I don't know what I'm looking for...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by markschick, Feb 9, 2012.

1. markschick

markschick Supporting Member

So I am "finishing up" my rig...morgan ac20 with a bunch of cool pedals...and a duesenberg starplayer tv. But now that it's here...I just don't think its what I'm looking for. I'm going for an alternative rock kind of sound...think augustana, tokyo police club, even some death cab for cutie. Should I be looking more in the direction of a fender amp? Maybe a Morgan RV35...or just a plain old hot rod deville? Not even sure. Suggestions?

2. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Played around with a lot of speakers and valves yet? Could be that simple, really. Also some amps may sound off IRL but record heavenly, so I'd try put it onto track to see how you like the recorded tone of your amp.

A great approach would be trying to figure out what fails your tone. Any EQ peaks or dips where you don't want them to be? Too much or too little headroom? This requires you to be tough on your choice of gear and any preconceptions you might have.

3. Greaser

Greaser Member

If you're not sure what sound you want, you should go to a store with a nice selection and play through them for a while.

If you want to own a few different amps to try out, I would start out with stuff on the cheaper end of the scale until you find the general type of sound you want (ie vox, fender, etc.), then you can try out the boutique alternatives to those sounds.

That's what I would do anyway...