• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

I dont like orange amps

Gridlock

Silver Supporting Member
Good morning! How are things over on the west coast? It's probably time for another Central FL gearfest!

Interesting your experience with the Rocker 15. I have one and it's anything but bright and raspy. I had to put a 7 band EQ in the loop to get it bright enough for me. The lead channel can get fizzy when you gain it up at low volumes, but at band volumes that pretty much goes away. Maybe you had a bad tube from the start?

Al
Hi Al,
You actually influenced me into purchasing a Boss 7-Band EQ when we met at a Gearfest a few years ago. I used the EQ with my Marshall 1974x and the EQ (set to a “V”) really opened up that amp, and added missing low-end and made that Marshall sound good, even at lower volumes.

I really wanted to love the Rocker 15. It seemed like the prefect little grab and go amp. I wanted a small amp that didn’t need pedals. I did try my EQ with the Rocker, and I don’t recall it improving the amps tone. My Rocker 15 was new, but a it was a floor model. Maybe there was something was wrong with the amp. I returned the Rocker 15 while it under warranty. I have also since sold my Marshall 1974x. Guess that I just get along with EL84 powered amps.

I’m sticking with my three vintage Fender amps and my Marshall Astoria for now. Really happy with my current gear.

Al, I Hope to see you soon at the next Tampa Gearfest.

Grid

Last edited:

Neil.Fish

yeah, they were made to handle the thunderverb. i never even knew about it until just now, so i'm sad to see it had such a brief life span. reverb turned up nothing. i have a little experience with a marshall mode four cab (similarly oversized with the same k100s) in ir form and it's very love/hate to my ears. it can be awesome if you work with it. huge low end, lots of highs.

i assume that the orange version would be similar, but with even more low end. i'm thinking it must be the skids, because they're the only cabs that have those ad they're the only cabs that sound that way. the cane cloth helps, too. the two notes version is cool, but not super useful just yet.

i thought the retro 50 was just what the custom shop 50 used to be called. i didn't know it was something else, let alone orange's version of marshall's version of a fender. the bluesbreaker (same preamp with different tubes in a combo version) is one of my favorite clean amps of all time, maybe #2. so an orange version of it? i'm curious now. there's one on reverb. but if we're being petty, i prefer the no pics, big orange squares aesthetics of the cs50.

i don't think the or120 is that far from a plexi in some regards. i guess they'd have to decide where to put the mids before combining two of the most famously middy amp brands of all time; marshall high or orange low. and since they pretty much only do v30s, they have to design for those, which aren't what i reach for when i'm after something "vintage" sounding.
Yeah man, I think the custom shop were making the AD50 and the Retro50 at the same time - two basic but great single channel, handwired amps and then they decided to sort of meld the two together and make the CS50. My CS50 and AD50 are pretty different so I’d love to try a retro and see where the similarities are.

Im with you about the vintage 30s. Great for some stuff but just a sound that’s been done to death for me.

I hear Ade (Orange’s amp designer) loves Alnico speakers and I must say they are the perfect match to my CS50 for what I’m trying to achieve.

Oh yeah defo agree about the skids adding some low end too!

Hulakatt

Has done terrible things for a klondike bar
Gold Supporting Member
Orange amps are what people buy before they realize what good amps sound like.
I would say that I own and have played quite a large number of really good amps and I still really like Oranges. It's not the neutral, transparent amp some people around here seem to yearn for just to use as a pedal platform, it imparts it's own, very distinct voice and it's a classic sound. It's not the most versatile amp but I'd rather sound good than versatile any day.

Why do so many want versatile gear? Are they all playing in covers bands?

Axe-Man

I remember a jam session years ago where one bloke was playing through a Thunderverb 200 and a 4x12. Damn that thing sounded killer. Seriously killer and they don’t even often get rated by Orange lovers.

feet

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah man, I think the custom shop were making the AD50 and the Retro50 at the same time - two basic but great single channel, handwired amps and then they decided to sort of meld the two together and make the CS50. My CS50 and AD50 are pretty different so I’d love to try a retro and see where the similarities are.

