I don't like Reverb!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by parker, Feb 4, 2008.

1. parker

parker Member

With all my amps hanging around, I realize that not one has reverb.....I hate the sound of it, it sounds fake, give me pure tube tone any day, if a little ambience is needed I use a little delay.... :messedup heresy or truth?

2. demon

demon Member

yeah, different strokes..
    I personally just gotta have a wisp of reverb.

3. hamfist

hamfist Member

Delay for me !!

Reverb always seems to mush up the tones I tend to use.

4. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

None of mine have any either. But the delay effect I have right now ain't quite right for that background type reverb I'd use (Deluxe Memory Man). In a pinch I can use some quiet slow tremolo, but I'd rather use that effect up front instead of background warble duty.

Just put in for a VanAmps Sole-Mate so I can get that bit of background expansion going. And I'll never say no to the moods when I want to crank it up and go surfing!

BTW I had a silverface princeton reverb that had a nice clean sound, but when you kicked in the reverb even a bit, the hiss from that extra gain stage kicked in, a bit bothersome. So I'm going to go with the brownface-type Princeton for its superior trem, and add a nice clean quiet reverb effect. My master plan!

5. bc-cosmo

bc-cosmo Member

I don't like reverb...
    I love it-ah!

6. Free

Free Member

Definitely not truth - just your opinion.

7. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

None of my amps have reverb.
    I don't mind a little here and there on the cleans but,most amps reverb sounds bad to me.I did like the reverb on the TR CR Sig V1 I had.I replaced the 12ax7 reverb tube for a 12au7 to soften it and set low the reverb was excellent .

8. cacibi

cacibi Member

I'm starting to agree with you - but I think it depends on the reverb. I don't think there's anything better than a 3-knob, Fender spring reverb for guitar - either in a tank or built in (such as the Vibroking). Being able to control the mix and tone really helps - just like being able to control the mix, and to some degree the tone (either through it's analog nature, or through simulating analog through a high-pass filter in a digital unit) in a delay unit.

I do find that you can do a huge range of things with delay, though. And it's the perfect thing for just adding a little ambiance.

9. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

None of my personal amps have it either. I hate the boing. If I want a little verb, I stick my Nova in the FX loop. But I'm not a fan of verb at all really.

I ran sound for a band not too long ago and the singer complained about not having her vox wet enough. She stated she sounds bad without reverb. I wanted to tell her she just sounded bad and no amount of reverb would change that.

Reverb does not boost talent, but some people swear it does!

10. Jahn

You know the one amp that doesn't need any reverb? My tiny Princeton TV Tweed from '52. "Kim" has some kinda harmonic overwash that just fills up space, even in clean passages, that I pretty much run a Tele into her without any kind of delay/reverb/trem and she'll still sound sweet. I'll only run something gritty like a fuzz/distortion/OD in there once in a while to make her spittier if needed.

But cleaner amps like black/silverfaces I've found to be drier, so I do like a bit of "wet" back there. Not to hide lack of talent but rather to recreate room ambience that doesn't exist. If I don't want that and I'd rather have in your face hi-fidelity, goodbye Reverb.

11. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Rarely use reverb myself, not live, at any rate. I prefer delay, but this is just a personal choice. Reverb is fine when I'm practicing by myself, particularly on cleaner stuff. But I still generally prefer a little delay. Also, when it comes to spring reverb, I much prefer the subtler varieties from the likes of Magnatone, Gibson, Bruno and even my Orange Rockerverb to the boingier reverb of Fender and some Ampegs.

12. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

In general, I'm not into reverb either. I have a few amps that have it, and I fool with it once in a while but, I prefer the pure non-reverb tone of the amp the best.

13. FJTurner

FJTurner Member

Don't like reverb? Great! Don't buy it.

14. dorianadams

dorianadams Member

I like a little but a never set a Fender verb much above 2. Like Roy B... I just crack it.That being said I currently own three amps , none with built in verb. Shopping for a grab and go with verb though.It is really good for outdoor gigs

15. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I don't like reverb and don't use it. My other guitar player drenches everything in reverb and wonders why he can't cut through the band.

16. killer blues

killer blues Member

It is just a tool that you either use or you don't

17. mbratch

mbratch Member

I play in a lot of places that have enough natural reverberation as it is without mushing it up with amp reverb. That being said, in a very dry room, I love the sound of a bit of verb from my BFDR. :)

18. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG]

I never liked reverberb either until I got this amp.

19. Jahn

See to me, this is the amount of reverb i'd be going for. Small room, dry amp, not going to really get that atmospheric thing going on without a little help.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=V-UTimT0zmE

Bingo, got the help. Not over the top either.

20. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

Neither of my amps have reverb. I get that from the best, a Gomez G-Spring. Use as little or as much as you need. Problem solved.

So easy a caveman could do it.