I don't think my ears can hear the difference...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by radcliff, May 19, 2006.

1. radcliff

radcliff Member

Fulldrive 2 came in today...

I can find settings on it that sound better than my Timmy, and real real close to the Zendrive.

I got an Echotap, but prefer my DL4.

I had a Keeley TR2 and sold it for a Voodoo Lab Tremolo.

Had an Analogman Sunface and sold it because it sounded woofy.

Anybody else feel the same way after trying some very regarded pedals?

2. Mr. Kite

Mr. Kite Member

I have bought and sold gobs of stuff, some stuff I've bought twice like the sunface and ocd. I am still learning how pedals interact with each other. How buffered and tb go and don't go together. I'm to the point where if it's an overdrive or a fuzz I aint sellin it for at least a year because it will sound different if I change my set up. I'm sure I'm the onlyest numb nut that has bought stuff sold it and bought it again. My ocd and sunface are killer by the way. Learnin Vernon that's me..

3. theHoss

theHoss Member

Nope, I have done it as well. I am sure you are in good company here.

4. radcliff

radcliff Member

I'm about to sell:
    Timmy
    Zen
    Echotap
    MojoVibe (maybe)

i think the differences in some circuits are so small, thats a good amp and a good guitar, and you can barely even tell

5. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

I have played pedals that some have raved about, tried them and also LOVED them. A few times it has gone the other direction but very rarely. My tonal expectations are pretty predictable and pedestrian; in other words, average. So, I probably fall into the category of easy to please. I hardly ever purchase something looking for it to replace an existing pedal, guitar or amplifier that I already like. I just enjoy trying other equipment and as my tastes vary {which rarely happens} I may make a big change. Some players on this page have very cultivated ears and can discriminate many different sonic characteristics. They're able to hear the high, the lows, the mids, the way notes blossom, the way they decay, how immediate the attack is, the harsh versus smoothness of the distortion. And, the only way to cultivate that skill is to play a lot of different rigs and try many new things. The majority of the nuances are lost on me because I have a pretty narrow expectation of what I like to hear, except for Tele's and Strat's. I can totally identify with these guitars and have played so many that I know exactly what I like to hear. I'm not so sage with pedals {getting better with the TS overdrives, though}, amplifiers {unless it's a Blackface}, and humbuckers.

6. erksin

erksin Member

I find my ears are getting better educated as to what I really want from a pedal. It's been a slow learning process for sure, but I can say I'm a lot smarter about pedals now than I've ever been. If you take the time to research and really evaluate what you're trying to accomplish, the field narrows rather quickly IME.

7. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Definitely not the only one! I've had 2 Tone Presses, 2 EB Vol Pedals, 3 Keeley Compressors, 3 Keeley TS-9s, 2 Magic Boy Vibes, 2 Dynacomps, and 4 DL-4s (but that's a long story). When you buy something, sell it, buy it again, sell it again, and buy it again you know you should just keep the damn thing!

8. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I've bought and sold a lot of stuff with most of it being overdrive pedals. I finally solved the problem by having two amps that both have master volumes. This way I don't have to do the endless dance of, this pedal with this guitar and this amp but not this guitar. Oh wait, I forgot I got to get an overdrive for this guitar and amp combo. 3 months later I sell the amp and have to do everything over because the stuff doesn't sound right. I am much happier having only modulation type effects to contend with.