Im with you about the vintage 30s. Great for some stuff but just a sound that’s been done to death for me.

I hear Ade (Orange’s amp designer) loves Alnico speakers and I must say they are the perfect match to my CS50 for what I’m trying to achieve.

Oh yeah defo agree about the skids adding some low end too!
that's pretty interesting. i guess that makes sense given they are adamant not to reissue or remake anything. maybe it's a more drastic version of all the revisions they've done to the rockerverb, for instance.

you've got me wondering about speakers now- that cd50 must sound awesome through a vox 212 or that marshall 112 with the aged greenback. or i guess you could just get an orange cab and throw something else in there. those cabs have such an inherent character that i bet you could really unlock something interesting with a completely different cab and the class a/ab switch.

i saw an interview where ade said his favorite cab configuration is 410s, and he loves 10" speakers most of all. aside from the 210 cab that came with the super rare shiny terror, i've never seen or heard anything else about it. given the amount of horsepower that even the lower wattage oranges put out, i guess they can't really mess around too much with lower wattage speakers, which sucks.

I would say that I own and have played quite a large number of really good amps and I still really like Oranges. It's not the neutral, transparent amp some people around here seem to yearn for just to use as a pedal platform, it imparts it's own, very distinct voice and it's a classic sound. It's not the most versatile amp but I'd rather sound good than versatile any day.

Why do so many want versatile gear? Are they all playing in covers bands?
i find myself here after spending the pandemic delving into digital solutions: i don't need an amp to do a million things well. just one thing transcendently. an orange can do that. more than that, but that one thing is enough.

i'm starting to become a believer in the "amps have a sweet spot" theory, and i am for that. i play an orange when i want to sound orange. not because i need fender cleans and marshall crunch and recto high gain or whatever instantly from one amp. that's why more than one amp exists on earth. that all made sense when i was in high school but now i'd rather just use the right tool for the job, within reason.

I remember a jam session years ago where one bloke was playing through a Thunderverb 200 and a 4x12. Damn that thing sounded killer. Seriously killer and they don’t even often get rated by Orange lovers.
i guess they were made for people who found the rockerverb and it's 129dbs too subtle. i guess it was just too much firepower (and weight, and weird tubes, and giant cabinet) for this day and age. not sure how the thunderverb 50 compares to the 200 or a rockerverb 50, though.

SexHaver420

The first and only response to this thread should have just been "ok".

The Rockerverb is a pretty good amp and I've always wanted to try a Dual Dark or a Thunderverb 200. The Terror Bass series and AD 200 are rad bass amps. I do prefer Matamps to modern Oranges but they're cool amps and I'd have no problem ever gigging with one.I don't like the smaller lunchbox type heads though.

I personally hate Fender, Marshall, and Vox amps though (I've played all of the "good and/or desirable ones" at a high volume besides some of the super vintage Fenders). Fenders are too scooped, Marshalls are too thin, and Voxes are too bright. A Matamp or Orange style circuit fixes those issues for me because they're thicker, more mid heavy, voiced darker, and louder than most amps (especially the Matamps).

Axe-Man

I don’t think the TV200 used strange tubes. 6550’s I believe.

The TV200 is a better amp than the TV50.

I liked my RV50 MkII but the Thunderverb was pretty epic.

Size was normal Rockerverb size. Weight was about 6 pounds more.

Axe-Man

I’d describe my Vox as dark and mid focused. Cranked it’s like the 3 bears story; just right. It’s definitely not bright. It has really nice caps and tubes and is hand wired though.

The Rockerverb is a pretty good amp and I've always wanted to try a Dual Dark or a Thunderverb 200. The Terror Bass series and AD 200 are rad bass amps. I do prefer Matamps to modern Oranges but they're cool amps and I'd have no problem ever gigging with one.I don't like the smaller lunchbox type heads though.

