• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

I don't get Grateful Dead. Really.

ChampReverb

Gold Supporting Member
I made to 4:50 on this one.. I cant get past the singing on it though.. so I had to stop... thats my review of that one.. otherwise not bad.. but goes nowhere for a long time.

Let me know if you want me to review another :)

Well, start with all of their live shows and get back to me...

-bEn r.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
sorry you took offense but the reality of the times, disputes you
Well, then, my personal experience disputes you

Jon-bandana-full-pic.jpg

johnnyb128

I made to 4:50 on this one.. I cant get past the singing on it though.. so I had to stop... thats my review of that one.. otherwise not bad.. but goes nowhere for a long time.

Let me know if you want me to review another :)
You're on a guitar forum and reviewed the singing without getting to the massive guitar part. Review fail. When people don't wanna know there's no helping them....

Cedar

OK. Try this.

To me, inasmuch as there is a real issue here, part of it is that, to me anyway, the songs are different from the jams.

Fire on the Mountain is a song. Like any other song. Touch of Grey is a song. These are, arguably good songs. Normal songs. You don't have to like them. But they are reasonable songs, well crafted, with good hooks, unique enough, solid. Vocals and lyrics are competent. You can even say they are elegant, with very little wasted space.

The jams, on the other hand, are not songs, but rather contain songs. These jams are not that different from airport music. They are intended to be part of a situation, of an environment, an event, a happening.

The purpose of the jams is to assist deadhead gatherings to be successful, not to be good songs, or even songs per se. They instead provide a vibe for a community gathering, like a soundtrack. The gatherings and the music evolved together to be what they became.

Do the jams contain good music? Yes they do, IMO.

But the jams are not supposed to be elegant pieces of music intended just as music per se. They get part of their value from the event itself.

Some soundtracks don't work when isolated from films, even if they are good as soundtracks. Similarly, if you are judging dead shows in isolation, you are by definition not understanding them. Was the party fun? Did it bring some people closer? If so, the music fulfilled its purpose.

Criticizing a five minute guitar solo for noodling is therefore by definition unfair. Someone is lying in the grass stoned or relaxing. They absolutely do not want a ten second, elegant solo wherein nothing was wasted. They want to stretch the meditation out, if anything. They don't want or need snappy songs. That would be inappropriate.

So to me these anti dead threads are unfair and not in good faith, as they do not evaluate the music by its own standards, but rather they impose unfitting standards.

So I can 100% understand why dead fans would be frustrated by these threads.

I'm not a dead head. I enjoyed them live. I enjoy their songs. I enjoy the parties, or did when I partied more.

But I think they're fantastic because I feel like I accept who they were. I've never bought a Dead album.

But Dead heads are among the most fun people I've ever hung with. The gatherings were great. The women were beautiful. The guys were mellow and friendly. People were welcoming and generous. It felt like a vacation from my troubles for sure.

And the music fit. It fit very well.

The songs were part of the music, buried in there somewhere. But it was never about the songs. It was about a vibe and a gathering. But if you accepted and embraced that, the music then became quite nice.

If they wanted to play elegant and polished songs they were more than capable. That is not what they wanted to do. It was environmental music in that sense.
Great post and I agree wholeheartedly, well maybe not the part where you said you weren't a Deadhead.

But normy squares will never understand where this is coming from--it's a lost cause to try to explain any of this to most TGP'ers.

They want meat-and-potatoes, macho blues and the like.

Great post and I agree wholeheartedly, well maybe not the part where you said you weren't a Deadhead.

But normy squares will never understand where this is coming from--it's a lost cause to try to explain any of this to most TGP'ers.

They want meat-and-potatoes, macho blues and the like.
Oh well, just wanted to try my best. If they really want to understand it, then I wanted to give them the tools. It's not meant for someone emotionally invested in hating the Dead, but for someone open minded.

I mean, literally anything involving anyone remotely hippyish is going to get hated on by some here. Some people belong to a tribe that hates 'hippies' (whatever those are), and their identity is tied up in this derision. And some automatically disrespect weed smokers. The hatin is baked in.

DV52

I like them and have since the early '70s , My gal and guitar mentor ,not so much. To Imply that they are not open minded is shallow at best , as they are both very giving and caring people . In that format it is saying you are wrong for not agreeing with me . That is not what music is about .

uitar99

Now that golf is done I have started my winter walking program. Spent a few weeks walking through 150 airplane tunes and now moved on to the dead. I just have it shuffle through whatever I have on an old iPod .

First thing up was a live version of Mississippi half step. Love that tune.

Yes I know, Dec 2020, but we need the entertainment

LaceSensor1

I went to a show this year in Cinni. The music was great. The fans after the show were horrible/disgusting/children. I really can't believe what we experienced. Some of the worst attitudes I've seen in my life.

A guy behind me asked me and my friend to stop talking during the show....in a loud ass stadium with 100s/1000s of talking people.

Also watching someone huff a nitrous balloon and then pass put and start convulsing was not my idea of pre-show entertainment.

As said previously, if the dark side of drug abuse is interesting/entertaining to you, then you would probably like the shows.

Last edited:

frankencat

Guitarded
Gold Supporting Member
In my younger days, even though many of my friends were totally into them, I was not. Then something happened and I suddenly got it. I really like Jerry’s approach to the guitar and they have some really great songs. Franklins Tower and Eyes Of The World are two of my favorites.

tnvol

Gen Manager at the YMCA
Silver Supporting Member
I don't get them either but the grate thing is that I don't have to! Plenty of stuff I do get!!!

Yooper

A guy behind me asked me and my friend to stop talking during the show...

And there it is. Over the years since Jerry died, the chatterbugs have swarmed the concerts. Bobby got to the point where he started wearing a STFU t-shirt.

This rudeness wasn't so common back in the day. People went to listen, to dance and to enjoy the music. We would socialize during set breaks or before and after the show.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom