I don't think I'll ever buy a guitar made with mahogany again...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by EADGBE, Feb 16, 2008.

1. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

2. DanielT2

DanielT2 Member

I'm with you. My understanding is that Fender, Gibson and Martin all signed an agreement last year to help support the sustainable harvesting of timber. I think that is/was very commendable if it stops the destruction of more forests.

Not sure how much not buying a mahogany guitar will help though, rosewoood, alder and maple all have to come from trees too.

3. JPF

JPF Member

I want to say one word to you - just one word. Plastics.

4. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

The Greenpeace article is but one concerning Mahogany. There are many, many others. This has been coming for last five years.

As to plastics, naw, I'll keep my all solid wood guitars, but wouldn't discount ANY new materials (plastics, carbon fiber, etc) used to build instruments. It may well come to this in the future.

5. cottoneyedjoe

cottoneyedjoe Member

It kills me when people start hammering guitar companies for the wood they use.

Yes, guitar companies do need to be responsible. However, before hammering the company that made your guitar go to your local furniture store.

For years guitar manufacturers have been using "blow downs". These are trees that have fallen in major storms. Many furniture makers do not do this, as they are responsible for clear cutting. However wood is a sustainable resource. Plant more and protect it. It is not like "egyptian antiquities", in that, once you pull it out of the ground there will never be another.

You are also trying to control governments that hold these resources. That is like regulating the internet around the world. I do not believe it can be done.

Several acoustic makers have already started a conservation drive. Martin is one of these companies, as is Taylor.

But I have to agree with Paul Reed Smith. I asked him one time about using alternative materials. His answer: "The day I use plastic is the day I go out of business. I will quit." The rosewood that Paul uses is what is termed "blow down". If there is any question to the validity of that he will not buy it. However, if you check out some of the Chinese manufacturers you will see you can still by Brazilian rosewood guitars at a very affordable price. Brazilian rosewood is no longer used. What you do see American manufacturers using comes from a supply they have had for twenty five years. That is why every Brazilian rosewood guitar Martin makes carries a very hefty pricetag.

I am glad to notice they put notice on the furniture makers in the article. However, what they also say has a strong political slant. That will do no good. Cooperation is the key. Let's face it we do not own the wood or the country. It is up to them from this point.

6. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

If putting your own life at risk by driving your dinghy in front of a Japanese whaling vessel about to harpoon a protected cetatian in the guise of "research" or chaining yourself to a nuclear power plant's fence to draw attention to it are terrorism to you, consider educating yourself to understand the difference between civil disobedience and terrorism. :(

7. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

It's also quite astonishing that the Sheryl Crow Signature (Gibson Acoustic) is solid SA Mahogany back & sides.....given her stance on most things...

8. smorgdonkey

smorgdonkey Member

Much of the land is cleared for raising beef cattle too.

9. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

If you believe in helping native communities continue to live on their own lands while earning an environmentally sustainable living - as opposed to practicing clear-cutting forestry or slash-and-burn agriculture and soon thereafter moving elsewhere (which often means the USA), then under no circumstances should you, on "principle," refuse to ever again buy the products that come from their lands.

I'm with DanielT2 on this one.

P.S. 20 years ago, I made a pledge - one I've kept since - to never again buy mahogany, rosewood, teak, or other imported woods furniture. ALL of the furniture in my house, and the floors, too, are American cherry, maple, or oak. Some of my guitars use mahogany, rosewood, and ebony and if you added them all up they wouldn't weigh 1/2 of my cherry dining wood table, alone. Who here's willing to take a similar pledge?

10. JPF

JPF Member

The countertop in our kitchen is the tonewood version of Formica - black marble.

11. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

12. davess23

davess23 Member

Good on Greenpeace for bringing attention to this issue.

13. pedalfreek

pedalfreek Member

If you haven't already, check out the thread on Cardinal Instruments
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=318761

Sam Evans is building some really great looking, and sounding from what i've read, guitars from woods that are local to him in Texas.

He's using some really great looking woods like spalted pecan, mesquite, pine, walnut, cedar....

I have 2 guitars on order with him! :)

14. George Johnson

George Johnson Member

I wonder if the Mods would consider moving this thread to that snakepit called The Pub
    since, like other recent threads here, it has little or nothing to do with guitars.

15. morlll

morlll Member

The Hardwood in my house is all Oak. The local hard maple was not good enough so it was shipped to the south.

Including the floors, stairs and railings.

Our dining room was bought at an auction. It's from France from the 30's. It's also oak

It's also about 80 years old.

My Les Paul and Blues bird are mahogany, I've other asorted walnut, Indian rosewood etc.

I've never clearcut a forest,slashed and burned a whale for bridge pins. I also don't think that spiking trees with ceramic spikes (so magnets can't find them) is nice.

My brother lives on Vancouver Island and he's sick of both sides as they sides don't like middle ground.

You don't agree with us then you're an evil earth hater.

You don't agree with us your an evil commie.

16. seafoamer

seafoamer Member

I decided long ago to stop buying gtrs made of baby seals.

17. morlll

morlll Member

Well then, you sir are no Canadian.

What do you use to light your lamp at night if not seal or whale oil?

Come on what do you use? Coal fired electricity?

I'd bet that coal was once mahognany or rosewood.

Oh the humanity.

18. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

That's what I thought. The mahogany it would take to make a table could make two or three of my Standards. And it seems to me that the mahogany used to make furniture would be of much higher quality than that used to make guitars.

19. David Collins

David Collins Member

Environmental concerns and ideals of sustainable yield harvesting are important, but you should look an UNICEF's reports as much as those of Greenpeace. Slave and child labor are pretty atrocious through much of the south and central american hardwood industries - though your conscience won't rest much easier with things like Malaysian blackwood or or other asian hardwoods. It's pretty grim.

There are more companies doing their best to be more conscious of this. Taylor has been doing a lot, and distributors like Luthiers Mercantile are offering more mahogany that is FSC certified (one of the more reputable certification processes as I understand). Even then, so much of the certification like CITES paperwork is simply bought. If it was harvested legally or illegally, exporters still have to payoff and bribe the same people to get the papers signed. It's a terribly corrupt system.

20. XKnight

XKnight Member

This thread really got me all choked up and after some careful thought I've decided the right thing to do is take all my Mahogany and other endangered wood guitars and send them back to the their country of origin so they can recycle my guitars and put them to better use since I can't play worth a damn anyway.