I personally hate Fender, Marshall, and Vox amps though (I've played all of the "good and/or desirable ones" at a high volume besides some of the super vintage Fenders). Fenders are too scooped, Marshalls are too thin, and Voxes are too bright. A Matamp or Orange style circuit fixes those issues for me because they're thicker, more mid heavy, voiced darker, and louder than most amps (especially the Matamps).

Hulakatt

Has done terrible things for a klondike bar
Gold Supporting Member
i'm starting to become a believer in the "amps have a sweet spot" theory, and i am for that. i play an orange when i want to sound orange. not because i need fender cleans and marshall crunch and recto high gain or whatever instantly from one amp. that's why more than one amp exists on earth. that all made sense when i was in high school but now i'd rather just use the right tool for the job, within reason
The right tool for the right job is the perfect way to look for an amp. The upside and downside is that you're still gonna sound like you, so it's also about finding the tool with the right fit for you as well. That helps narrow it down some!

classicplayer

[/QUOTE] i find myself here after spending the pandemic delving into digital solutions: i don't need an amp to do a million things well. just one thing transcendently. an orange can do that. more than that, but that one thing is enough.

i'm starting to become a believer in the "amps have a sweet spot" theory, and i am for that. i play an orange
when i want to sound orange. not because i need fender cleans and marshall crunch and recto high gain or whatever instantly from one amp. that's why more than one amp exists on earth. that all made sense when i was in high school but now i'd rather just use the right tool for the job, within reason. [/QUOTE]

Well said! It's the reason why I'm satisfied with my Dark Terror as my only tube amp. I can get a quite useable clean tone with my Les Paul (not Fender clean, but Orange clean). To get Orange to produce a solid bright tone means playing it with more volume, and that may be the reason some owners find fault with them. In a home environment, it may not be possible to turn up volume. It's true for many amps, but with Orange's emphasis on lower mids (over higher mids with Marshall amps) turning up the Orange volume can bring more highs into play. This has been my experience with the lunchbox size Dark Terror. As always, YMMV.

classicplayer

feet

Silver Supporting Member

the bass terror sure sounded super versatile and awesome in demos. the best thing about the ad200 is that it always sounds right. two big knobs, three little ones that don't do a whole lot and that's all you need. no flippy switches, graphic eq, parametric eq or any of that. it just sounds awesome. the end.

i don't know too much about how modern oranges and matamps differ. i saw once in a video one puts the eq before the gain and the other after. is that why you prefer the matamps?

The right tool for the right job is the perfect way to look for an amp. The upside and downside is that you're still gonna sound like you, so it's also about finding the tool with the right fit for you as well. That helps narrow it down some!
i'm just saying that if you don't want an orange sound, why would you play an orange? if you need a "versatile" amp, play one of those. don't blame the orange for being itself. i use the vox to vox and the marshall to marshall and i'm pleased with that arrangement for now. it's going to sound like me anyway.

if i somehow needed a million sounds instantly, i'm not sure i'd reach for anything i own, first. i purposely picked a bunch of non generic gear. i thought that was the point.

Well said! It's the reason why I'm satisfied with my Dark Terror as my only tube amp. I can get a quite useable clean tone with my Les Paul (not Fender clean, but Orange clean). To get Orange to produce a solid bright tone means playing it with more volume, and that may be the reason some owners find fault with them. In a home environment, it may not be possible to turn up volume. It's true for many amps, but with Orange's emphasis on lower mids (over higher mids with Marshall amps) turning up the Orange volume can bring more highs into play. This has been my experience with the lunchbox size Dark Terror. As always, YMMV.

classicplayer
never given a dark amp a shot. it doesn't seem like the thing for me on paper- i figure a regular orange with an overdrive is about the same thing, but i could be wrong. still, it's fascinating that one could get all they need from a three knob lunch box. carry on! i never thought that turning them up was the answer for more highs; i just thought it sounded awesome. could an eq pedal do something similar for you at lower volumes?

Plaid Sabbath

Platinum Supporting Member
I can understand some folks not digging Orange amps for various reasons. I guess it really depends on the amp and sounds you're wanting to hear.

