I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU BUT I AM MORE THAN A LITTLE PEEVED.

Telstrat9x

Free enterprise for the most part is a good thing. At times it is not so good. The world is full of shuckers and hustlers and no industry is exempt from them. The Guitar Industry is no exception. When makers begin to offer a single model of a guitar with levels of quality you know it is time to rethink it. Back in the 50's and 60's a Tele, for example, was just that a Tele. Oh they came in a few colors and you could have them eventually with a maple or rosewood board. But that was it! The same model that Mike Bloomfield used on the famous Dylan Sessions at Columbia Studios in NYC (the one that Al Kooper innovated his brilliant organ work on "LIKE A ROLLING STONE" et al) was the same model Tele any dreamer could have purchased at any store that carried them across the country. NOW THAT WAS EGALITARIAN. You could get that guitar for the same exact price that Bloomfield or some kid with a paper route would pay.

We all had the same shot. And no matter where you bought it or who you were you had an equal shot at getting a pro guitar and you got it for the one and only price offered. But today...wow! Teles (or Strats, or Pauls or most any guitar) come in such a variety of price levels. It used to be that the pickups on a Tele were the same on all of the Teles made. That is the way it should be today. They made the best pups and guitars they could and offered them at a nominal price. This "Baskin-Robbins" idea of "29 flavors" is a rip off. By diluting the "Tele" into cheap/not so cheap/moderate/pro-leve/classic/top of the line compartments they have cheapened the guitar itself. It used to be that a Tele or a Strat or a Paul was a guitar of distinction. Nowadays you would have to go to the top of the line in order to get the quality that was so easily had back in the day. All you had to do was ask for a Tele and play one or two of them and off you went on the road to your dreams. So much for progress. I mean it costs the same to wind a cheap pickup as it does to wind a pro-quality pickup. Back in the day Fender and Gibson did not offer sub-standard products at any price point. Don't even get me started on the ploy of "artist models"!! Wow, don't.

Last edited:

Lung plunger

Guitars cost a lot of money back in the day. That standard Tele would cost around $1500+ in today's dollar. Also, there are several price points making them more accessible to the person wanting to pick up the guitar and learn.

I like options. This has gotta be a troll, or uninformed post.

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
I have no idea what you are talking about. When I was a kid, the only inexpensive guitars available were junk.

Today, you can find solid, giggable guitars at every price point. The Squier CV Pbass I have for just over $300 new is a marvel.

As far as having the same shot, uh, no. QC from the big boys was hit and miss depending on what years you were looking at. There wasn't a brand like PRS that was consistently high QC at all prices/models.

GiorgioV

I disagree with pretty much EVERYTHING that you said.

To start with, guitars were more expensive back then. MUCH more expensive. Entry level stuff was garbage.

You are also romanticizing vintage stuff way too much. Yes they are amazing FOR CERTAIN THINGS. Not for everything.

I'll make the case that a modern american professional telecaster made today is BETTER than a telecaster that you could buy in the '50s. It has saddles that offer better intonation, it has a much more playable neck, it has a treble bleed, and it has a much more comfortable heel. Also it's pickups do not run the risk of squealing.

It does not have the "mojo" but for the working guitarist it is a better, more reliable instrument.

If you are a serious guitar player that needs an instrument to WORK you don't need the custom shop or vintage stuff, not in the slightest.

Now, if you're an armchair warrior that likes to complain about stuff on the internet OTOH....

Last edited:

Jazzandmore

Platinum Supporting Member
This seems to be a consistent and honestly confusing misconception seen here all the time. That all stuff cost less back in the day. Seems a lot of people truly don’t understand that it is not 1 for 1 in comparing costs from years ago. How is this very simple concept not understood by the average American?

Free enterprise for the most part is a good thing. At times it is not so good. The world is full of shuckers and hustlers and no industry is exempt from them. The Guitar Industry is no exception. When makers begin to offer a single model of a guitar with levels of quality you know it is time to rethink it. Back in the 50's and 60's a Tele, for example, was just that a Tele. Oh they came in a few colors and you could have them eventually with a maple or rosewood board. But that was it! The same model that Mike Bloomfield used on the famous Dylan Sessions at Columbia Studios in NYC (the one that Al Kooper innovated his brilliant organ work on "LIKE A ROLLING STONE" et al) was the same model Tele any dreamer could have purchased at any store that carried them across the country. NOW THAT WAS EGALITARIAN. You could get that guitar for the same exact price that Bloomfield or some kid with a paper route would pay.

We all had the same shot. And no matter where you bought it or who you were you had an equal shot at getting a pro guitar and you got it for the one and only price offered. But today...wow! Teles (or Strats, or Pauls or most any guitar) come in such a variety of price levels. It used to be that the pickups on a Tele were the same on all of the Teles made. That is the way it should be today. They made the best pups and guitars they could and offered them at a nominal price. This "Baskin-Robbins" idea of "29 flavors" is a rip off. By diluting the "Tele" into cheap/not so cheap/moderate/pro-leve/classic/top of the line compartments they have cheapened the guitar itself. It used to be that a Tele or a Strat or a Paul was a guitar of distinction. Nowadays you would have to go to the top of the line in order to get the quality that was so easily had back in the day. All you had to do was ask for a Tele and play one or two of them and off you went on the road to your dreams. So much for progress. I mean it costs the same to wind a cheap pickup as it does to wind a pro-quality pickup. Back in the day Fender and Gibson did not offer sub-standard products at any price point. Don't even get me started on the ploy of "artist models"!! Wow, don't.
Ok so you want everything made in china at the cheapest quality standard and sold at sub $400?

Because your argument is that you want that or conversely you want the American Original line to be the only offering and every guitar runs about $2k.

Either approach is absolute nonsense. Fender is in the business of making money, not selling guitars. If you believe the primary function of their business is musical instruments then you are more naive than a kindergartener. The goal is to maximize their market share and they can't do that if all they offer is one model of strat, tele, etc. Customers will look elsewhere to find what they want.

Consumers want diverse product choice. I don't want to buy a squire bullet, and a kid learning guitar for the first time doesn't want to spend $2k to get an ultra or original. So you saying too much product offering is a bad thing isn't even scolding the industry or companies. It's scolding us for wanted a diverse product line. Maybe think twice before you hit that submit button next time.

Chris Scott

First off, you're not adjusting for inflation when trying to compare prices today to "back in the day", so...:dunno

Secondly, imagine standing in some mom 'n pop music store back in say 1971, and some guy walked up to you with their smartphone and said "...hey kid, I'm from the future...check out the selection of stuff we have now".

You'd **** yourself, and rightfully so - the amount of gear available today, for ALL budgets and skill levels, is ridiculous.

Stop complaining, and start practicing. :cool:

Last edited:

Trending Topics