I don't play my R4 enough, thinking about taking it out tonight but...

peskypesky

Easily avoidable if you do a few simple things:

- keep it in your sight at all times + have a band member watch it when you use the washroom
- take the guitar(s) with you when you’re done and exiting the venue to get your vehicle
- organize gear loading in/out so that a band member is always with the vehicle(s) and by the stage
the best laid plans of mice and men...

peskypesky

Double guitar gigbag? Just No, mate. Get a Reunion Blues or Mono Vertigo with a solid neck support. Don't use a guitar stand on a break between sets; put the R4 back in its gigbag, zip it, and put it in a sensible place where it won't be stepped on, sat on, take a high tumble or get stolen. Wear sensible clothing* for the humidity, have lots of dry handtowels ready for your sweat and to wipe down the guitar. Wax it before you take it to your gig with good carnauba based wax.

And just rock it without worrying about it... Yeah, sure, mate, expect to add your own dings and dongs but that is called really owning your guitar!

* No heavy belt buckles. At least, get a belt buckle covered up with a thick towel of some sort. Wear less abrasive clothing. Dry handtowels and have a quick change of shirts ready when you get drenched. Getting prepared for a hot sweaty gig is half the fun. Have a really dry towel ready in the bag for when the gig ends. That's for wiping your R4 down before packing up.
somebody said "it's not a baby!"....but sure sounds like you have to treat it like one.

to me, having to do all that would take away from the fun of the gig.

peskypesky

I understand everyone's point and I WILL gig it, but the summer gigs out here are extreme. The venue tacked on a 5th set so 5+ hours and it is SWAMPY, seriously near unbearable outside here this week.
I didn't mention the guitar was also my 10th wedding anniversary preset.
And the last time I gigged it down here at least one guy felt the need to come up during sets, gush about it, then tell me it would be a terrible shame if it got stolen while I was actually playing my other guitar I brought LOL.
And, when I was younger I had a guitar stolen at a gig that exact same way.

All that being said I am going to get Heritage insurance and start bringing it out more.
On all of my guitars I knock down the finish quite a bit with Scothbrite and wipe them down post gigs, but playing in these extremes there is simply no way to escape your fingers getting "stuck" after a while, it's crazy! My Tele is baked maple with some Danish Oil and even that starts to drag.
love my poly-finished guitars. they don't even begin to notice the 100+ temperatures here in Texas.

Gasp100

Supporting Member
Unfortnately I'm a headstock (shape) snob. If I really needed to play and LP live (which I don't, main guitars are an MJT Tele and PRS DGT) I would be forced to find a "golden era" MIJ copy - Burny, Greco, etc. to use... I know, it's absurd but that is how I roll.

for gigs, get an Epiphone, and put some Gibson pickups in it. Even with stock pickups, the audience probably wouldn't hear much, if any difference:

peskypesky

Unfortnately I'm a headstock (shape) snob. If I really needed to play and LP live (which I don't, main guitars are an MJT Tele and PRS DGT) I would be forced to find a "golden era" MIJ copy - Burny, Greco, etc. to use... I know, it's absurd but that is how I roll.
hmmmm, i wonder if it would be possible to graft a Gibson headstock onto an Epi... :)

those Burnys and Grecos are no joke. I'd love one. But do they have nitro finishes?

Lung plunger

My biggest concern would be the possibility of it getting stolen. You've gigged enough to know how to safely gig that thing. I'd take it.

Beautiful guitar. My god...

RockDC

Sweaty outdoor gigs tarnished and rusted the heck out of my Les Paul hardware... also aided in a lot of arm wear in the paint. If that bothers you then take another guitar and wait for the fall/winter/spring gigs.

Gasp100

Supporting Member
Not normally nitro unless you get very lucky or pay out the ass. Burny always a solid deal (sometimes heavy though).

hmmmm, i wonder if it would be possible to graft a Gibson headstock onto an Epi... :)

those Burnys and Grecos are no joke. I'd love one. But do they have nitro finishes?

YYZ

Supporting Member
I would gig that guitar except for one thing—-the heat and what happens to Gibson nitro in those conditions, especially on a black guitar.

I live on the Gulf Coast. We gig outside all the time, and the heat and humidity combined is as bad as nearly anywhere. Modern nitro is already soft, takes forever to cure and heat and sweat makes it really soft and gummy.

