I don't get it (Krank Amps)...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by somedude, Jan 5, 2008.

1. somedude

somedude Member

I don't get it. In the 3 or 4 years that I've seen Krank around as a company I've seen very little internet interest, alot of negative hype, and very few users on any forum who actually own one.

And yet they can afford premium ad space in magazines like Guitar World and (when it still existed) Guitar One.

I don't get it. Is anyone up enough on this company to know what's going on?

2. ajchance

ajchance Member

I think the crowd they're catering to may not be the forum type. I can't tell from their website, are they owned by a larger conglomerate?

3. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

I've wondered the same thing. Not only that, I don't see them on stage either. I know of one major player that was using them, but they were breaking and he was having to use Road Kings while they were being repaired. If they don't start puting out solid products that we like enough to talk about, they won't be around long.

D

4. somedude

somedude Member

Not sure about their ownership....

As for who they're catering to, it seemed that for awhile some death and thrash metal bands were swapping their 5150s for them, but the trend seems to have died off.

I know that TGP is hardly a death metal forum, but most of it's users are a little better informed than your average death metal forumite....

5. loudboy

loudboy Supporting Member

Same thing with "Coffin Cases" - unbelievable amount of advertising, yet who would buy one of those God-awful things?

Loudboy

6. JStizz

JStizz Member

ive played a few Krank amps. they're okay i guess. you'll see more rock producers with them in their studios than you will on the road. my guess is that they record well but dont have the quality to take on the road. as matter of fact, they only amp ive seen ANYONE use was the Krankenstein amp that had Dimebag's name on it. those sound like a 5150 if you ask me, with a little less fuzziness, but the price tag scares everyone away, cuz they cost twice as much as a 5150 and cant be toured with.

the few Krank Revolution amps ive played, to compare honestly, sounded like JCM900s... decent but not worth the price tag. that could be why they arent talked about much around here.

7. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

I think as you said they are gear to another crowd. maybe great amps , Just never tried one. Theres probably a wole other guitar and amp world out there that us TGP guys just dont know about . hard to imagine but true.
    I heard that some people SHHHH play schecter guitars , the imported ones .
    HMMMM

8. tnvol

tnvol Supporting Member

I know that was tongue in cheek but I could swear it's true sometimes. Some people here act like there is no recorded music past 1975.

9. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Member

Was in GC today for some assorted sundries. I happened across the scene of a young long haired metal guy with the full entourage in tow. Mom, dad, girlfriend, a few buddies, and a younger sibling or two. Hell I think mom even had the family dog in her purse. Dude was shredding out this most horrible, unaccurate, choppy, clumsy, death medal gobbldygook. Through a Krank amp The girl and mom give me the "isn't he bitchin" look. I could barely walk away without a comment. Or throwing up a little. Still it was cool seeing "rock star to be" rocking out and his friends and family getting such a kick out if it I never had the support as a youngster.

In retrospect I shoulda said "dudes no John Mayers is he"

Crank amps are cheap, they look like bitchin metal machines, and have the buzz saw sound. The young metal guys must eat that stuff up. Hell "Krank" What better name?

10. rooster

rooster Member

I don't know who owns the company these days, but I do know that Tony Krank is back to doing repairs/mods in Tempe, AZ.

rooster.

11. kurtsstuff

kurtsstuff Member

Although I'm in the Minority....I've owned and played Krank Revolution heads and they do sound very good when dialed in. Noise floor is phenominal for such a high gain amp. The Clean channel isn't "sparkly" or "buttery" but pretty good and yes...Clean!! I think the company sabotaged themselves. All in all though for $15-$1600.00 not a bad amp at all...I've spent way more on so called "great amps" that well....I'd rather have the Krank if given the choice. In fact.....think I'll hunt me down another one and not give a rats ass "what my friends or people on the forums might say" Like I got sucked into before...lol!!!

12. Echoes

Echoes Senior Member

none worth a damn anyways! ;)

13. bigboy

bigboy Member

Personal opinion, and it dosen't mean squat, but I think they're really ugly.

14. Kelly

Kelly Member

Krank started off on the wrong foot by getting caught writing their own reviews on the HC user reviews thing...

15. teefus

teefus Supporting Member

a local music store is a dealer and always has several in stock. i always check them out and have to laugh because everyone has its transformer mounting tabs bent like they have been beat around. construction looks pretty shaky overall.

16. MrMike

MrMike Member

I have a CD-ROM that came in Guitar World where Dimebag was trying out the prototypes. They kept blowing up, even in the video.

17. Occam

Occam Member

They're just not as good as Krystal Meth amps.

18. somedude

somedude Member

Does he sell any?

19. Kappy

Kappy Member

I figure you're the one to ask since you signed up today to make this post, so here goes. Can you back that up with any proof?

20. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

And there it is,
    having been in retail music sales for 6 years I can fully support this theory, most young guys into metal I put into two categories, they either want a Marshall amp or they dont want a Marshall amp and will search high and low and listen with their ears or eyes, half of them I deal with specifically dont want a Marshall amp but they cant tell me why at the same time, all they say is "I just dont like them" or "every one has one"