• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

I don't get it (Krank Amps)...

somedude

I figure you're the one to ask since you signed up today to make this post, so here goes. Can you back that up with any proof?
He can't. HC deleted all the reviews due to the outrage that was happening in their forums because of it. They wouldn't even allow Krank reviews for the longest time.

I guess the only real proof that it happened is if you can still find those old threads in the HC forum, and that the newest review on the Revolution is from July 06 when the heads been around since 2003.

Myself, I remember the product spam that was happening on a couple of forum at the time... as well as reading the HC threads that guys were linking to in the spam threads.

That said... I too found it odd that someone with only 1 post would post such a thing....

alaskagrown

They use those on Metalocalypse, so they must rule!

Actually the band Priestess use them and they sounded pretty good when I saw them. They aren't all that metal, more stoner rock... The Kranks worked for them.

defaultoprime

I got two friends that own a Krankenstein... Loomis and another guy here in Milwaukee... the amps sound nice enough... Marshally... lots of crunch... plenty loud...

The one here in Milwaukee, however, did break down after less than a year and had to be shipped back to Krank... my bud wasn't real happy about it... unlikely that he'd buy another me thinks...

JTM100

I grew up playing Metal. I plugged into a couple of different Krank amps at a DOA convetion a couple of years ago. I thought they were about the worst sounding amps that I have ever heard.

Kelly

I figure you're the one to ask since you signed up today to make this post, so here goes. Can you back that up with any proof?
I didnt sign up to make this post. Ive been cruising these forums fo awhile but never joined because my main email account is hotmail. Im not knocking Krank, as Ive never played one. But it is common knowledge that they were banned from the HC user reviews until recently. BTW, Ive been a HC member since around '98.

bish0p34

Just my two cents worth... I recently got a call to record a song for an upcoming benefit album (my band is playing the show) before a gig I had with another band that night. I had my H&K in the trunk, but decided to see what they had in there to record. I can't help it, I love trying new toys... they had a Dr. Z (forgot the model), JCM 900, and a Krankenstein. I talked to the engineer about how I used a Krank at another benefit a few years ago, and how I was turned off by the sound. Turns out it was his amp... Spent a few minutes turning knobs, used it to lay down my tracks and was satisfied with the sound. Quite surprising. It had a Marshall-like sound with a lot more gain. I didn't toy around too much, but you can get a good tone from it and I'd take another look if the price was right. Keep in mind, I play a lot of styles, but my heart's still in metal.

Personal opinion, and it dosen't mean squat, but I think they're really ugly.
Yep. But this means nothing to the type of people who play Kranks. With BC Rich and Dean pointy guitars.

Buddas are ugly as hell to me, but they sound badass.

Flah

Although I'm in the Minority....I've owned and played Krank Revolution heads and they do sound very good when dialed in. Noise floor is phenominal for such a high gain amp. The Clean channel isn't "sparkly" or "buttery" but pretty good and yes...Clean!! I think the company sabotaged themselves. All in all though for $15-$1600.00 not a bad amp at all...I've spent way more on so called "great amps" that well....I'd rather have the Krank if given the choice. In fact.....think I'll hunt me down another one and not give a rats ass "what my friends or people on the forums might say" Like I got sucked into before...lol!!!
I agree 100%. It takes awhile but you can dial in some great tones with that amp. I think part of the trick is the balance between the treble and the presence controls, which you can use to take out the fizz. Also cranking the amp at more than bedroom levels really helps the sound. I think that's why the Krank Jr. amps are selling very well - because you can crank em up and not go deaf.

If'n you were looking for one, I have a half stack for sale....... It's not that I don't like the Krank, but I like my ENGL Savage / Bogner 2x12 rig better - mostly because I have 4 channels with that rig.

Flah

Yep. But this means nothing to the type of people who play Kranks. With BC Rich and Dean pointy guitars.

Buddas are ugly as hell to me, but they sound badass.
Youch, hit a guy where it hurts.

Nah, I don't care what other people think about em. And anyway, having owned some really bitchin custom guitars in the past, I would say that USA BC Rich and USA Deans are better made than even PRS.

fuzzfan1

Nah, I don't care what other people think about em. And anyway, having owned some really bitchin custom guitars in the past, I would say that USA BC Rich and USA Deans are better made than even PRS.
:NUTS:rotflmao

I've owned some sweet USA Jackson's and(like you) could care less what others around here think about so called "Pointy Guitars". But IMO, that statement is absurd! Especially the BC Rich's! But hey, to each his own! If you're happy with your guitars and their build quality, that's all that matters! :AOK

rockon1

Platinum Supporting Member
Yeah never played a Krank but I too own and dig my pointy Ibanez RG's Geez Im kind of retro after all!

:BEERBob

macmax77

Silver Supporting Member
Was in GC today for some assorted sundries. I happened across the scene of a young long haired metal guy with the full entourage in tow. Mom, dad, girlfriend, a few buddies, and a younger sibling or two. Hell I think mom even had the family dog in her purse. Dude was shredding out this most horrible, unaccurate, choppy, clumsy, death medal gobbldygook. Through a Krank amp The girl and mom give me the "isn't he bitchin" look. I could barely walk away without a comment. Or throwing up a little. Still it was cool seeing "rock star to be" rocking out and his friends and family getting such a kick out if it I never had the support as a youngster.

In retrospect I shoulda said "dudes no John Mayers is he"

Crank amps are cheap, they look like bitchin metal machines, and have the buzz saw sound. The young metal guys must eat that stuff up. Hell "Krank" What better name?

I saw him too, he said before he was into metal he was a TGP member, but now he is taking classes and starting to play his guitar a bit more! :D

Flah

:NUTS:rotflmao

I've owned some sweet USA Jackson's and(like you) could care less what others around here think about so called "Pointy Guitars". But IMO, that statement is absurd! Especially the BC Rich's! But hey, to each his own! If you're happy with your guitars and their build quality, that's all that matters! :AOK
I dunno dude, I've owned two PRS Custom 10 tops and I've played several others..... even though I've only owned one custom shop B.C. Rich, you really should see the quality of this guitar - I can find no flaws whatsoever. When I installed my EMGs I opened everything up, and the routing and wiring is impeccable.

Maybe it doesn't have the 10 top of my PRSs, but it doesn't use abalam for the inlays either.......

And you should see the Dean USA. It is the most intricately detailed guitar I've ever owned. Triple ply binding like a Les Paul Custom, and made way better than any Gibson, and I've owned several of those too.

Noah

Silver Supporting Member
I knew Tony Dow, the founder of "Krank" amps long before he started the company. He was/is a really nice guy. He was doing repairs and mods on amps out of his garage in Tempe, Arizona for a long time, and was just as poor as any other starving artist. He wrote great catchy pop-punk tunes, and even tried out for my own band "The Orphans" at one point. I don't remember him being a metalhead at all, but that's who his amps seem to appeal to.

I don't know how Krank amps got their funding or how he was able to turn his home amp repair shop into a big company, but I'm very happy for his success.

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
How is Krank still in business, well they have very loyal customers. Most of the Krank customers seem like they would take a bullet for Tony. I wouldn't take a bullet for Jim Marshall or Leo Fender (may he rest in peace), so its hard for me to understand this devotion to a brand or product.

Most Krank threads usually have someone from the Krank forums signing up to defend them.

Krank had some of the most overhyped marketing ever. Most manufacturers hype their products, but Krank took it to a new level.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom