I don't get it. Twin Reverb vs AC 30.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by easyed, Oct 22, 2019.

1. easyed

easyed Supporting Member

People gripe about how heavy the Twin reverb is, but I almost never see a complaint about how heavy the Vox AC 30 is.

They are both 2x12's, so the dimensions are pretty much the same.

Current specifications for weight:
    Twin Reverb: 69 lbs.
    AC 30: 71 lbs.

OK. That's only a 2 pound difference, but the Twin is slightly lighter. So why do I read all the whining about how heavy the Twin is and almost none about the AC30?

bluesbreaker59, jamme61 and candid_x like this.
  2. bdm

bdm Supporting Member

Because a good AC/30 is worth it.

3. Goldfinger62

Goldfinger62 Member

+1

4. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Supporting Member

Because an AC30 makes one of the greatest sounds an amp can make. And (for the sounds I want to make at least) a Twin does not. And because both of them are lighter than the Matchless DC30 and the Bad Cat Black Cat, which are higher up on my particular chain of sonic value.

jbd3, ldizzle, Riq and 6 others like this.
  5. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

I've seen people whinge about the weight of an AC30.

(actually I've seen people whinge about just about everything lol).

Coalface1971, sinasl1, Pezza and 53 others like this.
  6. WillLane

WillLane Member

I see a lot of people "complain" about the weight of an AC30. Conversely, I haven't seen many say anything about the weight of a Twin. :confused

They're both heavy but people should stop being wimps. Get a dolly cart for it if you don't already have a flight case, and pick the thing up with your legs and don't use the handles. Easy.

7. Suave Eddie

Suave Eddie Member

My Mesa Lonestar 1x12 is rated by Mesa at 72 lbs. and it's an oversize cabinet for a 1x12. Heavy and cumbersome. At least it has wheels.

8. Kelly

Kelly Member

The people whining are the coffee shop players who never had to unload a truck full of racks and 2x18 pa cabs.

9. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Supporting Member

10. musekatcher

musekatcher Supporting Member

The Vox thing is interesting to me. I never saw or heard of them till the last decade, or less, thanks mostly to forums. I view them as exotic, or what folks acquire when they want to one-up the Fender and Marshall crowd. In that respect, they aren't going to complain - the main objective is achieved: different. Its a great sound, but not what I want for an entire set or gig. Also, the Vox-to-Fender owner ratio is probably 1:10, so you are going to hear 10 times as many complaints from Twin owners, at the exact same complaint rate.

Danny D, scopa, johnnyjj and 10 others like this.
  11. Ryno1331

Ryno1331 Supporting Member

I've seen people complain in it on here but you're right, it is disproportionate.

Pseudohobbit likes this.
  12. scmavl

scmavl Enjoyer Silver Supporting Member

You’ve never heard of The Beatles?

dalezjc, ACME_INC, Danny D and 23 others like this.
  13. WillLane

WillLane Member

VOX is kind of... quiet. Their amps are loud but VOX itself is quiet. I think VOX could market itself better, but the truth is they are used in the studio and in live situations much more than people realize.

My theory is that people associate guitars with Fender amps for Blues/Jazz/Classic Rock and Marshalls for Rock/Metal, but VOX is much more often used for genres where the guitar takes a back seat and fills a role among many. Think pop, Church music, ambient, indie. VOX does classic and rock well, too, but more often you see other amps in those genres. VOX is there but the guitarist isn't the focus so the amp doesn't get much attention. But they are there, catching themselves on fire.

14. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Supporting Member

I couldn't disagree more. What about the Beatles, U2, Queen, Foo Fighters, REM, Tom Petty, Bonnie Raitt, among others, whose signature sounds are either partly or exclusively based on Voxes?

15. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

Doesn’t every single Vox thread loosely contain the message...’Loved my AC30 but sold it because it was so insanely heavy and I was worried about my ailing back/couldn’t take it up stairs without help/was no longer training as an Mr Olympia level Bodybuilder/ran out of steroids/it caused a gravitational anomaly in my house as it was so dense for its size’?

You know, that kind of thing. ;)

16. halcyon

halcyon Member

People often complain about weight here because there are a lot of old people here.

But hey, give ‘em a break. Their generation did Woodstock and blah blah blah...

...blah blah blah blah blah...

17. TP Parter

TP Parter Member

Wimps. My Tremoverb combo's shipping weight was listed as 107 lbs. Which is why I converted it to a head. o_O

He_Ma, GFrank, DeadLazy and 7 others like this.
  18. WillLane

WillLane Member

I think you may be misunderstanding me. I'm not saying VOX is bad for classic rock or rock in general. I'm just saying that, most often, the average guitar player will think Fender for blues/jazz/classic rock or Marshall for rock/metal, compared to VOX. Those bands are exceptions to those stereotypes, I guess.

Amps get attention because players use them and have them on stage. So if you think about those players and their setups, Brian May is probably the most ostentatious with his VOX amps setup. Otherwise, you've got one or two AC30's on stage cooking eggs in the back.

Flip that, then, and consider how many rock bands use stacks upon stacks of Marshalls.

19. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

Even an AC15 weighs 50 pounds.

20. Steppin' Wolfe

Steppin' Wolfe Member

these Guys???

Pre-CBS, epauley, Ron and 10 others like this.