I don't need no steenking 2008 Strat !

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by guitarfish, Jan 22, 2008.

1. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

I knew it was going to happen sooner or later - the "American Series" Strat would be replaced. I have two AmSe's, one I got in 2000 when they first came out, and another I got in 2004 because I couldn't get enough of a good thing. Well, the glorious run of this edition is now over.

Amidst all the hoopla last weekend when the new 2008's were unveiled, I gave my AmSe's a look over. The frets were a bit tarnished, some of the bridge hardware showing some signs of age, and the bodies have some surface scratching, to be expected from normal use.

So I setup a work area, got out my tools, and went to town. Destrung them, polished the frets, cleaned/lubricated all the hardware. Check the truss rod, adjusted the string height, pickup height, set the intonation, and tuned back up.

Then I played each of them for a while, clean and dirty. The red one is tuned down a half step, it's my SRV machine. The other is good ole Standard tuning. Bottom line: two phenomenal, great sounding, great playing guitars.

So hats off to anyone buying the new 2008 models - they look sweet. But I'm dancing with the ones that brung me, until they pry 'em from my cold dead fingers. ;)

Until I get a better pic...
    [​IMG]

2. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Hey...we all know older is better anyways right?:rotflmao

3. Dylan61

Dylan61 Member

Mmm, in other words, your out of Cash aren't yah...

4. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

Actually, no. SATISFIED! :cool:

5. Dylan61

Dylan61 Member

6. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

They didn't really change all that much, did they? Mainly just the saddles on the bridge, and the case. I do like the neck tint tho' in the pics I seen.

7. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

You got the main stuff. The colors are drab though, except for Sienna burst.

8. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

Actually, it's very funny to me that you like the 2000-2007 models. I can't stand them and I prefer the 1987-1999 models. I think I dont like the rolled fingerboard edges. Then again, it might be that I've been playing a first year E4 since about 1988.

Stormin!

9. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

stratzrus

10. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

I never heard of anyone not like the rolled edges. First time for everything, huh? The 2008's still have that AFAIK.

11. KazJY

KazJY Member

Yeah, nothing like a good clean up and setup to make the guitars like new again - I do that sometimes, and it's like having new axes again.

I like playing the few guitars I have - I keep em in rotation easily enough with none of them being ignored for too long. (I don't like when a guitar gets ignored)

12. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

I play an 06 am series and love it. I saw a new one at GC and it semed OK but nothing all that different.

13. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

But do they have that new guitar smell?

14. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

American Standard, American Series, back to American Standard...

What's next: Standard American Series, American Series Standard, Standard Series American Series :crazy

I'm still loving my 1994 Strat Plus... after I tore it apart, got rid of the electronics, pickguard, LSR nut, lace sensors, and locking tuners... basically "un-plus-ed" it... That guitar just feels great to me.

My only gripe is the old-school american logo, which looks like the modern day mexican logo... boooo. oh wel.

I dont like the looks of the new american standard saddles. I always like the brushed smooth ones. Better for palm muting.

15. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

Well OK I should qualify my previous post. I modify most of my guitars so in my 06 Am series I put in a new hss tortis guard with SCN pickups (aged covers) in the neck and mid, Tone Zone in the bridge. Bridge wired with its own cap and 500k pot and the mid and neck on the second tone pot 250K with its own cap (dont; recall the values used but sounds awsome). Its pretty much the perfect guitar for me.

I modeled this guitar after the custom shop 60's hss strat.

16. Speed_Racer71

Speed_Racer71 Member

it has tex mex pickups...arent those kinda cheapo pickups? and dont they come in the MIM stuff? why would they use anything named "mex" in an american guitar. is that just being PC in todays world

if so, Amerimexican Strat it shall be named :D

17. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I had a black 2004 hardtail. I never liked the tuners/bridge assemblies on the American Standard series guitars and much prefer either vintage style safety posts or Sperzels. However, this wasn't an issue on the hardtail and that was a damn fine guitar other than the weak pickups.

18. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

The new '08 Strats still have the Alnico 5 pickups that the American Series have.

Maybe they'll make the American Standard Series next. Get it?