My personal favorite is the OR15. I like to think of it as my "Les Paul Junior Amp." It's a dead simple, single channel. Set it up to breathe fire at balls out maximum and ride the guitar controls for dynamics.

Good through a 1x12 but even better through a 4x12. It's not my main amp, but when I want a big, warm blanket of distortion I fire up the OR15. Kind of a Melvins + Corrosion of Conformity vibe. No effects needed. Enjoy the big, fuzzy bottom!

Noel Holden

I owned a '73 Graphic 80 years and years ago. Ran a hardtail Strat into a Big Muff into it. It was fun (from what I remember). But it kept blowing fuses, and now I know those early Oranges had a bias circuit flaw that's easily fixed.
Modern Oranges (tube ones), I like very much, but they are quite distinct in their tonality. The upper mid and treble response is peculiar unto itself. Kind of like Blackstar amps have. I recently played through an AD30, and really liked it. But it played and felt more like a boutique Vox-based amp than an Orange. So I don't think it's representative. I played their OR50 a few years ago and remember liking it but it wasn't particularly high gain. Wouldn't have any particular use for it. Nice though.

bloozeman1

Silver Supporting Member

So why didn't you just reply "ok" and move on? :dunno :p

IloveDD

I have owned Micro Dark, Dark Terror and now I have Jim Root Terror, Orange amps are indeed interesting, even I am more towards to Peavey brown tight sound. But everytime after i sold my Orange next week i start to miss that sound, so I have some kind lovehate thing towards Orange amps. Orange gets you inspired different way, they're not best at low volumes bcos those heads really want to rock, that dirty unpolished sound just rampant, Orange amps take pedals well and I like my Rooter sound with SD-1 in front of it, not tightest but not too loose, if you crank the volume..oh God, that heavy rock n roll sound makes you just want play those quints and full chords, Orange shines in leads and cleans, cuts through mix like hot knife but it is not like another, you can't never have same tight Peavey sound of them.

classicplayer

never given a dark amp a shot. it doesn't seem like the thing for me on paper- i figure a regular orange with an overdrive is about the same thing, but i could be wrong. still, it's fascinating that one could get all they need from a three knob lunch box. carry on! i never thought that turning them up was the answer for more highs; i just thought it sounded awesome. could an eq pedal do something similar for you at lower volumes?
Sorry! Missed this paragraph. The Dark Terror has been my only tube amp for the last 3+ years. It's not the be-all, end-all amp by any means, but I can set it for “clean”, or mid-gainy sounds, and a barking type of grind; using either one of my Les Pauls.

Like most amps Orange amps, the Dark Terror produces it's characteristic lower middy tone when it’s volume is down, but turn it up a bit and those three simple looking knobs become part of the whole e.q. of the amp. The louder the volume, the more of a contribution each knob makes individually. Tweak just one knob and the amp's e.q. will change (acts as a faux e.q. pedal). Don’t believe me? Try it for yourself. I use the amp with a PPC112 and its V30 now well-broken in. I imagine this e.q. facet would be even more noticeable into multiple speaker configurations, or with the amp/speakers off of the floor.

My pet peeve is that many Orange amp users never take the time to get throughly familiar with their new purchase amd after twiddling dials, or matching with different speaker brands, end up deciding their new purchase just isn't their thing.

classicplayer

Devin

Low Voltage
idk what people are talking about in this thread RN, but just wanted to mention since my participation pages ago I am a new owner of a "rocker terror 15" and HUGELY happy with it.

stargazer747

idk what people are talking about in this thread RN, but just wanted to mention since my participation pages ago I am a new owner of a "rocker terror 15" and HUGELY happy with it.
That's my remaining Orange Terror I have left out of 5x in recent years. It won over the Micro Dark Terror, Dark Terror, Jim Root, and Brent Hinds. The Rocker 15 Terror is my kind of 70s & 80s Classic/Hard Rock tone. Place any medium overdrive to push the preamp tubes some more and you've got a metal monster.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom