I don't get Grateful Dead. Really.

pete692

Silver Supporting Member
Gregg Allman didn’t have good to say about the Dead in his autobiography. I never got the appeal. I was in Chicago when the Dead was in town for their last performances with Jerry in 1995 and there a lot of Deadheads at my hotel (Chicago Marriott). I wasn’t too impressed with that crowd.
Crap, I gotta check my discography for the Greg Allman Seal of Approval! I’ve been going about this music appreciation thing all wrong

CCG

Gregg Allman didn’t have good to say about the Dead in his autobiography. I never got the appeal. I was in Chicago when the Dead was in town for their last performances with Jerry in 1995 and there a lot of Deadheads at my hotel (Chicago Marriott). I wasn’t too impressed with that crowd.
interesting because they seemed to gig a lot with them early on and Berry Oakley was a big fan

Kurt L

I love when this thread reappears.

The “Greatful Dead”, only band in the world that can be made fun of for NOT being in tune all the time AND for tuning all the time. The Schrodinger’s cat of rock and roll.
Reminds me of a funny incident in high school. My “band” was playing in the garage, all just a little stoned.

I kept trying to tune my guitar and kept telling everyone to shut up for a minute to facilitate the tuning process. Seemed to take forever.

Of course, my chorus pedal was on the whole time.

P.S. Still love the Dead. Others should enjoy or avoid as they see fit.

Creighton

Funny how threads about what people don't like are so popular. You'd think everyone would be more interested in discussing what they do like.

The GD played a major role in the canon of American music and their songs are timeless. If you don't "get" them that's ok.

You don't have to like the Grateful Dead and I get it if you don't, but they are certainly incredibly talented, unique, and adventurous in ways that no one other rock band was at that time.

papab

Yea but if you are riding on a train, high on cocaine in 1970 i suppose you might better relate. From the 90s onward i get what you are talking about. Old bands must be taken in context of history and what came before it, and what / why it meant to fans.

Dr Zaius

Gold Supporting Member
I for one am content that not everyone sees things the same way I do. What a terrible world it would be if we all liked/disliked the same things.

Trending Topics