factory last time I was in the shop and the guy said he couldn't keep them on the selves they sold so fast.

9. geetarboy

geetarboy Member

Try running it into an OD set for low gain. That's how I get my favorite fuzz tones.

10. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

My suggestion is to test drive the Jetter Blue. Brad did an excellent job capturing the "fuzz" essence in a circuit that to me is much more user-friendly than a fuzz (of fuzz + OD or fuzz + whatever). Dig the clips!

http://www.jettergear.com/sounds.cfm

- DB

11. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

i had a pretty tough problem with fuzz pedals.

i realized it was my OTHER pedals causing the problem.

i wasn't willing to swap out all them 'ole other pedals just to get what i wanted when i was straight up fuzz to amp. . . though i REALLY love that sound.

. . . then i discovered the rat. it also has its own limitations, but has VERY fuzz-like qualities.

there has been some excellent advice offered in this thread. . . including diffs between silicon and germ . . . and the screwdriver.

you can also get a fuzzy drive with a blues driver (i use a keeley).

good luck.

12. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

2 very important differences in what Eric and Joe are doing...number one they are both fans of SILICON Fuzz Faces which are pretty different beasts than a germanium Fuzz Face plus they are running into cranked amps which helps smooth things out and such...I'd suggest a high quality Si FF (the AnalogMan BC-108 or new Dunlop Hendrix woudl be my first choices however the Fulltone 70, Mayer, Hartman, MXR BC108, Foxrox Hot silicon all come to mind as well) and if you can;t crank your amp run the FF into a good OD pedal it'll take some tweaking to get it right but that will get you a lot closer than the 69 into a cleanish amp ever will.

Remember, fuzz is NOT an easy thing to use, even though it is a very simply and very old effect it still gets used poorley more than almost any other effect IMO...work with it until you really get it down!

13. VarLogMessages

VarLogMessages Supporting Member

Just a belch and a holler from Boston, MA
    I always thought the '70 was more EJ than the '69. YMMV.

14. steveb

steveb Member

To me, a Fuzz Face type germ. fuzz into a clean amp or amp set on low volume just doesn't sound good. Put any type of dirt box between the fuzz & the amp, & it will sound better at low volumes.

But, a FF type fuzz into an amp that's starting to cook sounds awesome to me.

By the same token, a Big Muff into a clean amp sounds good, too.

Steve

15. shawntp

shawntp Member

When I had my Fuzz - the only OD I had was a FullDrive2 - they were ok together but the FD went shortly after the '69 because it was too much mid bump for me. Now I have a Tim on the floor which might do better. Ill have to take it into the shop and try some out.

I keep listening to that fuzz factory and it sounds pretty intense and sweet but the one boutique shop in town has a few other flavors too.