I don't play my R4 enough, thinking about taking it out tonight but...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gasp100, Aug 10, 2019.

1. muzishun

muzishun Member

Play it or sell it.

martin garlitos, cjp54 and Starshine like this.
  2. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

It's just silly to not play a guitar so it doesn't get broken. Why drive a car if you might be in a wreck? Why step outside if you might get hit by a bus? Why use a knife if you might cut your finger?

Life is too short to worry about silly stuff;)!

Mad-kiwi, e???, DV52 and 11 others like this.
  3. PatriotBadger

PatriotBadger Member

Oh good lord, it's guitar, not a newborn baby. It was 116 here a few days ago, and while it's hot as satan's balls for people, guitars don't spontaneously combust nor turn into pretzels. Play the damn thing out. Just one curmudgeon's opinion.

DV52, Drawde, Da Geezer and 5 others like this.
  4. bigfoamfinger

bigfoamfinger Supporting Member

My high end guitars stay home, where they get plenty of use when I record. It's 100% possible to play a guitar, without taking it to gigs

peskypesky likes this.
  5. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

Gig it at your own risk. Watch out for mosquito spray. Watch out for drunks. Watch out for your bandmates on the tiny stage and look before you swing that neck in any direction. Watch out for ceiling fans. Keep an eye on it during load in, on breaks, and during load out. Have plenty of strain relief on the cord. Make sure the guitar stand in stable. Try not to worry.

Maybe it's not imperative I say all this; there's a member here who has a '54 custom that has apparently 'been through everything' (I'm seeing visions of it being carried on the back of a GI in Vietnam without a case through every firefight in the Mekong Delta, going to the moon & back with the Apollo program, and getting played at the top of Everest) and survived 65 years without a scratch. But ya know how these things tend to go...one day after you draw attention to the resilience of a guitar widely known for a lack of resilience, the smallest thing strikes it just right, cripples it, and snaps the unbroken never-been-broken streak. Call it karmic balance or retribution for tempting fate/jamming a stick in the eye of the guitar gods.

joesnewmatch and peskypesky like this.
  6. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

I would never own a guitar that I wouldn't play at gigs. They are tools, not pretty little ceramic ornaments on grandmas mantelpiece

7. agquake

agquake Supporting Member

This sounds like the right answer

8. Rick51

Rick51 Member

I gigged a 61 LPSG Custom five days a week in rough bars (southwest Baltimore, ever watch "The Wire"?) for three years, plus non-gigging play an hour or two a day. My only guitar. Never a problem. Always either on my shoulder or in its OHSC.

Treating your $4000 R4 that way, on your shoulder or in a hard case always, would radically reduce your risk. You apparently have not spent $200 for a hard case. I love you, man, but that's just penny wise and pound foolish. What are you thinking? I don't blame you for worrying about taking it out, that's the only sensible part of this story.

Starshine likes this.
  9. MkIIC+

MkIIC+ Supporting Member

If you're asking us, then odds are it's time to take her out for the night.

10. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

The car analogy is the best one I think.

People pay $4000 for a guitar and are afraid to take it out or play it in public because something might happen....

Yet they very frequently pay $30,000+ for a vehicle and drive it in the road where there is much much much more likelihood that something could happen to it (not to mention the fact that the more you drive it the faster it'll get to its grave).

People who think $4k guitars are precious things to be handled with white gloves just need to think about how they compare to cars.

11. metrokosmiko

metrokosmiko Member

Who do Gibson guys love to lay their guitars on the floor like that? The body is pulling pressure on the headstock. The whole guitar is standing on its to extremes.

MkIIC+ likes this.
  12. MkIIC+

MkIIC+ Supporting Member

It freaks me out too. I never do it to mine. It just looks like an accident waiting to happen.

My Fenders lay on the floor all the time.

peskypesky and metrokosmiko like this.
  13. Starshine

Starshine Member

To be fair, most people don’t have their guitars insured like they have their cars.

That being said, yes, if you’re lucky enough to be playing shows, play your damn guitars out. Just be careful and realize that all choices in life bear some risk.

14. Gl4th

Gl4th Member

It may drop from your hands at home.

DV52 likes this.
  15. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

16. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

it's not just the chance of it getting damaged. it's the chance of getting it stolen. I can't count the number of musician friends of mine who had valuable instruments stolen before, during, and/or after shows. I myself always gigged with guitars that were not very expensive, but got the job done. And when I start gigging again, I'll do the same thing.

17. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

yes, but don't play it at gigs. unless it's like a really big gig with roadies and security. and even then, be careful.

18. RicardoDiazHimself

RicardoDiazHimself Member

I've played in 130 degrees summers. Just go for it. If the guitar is worth a damn, it will do fine.

TubeStack likes this.
  19. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

An interesting point to make is that the odds of dying in a vehicle related accident in the US is 1/77.

Even with insurance, the risk is quite a bit higher than possibly damaging your $4000 guitar by playing it out.

20. rowdyyates

rowdyyates Supporting Member

I believe if you have a guitar you won’t play anywhere, you should get rid of it.

When I do a bluegrass festival I always take my Collings D2H MR A T. That’s a $10,000 guitar, and it’s in the heat and humidity all day and half the night.