I don't get my fuzz box-- How do you use Yours?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wopr, Nov 30, 2005.

1. wopr

wopr Member

I was just looking for a new flavor of "distortion", so I thought I'd try out a fuzz box, but I am having a hard time getting a good-usable tone from it. So, I am asking for help. I got the AM Sunface with NKT, and run it though a Deluxe reverb with a les paul. I play most flavors of rock, and some light metal.

The bad is on its own, it seems harsh and bright. If I turn the fuzz up full, the high end is harsh, and if I try to adjust that out, the fuzz is gone and sounds thin.

The good is I do like it for leads. I turn the fuzz down, and stack it with my landgraff. It gives me a lot of gain and sustain which is nice. But, something tells me I could get a smoother tone from a high-gain distortion pedal that is not as harsh and touchy.

AM makes great pedals, so I am not knocking it. Part of the problem is my playing. I'm not good at using my volume knob while playing and I tend to hit my strings hard, which pushes the pedal. So, maybe fuzz is just not for me.

But, I would love to hear how others use fuzz whether for chords or leads, settings, whatever.

Thanks,

steve

2. Just1more

Just1more Member

I have the Sunface, & it works great for me. I am using it with a 50-100 watt Marshall amp, so maybe the DR doesn't have enough headroom. I have the fuzz cranked, & adjust the volume for level. Also, I prefer single coil guitars with it. With a Les Paul, I prefer a Tonebender type fuzz.

3. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

Well steve, i had a sun face once and ran it through a 20 watt amp with a telecaster and the results were steller. the hole trick is to use your volume knob on the guitar. I would set the amp up to were it just starts to break-up and crank-up the sunface and go back and forth with the volume on the guitar. Wih the sunface its possible to get the cracked wah sound by rolling off the volume and fat fuzz at full volume. Hope this helps a little. ~ teleblaster

4. dave s

dave s Member

Another single-coil user with the Sunface Fuzz. I run mine similarly to the poster above. Fuzz full on, volume set to correct level.

The key in getting useable tones from the fuzz is using the volume knobs on your guitar. One tone I like a lot comes from turning the guitars volume completely off then raising it to around 2-3 range. This gets a tone that is similar to turning on a wah pedal and setting the pedal somewhere in the middle.

With a les paul, you should be able to get great Neil Young type rhythm and lead tones with ease ala Cinnamon Girl.

Another thing I like doing is at the end of a song after using the fuzz in the 'guitar volume almost off' mode is to raise the guitar volume to almost full on to get it to break into that sweet harmonic feedback. With the Sunface fuzz, it's the 'on-demand' harmonic feedback variety.

Keep playing around with it and see if using the guitar's volume helps get the 'flavors' you need.

dave

5. dave s

dave s Member

Ha! I need to post quicker! We couldn't have covered the exact same topic any better at exactly the same time.

dave

6. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

Yea , that was wild. We must have hit it just right. Now if only my drummer could do that!

7. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

In my experience, a Fuzz Face-type fuzz sounds best into an amp that is already cooking, especially a Marshall.

I haven't had much luck with fuzzes and Fenders. Distortion boxes and Fenders, yep, but not fuzz boxes...

8. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Same experience here... my old Fender loved tubescreamers and super distortion pedals and whatever else I could throw in front of it that didn't involve square wave clipping...

But fuzz pedals just did not get along with it AT ALL... if you get it cooking a bit though... or maybe put a boost after your fuzz (thats what I used to do) you might have a little more success.

-TJK

9. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

Now that you mention it, I did have success using an old Arbiter Fuzz Face driving a Tube Works Tube Driver pedal with Fender amps. In that case, the Tube Driver worked as the overdriven amp. Or something like that...

10. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Ditto here. I like fuzzes front-ending an overdrive pedal, like a Tube Screamer or such. You can use the OD to dial out the harshness and raspiness of the fuzz, to taste.

/rick

11. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

You could try adjusting the bias, but all in all maybe it's just not the best for you. Fuzzes hell transistors are very individual. Don't give up yet, try what others are saying, but the good news is because it's a quality pedal, you can probably get out about what you have in and try something slightly different. For the stuff you are doing usually I have the amp running very loudly and adjust the amp gain to the fuzz gain until I get a singing tone I like.

BJ's Dynamic Red Distorton and Love Pedals Black Magic should be up you alley and maybe even the wooly Keeley Rat2. It was on my pedalboard for a long time and sounds phenominal when boosted with an overdrive. Those will certainly do what you are looking for. Hope you find something that's perfect for you.

12. erksin

erksin Member

I could never get a fuzz to work for me either until I started stacking one in front of my Timmy (a Hellbilly) - now I'm finally getting fuzz tones I like and use them way more than I ever thought I would.

13. 6789

6789 Member

I use a VintageFX Fuzz Riot pedal for a Davie Allan "Blues' Theme" sound. I play mostly low single notes through it. sounds great. like a bumble bee buzzing but without out-of-control noise and feedback.

14. theHoss

theHoss Member

I have an MJM Foxey Fuzz. It is a Big Muff clone, which I understand to be a lot thicker and darker than the tonebender type clones. Anyways, I use mine as a thick harmonic lead tone for leads that I primarily play leggato style, or are very note selective. Its sustains wonderfully, its dark and thick, it is a beautiful sound. I went and played a tone bender clone, the MJM britbender, but I found I really didn't like it. It was harsh, thin, and trebley.....

FYI, I play a LP into a Tweed type amp (Heritage Liberty). Its also very nice with an RMC2 in fornt of it.

15. Shakkal

Shakkal Member

I don't like fuzzes with my Deluxe Reverb much, although I sometimes use my Fulltone '70 with it. Less so before I clipped the treble bleed cap off the volume control of the amp. The same fuzzes that don't work too well with my Deluxe Reverb work much better with my Marshall or Tweed-ish voiced amps, at almost any setting. To me the kinda mid-scooped voicing of the BF/SF Fender preamp doesn't merge as well with most fuzzes. I have an old small Silvertone amp with a preamp voiced similar to a Tweed Fender and even through that all my fuzzes work great even with the amp set very clean.

16. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Clipping the treble cap is a good idea for the DR regardless of whether your using a fuzz or not. Its pretty much useless IMO. I also understand fuzzes not getting along with the scooped mids Blacface sound. To this end I think the Fulltone '69 might be the ticket since it has a knob the adjusts midrange content. Also rolling the tone down on you guitar might help smooth the rough edges.

Finally I always wondered about the whole "harsh fuzzes sound better through marshalls" theory. Really? Marshalls already have a pretty harsh upper midrange CLANG that I would think would be HORRIBLE with fuzzes and especially Treble boosters. I know lots of people dig this combination but on paper it looks like a disaster. I am a fender guy so I don't have a clue.