I don't like my G12H30: help me find something else

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cbickford84, Mar 25, 2015.

1. cbickford84

cbickford84 Supporting Member

I honestly dont mind how it sounds clean, but if I run a fuzz through it, I find myself in need of ear plugs. Bright and shrill. I plugged another speaker (WGS G12C/S) in -- problem solved.

Now that I think about it, I also had a Maz 18 that I sold because I hated how it sounded with my fuzz pedals; it also had a G12H.

So what should I replace it with? I want something fairly effecient. The amp is a Bruno Cowtipper.

2. KOG

KOG Supporting Member

Have you tried the Heritage version of the G12H (55). It has been my favorite for years. It is softer (less shrill) and more "vintage" sounding than the standard version.

3. Gas Hed

Gas Hed Member

Strangely I want something more bright that my G12H30s.

4. cbickford84

I'm happy with it until I use a certain few pedals.

5. ItJustRocks

ItJustRocks Gold Supporting Member

My SUF pedals sound fantastic through a G12H30 75hz.

6. rickc007

rickc007 Gold Supporting Member

I like this one too
    The standard G12H30 sounds ok to me in stores, or really broken in ... but new one can be strident

Huge fan of Heritage Greenbacks when using fuzz, really tames the high end

Have Many amps, and the best fuzz tone was through a Dr. Z Carmen Ghia with a Heritage Greenback

7. batfish

batfish Member

I just went through this. I had a boutique amp that had this speaker, and it sounded good as long as it wasn't pointed directly at me. I hated the way it sounded when I was standing directly in front, if the amp was on a stand or something like that - just really harsh in the beam. The speaker was definitely broken in, I've cranked it many times.

I sold that amp and am much happier with what I have now, which is a 20 watt Marshall head running on a couple cabs. Both have just regular old fashioned celestion G12m greenbacks ( on has the Heritage and one has the normal reissues), and I like their mellower sound, I find them much less Harsh. If 20 or 25 watts is not enough power handling for your amp, maybe a celetion creamback, which is supposed to sound a lot like the G12m, but handles more power.

I don't use a fuzz pedal, so can't vouch for how well they work with a fuzz. I do use a treble booster, and it sounds great when playing loud!

Another benefit ( or drawback, depending on your situation), is the greebacks ( or creamback ) are less efficient than the G12H30, so will be quieter, allowing you to turn your amp up more to attain the same volume. I like this, as it allows me to get the amp in its sweet spot easier.

Also, Go Patriots! ( native NH guy, here ).

8. David Garner

David Garner Member

Greenbacks are a great suggestion, and I'd also consider higher wattage Greenback style speakers like the Eminence Private Jack and the Splawn Small Block.

I have a pair of Small Block 25s (55 watt) in my AC30 and they sound fantastic. The same amp through my 2061cx cab with G12H30 Anniversaries still sounds good, but it's significantly brighter, and it's already pretty bright through the Small Blocks. The higher wattage speakers should theoretically be brighter than standard Greenbacks, though I havent A/B'd them.

9. Monkeyman

Monkeyman Supporting Member

Eminence Red, White, & Blues, your problem's are solved. You can hit them with all you've got, like the old EV's, and they won't blow and sound great across the board. Fast break in too. Love em.

10. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

My cure for bright n brittle with OD pedals is a Tone Tubby 40/40, it tonal range is similar to Celestions but it's got that smoother hemp thing going on. You'll find you'll usually cut bass a notch or 2 cause it is warmer and fuller on bottom, but you'll gain probably 2-3 notches more usable range on treble control.

You can see that extra bottom here, this a CRex, a g12-85 and a 40/40.
    [​IMG]

You can see that TT bottom extension below 150hz, but it's not blurry like a Celestion, very defined and you'll pick it up as way more bass, but that's what the bass knob on your amp is there for. Dial it back a bit and if you got mids knob punch it up a notch.

Across true mids Celestion and TT are voiced very close, it's the way it presents those mids, it's not as loose. It is a cleaner running speaker, which allows you to dial up more gain with getting compressed.

Even though TT show more high end up around 3-5k it all goes back to hemps smoother nature, it's never ice picky, just poignant when you dial that treble knob up a notch or 3 higher than what your use to currently.

It really does take a total rethink of EQ setting if your coming from Celestion camp, but worth it to me.

11. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

I'm curious about this matter as well.
    How is Weber Legacy's equivalent and WGS Reaper compares to the G12H30 Anniv in the beamy harsh top end department?

12. abnerfm

abnerfm Member

I always liked the G12H30 because it sounds killer in the demos but, when I got to try it, I got ear fatigue in 2 minutes. For some reason, the Eminence Wizard sounds almost identical except that it doesn't sound as harsh. And if it sounds great right out of the box, you can figure out how it sounds after break in period

13. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

I couldn't get rid of the G12H30 fast enough. Went with a Creamback M and a Greenback and have been very happy with them.

14. plexirocker 68

plexirocker 68 Member

Try the WGS reaper... IMO is a much better speaker than the G12h30 anniversary speaker... The wgs reaper has a better balanced midrange and tone, with a high end that isn't strident at all.... And has a slightly looser low end than a g12h30 anniversary ... Great speaker for sure and that's coming from a guy that has several old greenbacks, scumbacks and wgs speakers also

15. cbickford84

I just bought a ASW KTS-70

16. ItJustRocks

ItJustRocks Gold Supporting Member

Really curious about ASW. So far Celestion gas always cut through the best for me.

17. cbickford84

I'll let you know how it sounds, but I'm thinking anything would be better right now. I mean, it can't be a coincidence that I have had two amps with this speaker and hated them both when using fuzz or higher gain od's, right? First the Maz; now the Bruno. I sold the Maz, but I refuse to sell the Cowtipper. I love it, even with a speaker I don't like. I did a ton of research on the Bruno before I bought it, and everyone says they take pedals well.

I have heard people rave about the KTS for a long time, I had to try one. And I wanted to stay in the same ballpark as the G12H. It was super expensive though, so it better sound damn good!

I almost went with a Heritage, and I have had a Creamback before -- like that one, too.

18. OdysseyMike

OdysseyMike Member

My amp (Dr Z M12) came with a 25w Greenback, changed it out for a G12H30 and hated it! It was already broken in, got it used from a friend. Just not a good match for that amp maybe. Very forward, harsh and almost scooped sounding, not pleasant. I couldn't really eq out the highs without making it sound muddy.

Then I got a Weber Silver Bell...

That's the ticket! Everything I loved about the Greenback (warm, sweet, compressed, Mids!) but tighter and louder like the G12H30. Less compressed than the Greenback and more midrange than the G12H30. An excellent compromise between solid punch and compressed warmth. Really has its own thing going on, it's a great guitar speaker. Weber Silver Bell, 50w, light dope. Thanks Weber!

19. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

Ceramic or Alnico?

20. rickc007

rickc007 Gold Supporting Member

That's my Exact description of the G12H30 also.

After my speaker shootout on the M12, went with the Creamback G12M-65
    GREAT match with that amp