• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

I don’t get pedals. What’s the big deal?

Counterpoint is if you find a sound or pedal that inspires you you will inevitably play more. I’ve had experiences like that with pedals that have taken me in a direction I never would have otherwise.
Sure. Music is about manipulating sound afterall. But if you're spending more time thinking about gear and tinkering with gear than listening to music and playing music, there is a problem. Even if your gear flat sucks, but you are still inspired enough by the music to keep playing, your playing and music are going to improve far more than spending time and potential energy on gear. In other words, count on yourself and your creative thinking more than the bought gear to manipulate the sound. What would be a personal healthy balance for listening to and making music with thinking about and tinkering with gear? 90/10, 70/30? How much available time is currently being spent immersed in music?

Last edited:

( . )( . )

I’m guessing that this won’t be a popular view, but...

I like music gear as much as I like music. I like camera gear as much as I like photography. I like collecting old Nintendo games more than I like playing them.

Some guys are collectors/hoarders/etc.

Personally, as sad as it seems to some, I have gear that I bought and have never used.

While I don’t have a ton of pedals, they’re a small item for collecting, and it’s easy to get into them for most guitarists. I recently am into ChaseBliss stuff, which is really out there. It’s so relatively expensive that it forces me to play it and dig into it, as compared to the 1986 DS-1 that I picked up at a yard sale for $20. I’ll probaly never play that pedal, but I have compulsions to buy gear when it’s a great deal.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think that this was a troll post. I’m not defensive about my tastes in guitar sounds or my addiction to gear, even when someone gets on my case about it.

Last edited:

tonedover

Platinum Supporting Member
Im on gear page, in the effects section, but i dont understand “gear” or “effects”

this place sometimes.... apparently we attract, ahem, all types... “bless his heart”

jrockbridge

I don’t get players who only plug straight into amps. If you have multiple channels, and built in effects, or a modern digital amp then sure, you can get plenty of variety. I could live with that kinda setup.

What do you do when you are stuck in a rut because you are bored with your amp only setup? Personally, my pedals offer different feel and sound that go beyond my amps. I do sometimes plug straight into an amp and get a glorious feel and sound. And there is some variety to be had from changing knobs on the guitar but pedals offer a huge variety of feels, textures, sounds. And, in the case of a single channel, clean amp, pedals can offer the equivalent of extra channels, dirt, variety of dirt, wet sounds, textures, echoes, etc.

Bottom line, all my guitar heroes used stomp boxes.

Twoinch

Improve is subjective. When gain at 2 o clock is all the gain I need from my amp, I don’t see what I would be using that overdrive for.

Now, if you want that modern metal sound, sure.

An SD1 for modern metal?

Gain at two o'clock? On what amp? Gain a two o'clock on my amp would be clean. Add a cranked SD-1 will warn the tubes and get me to ACDC levels of gain.

Having one single amp base tone/gain seems like a boring guitar life.

Most all pro/touring guitarists are using gain pedals. As well as modulation of some sort, reverb, delay, whatever.

The fact that a rat can imitate so many different amp tones, and you couldn't get a good sound out of it makes me wonder.....

ndparse89

My deal with the "guitar into amp is the only sound I'll ever need" guys is, do you eat the same thing for every meal? My guitar and amp could be a filet mignon, but I don't want to eat steak for EVERY meal I have. What pedals give you is variety.

I played nylon and steel string acoustics for quite a few years, and a good mic was the closest I got to buying gear, oh yeah, and a Fishman pickup. I did spend money to maintain my nails, usually at Vietnamese nail salons. I had an interest in capos and picks for the steel string. That was it. And I was happy. On occasion I'd geek out in a stairwell for reverb. But live, no reverb either.

But now I'm playing electric, and the goals are different. I don't want my electric to sound just like a louder acoustic. What's the fun in that? All of a sudden I needed pedals. First it was typical classic/psych/blues rock type stuff, then I made the mistake of listening to splatt and the fuzz/effects guys here, and remembered I also like experimental and more adventuous music, and soundtracky stuff. So then my pedal needs changed again.

So I guess just follow where your music takes you. It's all good.

Dirty Dave

Gold Supporting Member
First: I’m not trying to stir a debate or a “you don’t need this, you just need to play better” debate. This is an honest to god question.

However, what’s puzzling me is the pedal craze. What’s the appeal of simple diode clipping that makes it cost $200+? I remember the RAT pedal from the 90s, and thirty years later it still reminds me of the terrible 15W/8” practice transistor amps we had back then.

Anyhow, didn’t want to dismiss things right away. My valvestate back then had diode clipping too, after all. Got my hands on a PCB, finished a lovepedal jubilee clone last week. Tried it.
Sounds exactly like what it is: overdriven transistors with a low pass.

