I don't play my R4 enough, thinking about taking it out tonight but...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gasp100, Aug 10, 2019.

1. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

Easily avoidable if you do a few simple things:

- keep it in your sight at all times + have a band member watch it when you use the washroom
    - take the guitar(s) with you when you’re done and exiting the venue to get your vehicle
    - organize gear loading in/out so that a band member is always with the vehicle(s) and by the stage

hotrats73 likes this.
  2. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Geez some of you guys are really paranoid. Play that thing, don't be silly!

modavis99, Phil M, Wagster and 2 others like this.
  3. MkIIC+

MkIIC+ Supporting Member

I can’t believe the odds are that high.

4. Falsecrack

Falsecrack Supporting Member

My brother had the same fears with his Gibby ES-347. He eventually sold it off.

To those of you who insure their guitars, does your policy cover damage done while gigging?

5. RicardoDiazHimself

RicardoDiazHimself Member

To be fair: that's like taking a macallan 40 to a frat party just because you already paid for it, you might as well enjoy it.
    I'd say: yeah, take a mccallan 30 to the frat party. Still top tier, superb quality and taste, you'll be the fanciest guy there. But leave the macallan 40 for a special occasion.
    That Collins is the 40.

peskypesky likes this.
  6. Fitzer

Fitzer Supporting Member

Whenever I've been too worried to use a guitar to the point of not playing it, I sell. It's no fun. I've been there a few times with guitars that were too nice. Something to think about.

7. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Member

Double guitar gigbag? Just No, mate. Get a Reunion Blues or Mono Vertigo with a solid neck support. Don't use a guitar stand on a break between sets; put the R4 back in its gigbag, zip it, and put it in a sensible place where it won't be stepped on, sat on, take a high tumble or get stolen. Wear sensible clothing* for the humidity, have lots of dry handtowels ready for your sweat and to wipe down the guitar. Wax it before you take it to your gig with good carnauba based wax.

And just rock it without worrying about it... Yeah, sure, mate, expect to add your own dings and dongs but that is called really owning your guitar!

* No heavy belt buckles. At least, get a belt buckle covered up with a thick towel of some sort. Wear less abrasive clothing. Dry handtowels and have a quick change of shirts ready when you get drenched. Getting prepared for a hot sweaty gig is half the fun. Have a really dry towel ready in the bag for when the gig ends. That's for wiping your R4 down before packing up.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    Gasp100, Rick51 and Jayyj like this.
  8. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Member

On the subject of guitars being stolen on a gig that is a real and present danger. You have to be sensible about security. Find someone whom you know is 100% reliable to keep an eye on your stuff while you step away and return the favour. Keeping your Gibson on display on a guitar stand attracts the opportunistic thief; a guitar is safer in an anonymous gigbag that does not call out for attention. I don't get it when guitarists show off their guitars on guitar stands. Gibson et alia aren't paying you a dime to advertise their brands for them.

I have a Pacsafe luggage metal cable, and cable ties for the zipper pulls, and I secure it to something immoveable and safe for my guitar in its case or gigbag when i have to go someplace. Knock on wood but so far, no thefts yet. Cable ties slow wouldbe thieves down.

9. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

Another vote for play it.

A lot of people in this sort of thread seem to think the only two options are leave it at home where is safe or kick it around the stage like a football, balance it against the amp when you're not playing it and if you need to pop out for a few minutes that guy by the jukebox with no teeth will keep am eye on it for you - the reality is, if you take your expensive guitar out to a gig and treat it with respect the chances of anything happening to it are very slim.

And in the very unlikely event it does get damaged, if you've had many hours enjoyment from playing it at every gig instead of a few minutes of it sat gingerly resting on your lap a couple of times a week, let that be your comfort. People talk about their guitar's value like it's stocks and shares: it isn't, it's first and foremost an object to be played and enjoyed. If it's worth less in ten years time because it had a few knocks who cares? The real value is in the pleasure you get from playing it.

Life's too short to live it constantly worrying about whether the worst might happen. Be sensible and don't take stupid risks with it, enjoy owning a lovely guitar, and if the worst does happen... it's only a thing.

10. Wagster

Wagster Supporting Member

That R4 needs some battle scars. Play the thing!

TubeStack and hotrats73 like this.
  11. AndreasG

AndreasG Member

Play it, no guitar is meant to be kept at home in a case. Just use common sense in handling it and you will be fine. I regularly gig my vintage Firebird and Les Paul without problems, and transport them in Mono Vertigo Bags

12. Da Geezer

Da Geezer Supporting Member

Liked...for the "satan's balls" comment alone.
    :rotflmao
    And the general idea conveyed

13. Bluzeboy

Bluzeboy Member

This is why I don’t drive, use anything sharp or leave my house.

14. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Member

It's not that high. That is 1 out of every 77 deaths in the USA is attributed to a car crash. Not that 1 out of 77 people will die in a car crash. The actual death rate in the USA is like 10 out of 100,000.

15. Da Geezer

Da Geezer Supporting Member

Utterly ridiculous and misleading, as has been pointed out and debunked in post 54

16. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

LOL, that's what I was thinking...I never worry about it - in fact, I often take two as I need one tuned to open G.

We play in a real dive bar in NYC sometimes...some interesting patrons for sure and not a great area. Funny thing is, I think my biggest risk to manage is our singer/guitarist as he's super careless...I just protect my stuff from him and I'm good.

Blix and Phil M like this.
  17. MkIIC+

MkIIC+ Supporting Member

That is a stat that I would believe.

Johnny Alien likes this.
  18. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

I understand everyone's point and I WILL gig it, but the summer gigs out here are extreme. The venue tacked on a 5th set so 5+ hours and it is SWAMPY, seriously near unbearable outside here this week.
    I didn't mention the guitar was also my 10th wedding anniversary preset.
    And the last time I gigged it down here at least one guy felt the need to come up during sets, gush about it, then tell me it would be a terrible shame if it got stolen while I was actually playing my other guitar I brought LOL.
    And, when I was younger I had a guitar stolen at a gig that exact same way.

All that being said I am going to get Heritage insurance and start bringing it out more.
    On all of my guitars I knock down the finish quite a bit with Scothbrite and wipe them down post gigs, but playing in these extremes there is simply no way to escape your fingers getting "stuck" after a while, it's crazy! My Tele is baked maple with some Danish Oil and even that starts to drag.

Jayyj and peskypesky like this.
  19. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I would gig that guitar except for one thing—-the heat and what happens to Gibson nitro in those conditions, especially on a black guitar.

I live on the Gulf Coast. We gig outside all the time, and the heat and humidity combined is as bad as nearly anywhere. Modern nitro is already soft, takes forever to cure and heat and sweat makes it really soft and gummy.

Combine that with a black finish? You are asking for big, milky cloudy spots on the top where your forearm rests. And it remains after it dries. Some special polishes can remove it, though.

I have a ‘97 R4 Oxblood, so I speak from many years of experience. On hot and humid gigs, I no longer bring a “nitro” finish guitar. I hate the sticky, gummy feel.

peskypesky and Gasp100 like this.
  20. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Supporting Member

No offense but I’m so glad I don’t suffer from that sort of anxiety; none of my Historics would ever get played.
    There is a well knew burst collector who brings one of his bursts to the dive bar he always plays; if he can bring a six-figure guitar to that sort of gig, I’m sure yours can hang.

Beautiful guitar, OP, I’ve owned one for years, take that thing out and let her sing!