• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

I don't play my R4 enough, thinking about taking it out tonight but...

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
It's an outdoor gig (our space is covered well) and it's ****ing 99 degrees with 85% humidity.
I do love the guitar, I have put in a decent amount of time to make it "gig ready" but it never comes out because of these types of conditions. Also, I use a double gig bag and there is sometimes fear of headstock issues.
What do you think? Is it time to just play the damn thing out?

jvin248

Headstock anxiety will keep you from enjoying the night. I'd take another durable guitar.

A used guitar is worth about half of new, a repaired headstock guitar is worth half of that plus you need to pay about that much to repair it. You'll have to spend a lot of time researching a good repair guy. So it's effective value at the time of fracture is zero. Too much drama for me, maybe for you too. Is the gig paying enough for that risk?

Sure, there are people who gigged for thirty years with no problem, but there are those who tripped with the guitar in the case, that another player tipped it over between songs, and more. Keeping repair guys in business.

hotrats73

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, do it.

I definitely and unfortunately don't gig a lot these days but I always bring a custom shop Les Paul with me. I know it's risky but I've bought them to enjoy them.

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
too risky, IMO
Too hot! I did some testing loading in my other gear to the car and it's just absurd out here today. Tele and PRS it is...
But, I'm going to make it a point to bring her out in the Fall / Winter months for sure. I just cannot afford to have an issue.

jpurcell

I'm in Florida and we gig several nights a week. 90% of the time in outdoor venues in the heat and humidity.
I say gig it. A beautiful guitar like that is made to be played. Put it in the case or gig bag on your breaks instead of a guitar stand.

Phil M

Silver Supporting Member
I pretty much ONLY play my R7/R8 when I play out. They exist to play. I disagree about it being too risky. Then again, I didn’t pay silly money for any of them.

Play it, but bring a case.

Zado

Playing guitars outdoor is always risky, someone might steal them and no guitar is absolutely immune to accidents. Just pay attention and play the hell out of it.

Trending Topics