ELI5, please. I see you’re all having fun collecting pedals and I feel like I’m missing out on something.
Judging by 10+ pages of replies so far, it's a pretty good question . .
For me, it's been a really expensive but very awesome learning curve.
Advertising certainly plays a large part.

I started buying pedals 'needing' one of everything.
I bought various choruses, only to find that I don't really want to use chorus, - and 3 different Strymon delay units, only to discover that I preferred the sound of the Echoplex at a quarter of the cost.
Noise gates, only to realise that I preferred single-coil noise.
Spring reverb units that I totally needed until I actually got one.
3 tremolo pedals, which I never use - but I like the idea of using one.
I bought a miscellany of drive pedals, only to discover that the sound I'm looking for really comes from a boosted, compressed valve.
I bought a Cali76 stacked edition only to find that I prefer the sound of my cheaper Keeley 4 knob.
I really love my Phase 97, but it's not on my board (although I might put it on there today . . )
It's the journey.

walldot

I'm going to end this here. I've gotten some good answers, and some pretty poor responses too.

My apologies.
I didn't mean to push your buttons. I'm going to dial it back now. Delay my judgment. Don't want to boost this debate into overdrive. I may still not fully grasp what all the fuzz is about, but I'm going to be mute for a while and let your comments echo in my head. Don't wahnt to be perceived as a troll.

Dirty Dave

Gold Supporting Member
I'm going to end this here. I've gotten some good answers, and some pretty poor responses too.

My apologies.
I didn't mean to push your buttons. I'm going to dial it back now. Delay my judgment. Don't want to boost this debate into overdrive. I may still not fully grasp what all the fuzz is about, but I'm going to be mute for a while and let your comments echo in my head. Don't wahnt to be perceived as a troll.
thumbsup.png
Peace!

I don't get guitar straight into amp, frankly.
I do. Sorta. But when I see it mentioned in a pedal forum that the player doesn’t get pedals, thinks they sound bad, and only plugs straight into an amp, it comes across as snobbery or some kind of boast about their ears being more finely attuned than anyone else.

It’s hard to imagine any recording of a guitarist in the last 40 years that didn’t use some kind of boost or overdrive pedal. Maybe OP just doesn’t know how to properly integrate one into his rig?

I’m guessing that this won’t be a popular view, but...

I like music gear as much as I like music. I like camera gear as much as I like photography. I like collecting old Nintendo games more than I like playing them.

Some guys are collectors/hoarders/etc.

Personally, as sad as it seems to some, I have gear that I bought and have never used.

While I don’t have a ton of pedals, they’re a small item for collecting, and it’s easy to get into them for most guitarists. I recently am into ChaseBliss stuff, which is really out there. It’s so relatively expensive that it forces me to play it and dig into it, as compared to the 1986 DS-1 that I picked up at a yard sale for $20. I’ll probaly never play that pedal, but I have compulsions to buy gear when it’s a great deal.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think that this was a troll post. I’m not defensive about my tastes in guitar sounds or my addiction to gear, even when someone gets on my case about it.
Man you remind me of me, lol. I too did hobby photography years ago and of course I had to get another lens or two.

When I saw your “?”, I picked up my couch guitar and played 96 Tears, no joke!

For what it’s worth, I can relate to what you’re saying. I started out buying what I thought that I “needed”, and that was rock bottom basic, a guitar, an amp and later an overdrive pedal.

But the more that I listened to songs, the more I realized that something was missing bad, other than my lack of guitar talent and tone deafness.

So I did buy more pedals, as I learned more songs and what was making a guitar on different songs sound the way they did.
Think about some Stones’ songs, to me the phaser made those songs.
To learn other Stones songs, I had to learn to play open G, and yes I took the 6th string off but not to be “like Keith”. He did it for a reason I think and I had to learn on my own what that reason was by playing Start Me Up, Brown Sugar and the others. You simply don’t need it, never use it, and it gets in your way.

I’m old, so I was all over reverb and tremolo from day one. I cut my guitar “tooth” (I’m back woods Oklahoma country transplanted to Arkansas and everyone knows that we don’t have a full set) on the Ventures.

Anyway, I have way too much “stuff” for one person and for my playing ability, but I love it and each one gives me pleasure.

Am I a collector, sure probably; a hoarder, sure probably; a guitar player, sure maybe.
But all of those are basically subjective, depending on who you ask. Right?
I feel like maybe I am all, and and at the same time, maybe I’m not; maybe I simply love them and the whole messed up, never can get to where I want to be playing guitar thing.

Maybe I just need to go to a doctor?

Trending Topics