• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

I don't get it (Krank Amps)...

ed84246

I don't know who owns the company these days, but I do know that Tony Krank is back to doing repairs/mods in Tempe, AZ.

rooster.
Tony "Krank" - come on...that's his real name? Guess he was born to "Krank it up" then. Fortuitous for someone who ended up designing metal amps. Guess the other end of the spectrum would be those "Larry" amps. I understand they sound amazing, but not exactly the most rock name for an amp is it? At least the guy's name wasn't Irving or something...be kinda hard to sell to the Black Metal crowd.

BluePat

Use your ears to listen to the amp(s), not the rhetoric...

I have a Chadwick, and I subject that thing to the stress test from Hell (as I do ALL MY AMPS) and it puts a Marshall to shame (Marshall's sound like they're homesick): Mercury Magnetic trannies, both power and output (how good is that?) Sprague orange drops for tone shaping, and a sensibly laid out preamp gain stage (all the power amp layouts/designs between manufacturers are virtually identical, dontcha know...) No choke (I like that, I'm a minimalist) I will admit the FX loop leaves a little to be desired, but what FX loop doesn't?

I can't speak for Krankensteins, etc but I'm thinking with the right pups, tubes, biasing and speakers, they're qualified contenders compared to anything else in the marketplace designed to do that heavy umpteen pre-amp stage saturated gain thing (think rectum fryer) sound.

Not paid by nor endorsed by Krank BTW

Wolf Static

The Krank Chadwick is without question comparable, if not better than most amps in its class. By that I don't mean the death/ uber-metal category either. I'm referring to British-voiced high gain amps, including the Bogner Ecstasy which I own. The real key is to not assume they're built for metal exclusively and actually try these amps out, as you would any other amp.

Most, if not all ALL manufacturers of high gain amps will attract the annoying grincore, death metal brats with no respect for personal hygene or music in general. This includes Diezel, Marshall, Mesa, Peavey, Egnater and even Bogner (Uberschall anyone?). It's no reflection on the company or the products. That being said, even a tone monster virtuoso such as Jeff Kollman doesn't have a problem playing with a Krank either.

No, I'm not paid or endorsed by Krank, however try out a Chadwick before passing judgment on the company. That means try it with different gain and EQ settings and for goodness sake, forget the stereotypes and don't assume these great little machines are only made for one style.

Last edited:

ungarn

"Dimebag" attached to anything will sell to a demographic that does not frequent TGP much.

Not good, not bad, just accurate.

jeffh

Gold Supporting Member
I was at the "Sounds of the Underground" tour last year ( or was it 2007 ?).

10 metal bands, at least 7 of them playing one or more Krank amps. Might be shared back line but they were moving gear in and out for each band.

I have tried a Krank, not my thing, but they seem to have a market.

macmax77

Silver Supporting Member
I figure you're the one to ask since you signed up today to make this post, so here goes. Can you back that up with any proof?
what he's saying is the truth, Krank wrote great reviews about themselves and they were removed from HC

they also seemed to had a venture selling milk.

weird, i know, but at least an entertaining read.

PFCG

My favorite band Arch Enemy uses them and they sound sweet!

Never played one though. They seem pretty decent. The price may be a tad high for the build quality, but that never stopped anyone around here! :D

Wizard of Ozz

Gold Supporting Member
Krank amps stink IMHO. I've played their Krankenstein & Revolution 2.0 models and didn't like either one. I'll stick to my Diezels, VHTs, and Marshalls.

Oh and their practice of posting phony user reviews on different online forums is beyond wrong.

anoobis

Krank amps stink IMHO. I've played their Krankenstein & Revolution 2.0 models and didn't like either one. I'll stick to my Diezels, VHTs, and Marshalls.

Oh and their practice of posting phony user reviews on different online forums is beyond wrong.
I'm curious if other companies have not done this as well and just have not been caught? It's pretty easy to be anyone you want on the Internet, no? Anyway, it's the same to me as getting your friends to write reviews or paying/sponsoring people to say your product is great. It's all ********, really.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
Same thing with "Coffin Cases" - unbelievable amount of advertising, yet who would buy one of those God-awful things?

Loudboy
I would and did. The case is just a bit longer than almost any other out there. I know this - I searched high and low for one to fit my Jerrycaster with its custom shaped, long headstock. The coffin case fits it perfectly, is extremely well built, and frankly perfect for the guitar's Grateful Dead vibe. I'm extremely pleased with every aspect of it.

grego7

has left the building
Platinum Supporting Member
I knew Tony Dow, the founder of "Krank" amps long before he started the company. He was/is a really nice guy. He was doing repairs and mods on amps out of his garage in Tempe, Arizona for a long time, and was just as poor as any other starving artist. He wrote great catchy pop-punk tunes, and even tried out for my own band "The Orphans" at one point. I don't remember him being a metalhead at all, but that's who his amps seem to appeal to.

I don't know how Krank amps got their funding or how he was able to turn his home amp repair shop into a big company, but I'm very happy for his success.

The guy that played Wally on Leave it to Beaver started Krank amps?

Wow.

Kranktech

How is Krank still in business, well they have very loyal customers. Most of the Krank customers seem like they would take a bullet for Tony. I wouldn't take a bullet for Jim Marshall or Leo Fender (may he rest in peace), so its hard for me to understand this devotion to a brand or product.

Most Krank threads usually have someone from the Krank forums signing up to defend them.

Krank had some of the most overhyped marketing ever. Most manufacturers hype their products, but Krank took it to a new level.
The people responsible for the hyper marketing 'techniques' no longer work for the company.

Patrick

Kranktech

Tony "Krank" - come on...that's his real name? Guess he was born to "Krank it up" then. Fortuitous for someone who ended up designing metal amps. Guess the other end of the spectrum would be those "Larry" amps. I understand they sound amazing, but not exactly the most rock name for an amp is it? At least the guy's name wasn't Irving or something...be kinda hard to sell to the Black Metal crowd.

Really, it's not his name.
Well, Tony is his name but his last name isn't Krank.
It used to be the name of his band, yeah, The Kranks.
The amps and mods he did started getting popular around the Phoenix area, he just got to be know as Tony Krank.

(Seriously, if your name was Tony with the last name Dow, would you
call your company Dow amps?
Yeah, didn't think so.)

He's probably not gonna take me to lunch after someone sends him this link!

Patrick
Amp Tech Service
Krank Amplification

gldtp99

I recently replaced preamp tubes in a Krankenstein for a local guy-----he's been playing the amp for @3 yrs with the orig tubes--- he didn't have the $$$ for new output tubes just then but seemed happy with the new pre tubes.
The amp sounded fine to me--- i think it does just what it was designed to do-- it's not supposed to sound like a Vintage Fender, etc amp.
The owner plays a pointy USA Dean in a low tuning and plays his style very well. I don't see any problem with these amps whatsoever---- they aren't something i'd want (not my style) but they do what they're supposed to do.
Maybe since they're not a Dumble or TW clone, they'll take a bashing around here--- i don't get the negative vibes over an amp that's not someone's cup of tea---- but might be just what someone else needs................gldtp99

Trending Topics

Top Bottom