• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

I don't really like any guitar tones from before the 70s

kingrazor

Sacrilegious to say probably, but listening to anything recorded before the first Van Halen album, I don't really care for the guitar tones.

I don't think it has anything to do with the players or the gear. Pete Townshend and David Gilmour are fantastic players, not to mention all the great blues guitarists before them. And as far as gear goes, old guitars played into old amps sound amazing, case in point Johan Segeborn's video "Proof that Hard Rock could have been invented in the 1930s!"

I think it was just the recording technology. The best guitar tones I've ever heard have been the ones I've heard on Youtube in the last 5 years. And in many cases they're playing old guitars into old amps. All that's really changed is the mics, pres, and using interfaces into DAWs instead of tape.

Am I crazy? Anyone else feel this way?

kingrazor

I'm a bit confused. Your thread title doesn't seem to match what you said in the post. I would think you meant to say "I DON'T really like any guitar tones from before the 70's".
lol whoops. Fixed. Thanks.

kingrazor

But he says he doesn’t like the tones before VH1 which was 78 so that would mean most of the 70’s.

Is it before the 70’s or before 78?
Before 78 really. The tone on "Who's Next" in 71 was alright. But it wasn't really until the late 70s/early 80s I really start to hear tones I really like.

WesDocJimi

Sacrilegious to say probably, but listening to anything recorded before the first Van Halen album, I don't really care for the guitar tones.

I don't think it has anything to do with the players or the gear. Pete Townshend and David Gilmour are fantastic players, not to mention all the great blues guitarists before them. And as far as gear goes, old guitars played into old amps sound amazing, case in point Johan Segeborn's video "Proof that Hard Rock could have been invented in the 1930s!"

I think it was just the recording technology. The best guitar tones I've ever heard have been the ones I've heard on Youtube in the last 5 years. And in many cases they're playing old guitars into old amps. All that's really changed is the mics, pres, and using interfaces into DAWs instead of tape.

Am I crazy? Anyone else feel this way?
Never been a fan of EVH's tone and the 80s hard rock tones are without question the worst
in the history of the electric guitar.

Walter Boots

I agree to disagree that there are not good tones before 78,but I think you have the basic idea when you bring up recording technology-but it's knowledge and skill as well as mechanics-listen to how good the Beatles sound in 66 with 2 - 4 track machines,and how crappy the Kinks,Stones,and Who sound with the same equiptment or better.(yes I said it-lifelong Who fan,but their albums all sound like they are under a blanket.I'm looking at you Glyn Johns)

Examples of great 60's tones.before 1991 this was what was called grungey.
at 1:29

kingrazor

I agree to disagree that there are not good tones before 78,but I think you have the basic idea when you bring up recording technology-but it's knowledge and skill as well as mechanics-listen to how good the Beatles sound in 66 with 2 - 4 track machines,and how crappy the Kinks,Stones,and Who sound with the same equiptment or better.(yes I said it-lifelong Who fan,but their albums all sound like they are under a blanket.I'm looking at you Glyn Johns)

Examples of great 60's tones.before 1991 this was what was called grungey.
at 1:29
It's funny how subjective this stuff is. I think in this example the Kink's guitar tone is just as good. Which is to say I don't really like either of them. The guitar is easily the worst sounding part of that Beatles recording, and I love John and George's playing.

paranoid70

I've been a huge Ozzy/Black Sabbath fan for decades as are many of my friends. Never ever have I heard negative stuff about Randy Rhoads' 'tone' until I logged onto The Gear Page.... And you know what, I'm just not hearing what you guys are complaining about. Those albums ****in ROCK and the guitar sounds great to me.

kingrazor

I've been a huge Ozzy/Black Sabbath fan for decades as are many of my friends. Never ever have I heard negative stuff about Randy Rhoads' 'tone' until I logged onto The Gear Page.... And you know what, I'm just not hearing what you guys are complaining about. Those albums ****in ROCK and the guitar sounds great to me.
More of a Jake E Lee fan personally

JK1965

Gold Supporting Member
Amen brother!

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
personally, I don't like many guitar tones past the 70's.

Me either, but I'm old school. Just give me Clapton before he picked up a Stratocaster, Jeff Beck on his Esquire, B.B. King on Lucille and Pete Townshend on an SG or that Gretsch 6120 and I'm happy. .

Pete's tone on Live At Leeds is classic. OP, if you haven't heard that, you're seriously missing something.

Trending Topics