• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

I don't get Kiss.

That's what's funny: though Foghat and AC/DC ploughed much the same soil, I'll go to my grave loving AC/DC, while Foghat just doesn't move me. Probably has something to do with being 13 years old when Back in Black landed.

Not terribly different from diehard Kiss fans, either, I think. Horses for courses, right?
I would assume you were too young to have seen Foghat live. The records fail to capture. The studio albums are boogie woodie rock love and heartache songs. The live experience was METAL as phuck.

1967SG

Blue Oyster Cult probably could have written anything in Kiss's repertoire, but I don't think Kiss could have come up with anything like "Transmaniacon MC," "Stairway to the Stars," "I'm on the Lamb But I Ain't No Sheep," "Workshop of the Telescopes," "Hot Rails to Hell," "The Subhuman," "Dominance and Submission," "ME 262," "Flaming Telepaths/Astronomy," or "(Don't Fear) The Reaper," for openers.

Someone must have put a little loco weed into your feed. ;)
Really, Cities on Flame is cheesy? He must SHARE the weed.:D:D:D

milli vanilli

I would assume you were too young to have seen Foghat live. The records fail to capture. The studio albums are boogie woodie rock love and heartache songs. The live experience was METAL as phuck.
Nothing against Foghat...but they are not, were not, never will be 'metal as ****'. Last Slayer concert I went to I didn't see a single Foghat t shirt LOL

Nothing against Foghat...but they are not, were not, never will be 'metal as ****'. Last Slayer concert I went to I didn't see a single Foghat t shirt LOL
Not compared to Slayer, LOL.

They did have screaming guitars, double bass drum and songs that just got faster as they went. I have seen "metal" shows that were way more tame than a Foghat concert.

BTW - The most violence I ever saw at a concert was Bob Seager. People in my section were openly fighting.

milli vanilli

Not compared to Slayer, LOL.

They did have screaming guitars, double bass drum and songs that just got faster as they went. I have seen "metal" shows that were way more tame than a Foghat concert.

BTW - The most violence I ever saw at a concert was Bob Seager. People in my section were openly fighting.
I really wish I was around for a lot of those bands in their heyday... hell, I wish I could have seen a young Elvis live. First guy to come up with a time machine hit me up, I have some shows to see!

Toby Krebs

Lol! I am a voice instructor and will use this clip to show my students hat happens when we dont use correct technique! Crust Never Sleeps!

DiNiro

I'm surprised a band like Kiss wouldn't just phone it in and lip sync at this point. So, for that I give him credit. Kiss is one of those style over substance bands IMO so I have to respect the honest performance.

wattage

When I was a kid they were like Gods sent down from some mythical mountain. The look and the showmanship had a lot to do with the obsession but I heard them and fell in love with Alive, then Destroyer came out and that sealed any deal necessary for me. The sound of that album still makes me crazy. Knock them for whatever you want, they probably deserve the lion's share of the **** they get but they worked their MF'ing asses off to make it and they did OK I guess. Buck Owens and Roy Clark made me fall in love with guitars but KISS made me love everything about Rock n Roll. Ace Frehley will always be my guitar hero, the sentiment runs strong, child of the 70's and all. Everybody else may hear something differently but they had a ton of great songs IMO, they were solid players, sang well and made it look like they were doing most incredible thing in the universe.

It all went off the rails of course but man it was a pretty freaking glorious heyday and I can still listen to them today so that's all I need out of it really.

Ace rules :bow

stratotastic

What would be the descriptor for Paul's vocals in this clip from a few days ago?

Yea...I watched those clips the other day. He's at the end of the line. This is when he may be wise to shift into the KISS acoustic revue or American Songbook phase of his career. Gotta say, I appreciate the authenticity (and balls) to not fake it in some way, but I'd be pretty disappointed if I shelled out for a show and that's what I got.

Heinz57Pep

Yea...I watched those clips the other day. He's at the end of the line. This is when he may be wise to shift into the KISS acoustic revue or American Songbook phase of his career. Gotta say, I appreciate the authenticity (and balls) to not fake it in some way, but I'd be pretty disappointed if I shelled out for a show and that's what I got.
Clearly the KISS crew is determined to plow forward/soldier on until the "End of the Road" tour is over (sometime in 2022?). I certainly won't be buying a ticket, but plenty of people will be. Way too much cash on the line for those guys to do what's probably the right thing and pack it up.

Thumpalumpacus

I spent the mid-70s growing up in Iran. Before we moved there in 1974, your assumption is perfectly correct. By the time we fled at the end of 1978, the 'Hat were already slipping out of public consciousness -- and my little juvenile mind, as well.

StuRdesign

.............The other day I was listening to 88.5 here in L.A. while driving to an appointment. A song comes on and it's pretty catchy, has that feel that I associate with kiss, chugging along party tune. It was a great song, I thought to myself " this is the best Kiss song I've ever heard". My bad, it turned out to be Slade, with the little ditty, "Mama we're all crazy now". I googled it just now, 1972, then Kiss, 1973. So to me, it is as though I found the blueprint musically...........
No coincidence. Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley attended a lot of Slade's US gigs when they first went over and in their words "took copious notes". They're still good friends with Slade's drummer Don Powell and name-checked him at a recent-ish gig in Denmark where Don now lives. The broken mirror guitar was copied from seeing Noddy Holder's mirrored top hat.
Kiss also followed Slade's lead by naming their live album ".....Alive" as was Slade's - and they also copied Slade's occasional phonetic spelling of words such as "Nite".

Trending Topics

Top Bottom