Combine that with a black finish? You are asking for big, milky cloudy spots on the top where your forearm rests. And it remains after it dries. Some special polishes can remove it, though.

I have a ‘97 R4 Oxblood, so I speak from many years of experience. On hot and humid gigs, I no longer bring a “nitro” finish guitar. I hate the sticky, gummy feel.
See this makes sense. Nitro and heat and humidity doesn't sound fun.

shallbe

Deputy Plankspanker
Gold Supporting Member
My Historics have literally been to hundreds of gigs—I have 3 that I’ve owned over 20 years each. However, if it is an outdoor gig in the summer along the coast? My Suhr guitars are going. Heat and sweat don’t bother them a bit, and they stay in tune great.

hunter

Supporting Member
I would gig that guitar except for one thing—-the heat and what happens to Gibson nitro in those conditions, especially on a black guitar.

I live on the Gulf Coast. We gig outside all the time, and the heat and humidity combined is as bad as nearly anywhere. Modern nitro is already soft, takes forever to cure and heat and sweat makes it really soft and gummy.

Combine that with a black finish? You are asking for big, milky cloudy spots on the top where your forearm rests. And it remains after it dries. Some special polishes can remove it, though.

I have a ‘97 R4 Oxblood, so I speak from many years of experience. On hot and humid gigs, I no longer bring a “nitro” finish guitar. I hate the sticky, gummy feel.
Yep. I'd play it if I was gonna play a Les Paul I guess. Just remember heat softens lacquer. It can soften enough for the fabric in the bag or case to stick and leave an imprint in the finish. A permanent imprint. And yes, sweat will cloud a warm finish. So watch the heat.

hunter

Airoz

I’d say if its a local gig, take your best guitar with you and rock it, when touring, you bring a beater (because it will get beaten, mostly by Airport handlers and overworked roadies)

crashbelt

All my guitars are vintage, so I have a simple way to decide which to gig.

The ones with neck repairs, refins etc do the hot sweaty gigs and the dives. The better ones do the safer gigs in the conditions that won't mess up nitro finishes.

And the high value minty Gibson that I wasn't comfortable gigging got sold this year.

Horses for courses..........

Jayyj

Supporting Member
I understand everyone's point and I WILL gig it, but the summer gigs out here are extreme. The venue tacked on a 5th set so 5+ hours and it is SWAMPY, seriously near unbearable outside here this week.
I didn't mention the guitar was also my 10th wedding anniversary preset.
And the last time I gigged it down here at least one guy felt the need to come up during sets, gush about it, then tell me it would be a terrible shame if it got stolen while I was actually playing my other guitar I brought LOL.
And, when I was younger I had a guitar stolen at a gig that exact same way.

All that being said I am going to get Heritage insurance and start bringing it out more.
On all of my guitars I knock down the finish quite a bit with Scothbrite and wipe them down post gigs, but playing in these extremes there is simply no way to escape your fingers getting "stuck" after a while, it's crazy! My Tele is baked maple with some Danish Oil and even that starts to drag.
Sentimental value is the one thing that would make me think twice, to be honest. The reason I no longer gig my old ES355 is that the guitar means more to me than its value as a guitar, and if something happened to it I couldn't replace it for that reason. Any other guitar, even the ones that are worth a lot more money, I love them and I'd be gutted to lose one, but they're insured and if the worst happens, I know I'll be able to find something similar I love as much - so any of those are fair game for gigs. But the old brown 355... that one needs to be with me to the end!

As for the heat thing, I live in Manchester so, you know, I've seen that thing you call a sun occasionally when I'm somewhere that isn't the Atlantic facing bit of the UK, but my practical experience of it is somewhat limited...

Deluzion

Id take it out, imagine what Neil Youngs Old Black is worth and the headstock breaks its had, and its still being taken out :)

Its what they are made for :)

datguytim

OP - c'mon man!!!! Play the thing OUT or sell it & by a cheap POS - guitars are meant to be PLAYED!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't think twice. I tour with my most expensive axes - without blinking. ONLY axes I won't take on the road or out gigging are vintage Archtops, as they are delicate.

hank57

Silver Supporting Member
Was the Mona Lisa meant to be a toilet seat cover?

Were Porsche’s meant to be driven under the speed limit?

Is booze supposed to be used as a cleaning supply?

Play it.

Trending Topics