I don't understand D'Angelico's strategy

DGAS

They continually show up on MF Stupid Deal at 1/2 price. How does this not devalue the brand? Knowing that they do this, why would anyone in their right mind pay full retail for one of their guitars?

Other brands show up on SDOTD, but not consistently at 50% off, so this must be baked into their pricing and business model.

What's going on here?

musicman1

I’ve read that the stupid deal G&L and d Angelico’s are less expensive versions made specifically for MF and are not the same gtrs as sold at regular pricing. They use less quality parts including pots pickups bridges and tuners. Kind of the difference between affinity and squier. Idk if this is true or folklore.

ixnay

Things end up on SDotD because no one was paying full price for them in the first place. D'Angelico's strategy was to sell imports for inflated prices based on the D'Angelico name, and that strategy has led to the necessity of the SDotD blowouts, which is about where they should have been priced in the first place.

Last edited:

DGAS

I’ve read that the stupid deal G&L and d Angelico’s are less expensive versions made specifically for MF and are not the same gtrs as sold at regular pricing. They use less quality parts including pots pickups bridges and tuners. Kind of the difference between affinity and squier. Idk if this is true or folklore.
That’s not true. I got a G&L tribute tele on a stupid deal blow out, and it was exactly what it was supposed to be.

ixnay

I've read that about G&L, but it was only for a couple USA ASATs that were marked down to $799 (more or less, it has been a while). Most of the G&Ls that have been SDtoD in recent years have been Tribute models, and I really don't see them having a downgraded version of what is already a budget instrument. I would think the same applies to D'Angelico.

CBHTele

Silver Supporting Member
That’s not true. I got a G&L tribute tele on a stupid deal blow out, and it was exactly what it was supposed to be.
Yeah, I don't believe that rumor, either. The same SDOTD models were (and are) usually available any other time at regular prices. I am in the "D'Angelico is hoping their past history will lead you into spending more for their entry level" camp, and that they have made so many for so cheap that they can allow MF to price these much lower and still make a few bucks.

Jon C

Gold Supporting Member
definitely not true re G&L

patshep

Silver Supporting Member
i went to the showroom in midtown manhattan, having played a MIJ version that was really nice... every one I tried seemed so cheap... I didn't find one guitar I liked.. all that bling and cheap af

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
They continually show up on MF Stupid Deal at 1/2 price. How does this not devalue the brand? Knowing that they do this, why would anyone in their right mind pay full retail for one of their guitars?

Other brands show up on SDOTD, but not consistently at 50% off, so this must be baked into their pricing and business model.

What's going on here?
Devalue the brand?

That train left the station years ago. John D'Angelico's archtops were the pinnacle of guitar construction in the 1930s-1950s.

The family, or whoever owned the estate, gave their blessing to a number of high-end builders, like Jim Triggs, over the years to build using the New Yorker designs. Fast forward to the early 2000s and Vestax, a Japanese company, made a line under the DA name using steam pressed tops rather than carving to keep the costs down. They were decent guitars for the price back then but ultimately stopped making them as they went out of biz a few years later.

We saw DA resurface as made in Korea guitars about a decade ago, with the most recent inexpensive models coming from Indonesia and China. The two guys who own the brand are trying to make a buck and found the price point where guitars seem to move, as I see them everywhere these days.

While they might be a good bang for the buck guitar today, they are nowhere near what they were when John and Jimmy D'Aquisto were making them. But then you are talking about handmade vs factory made.

Last edited:

Tim Plains

It's really no different than when any brand (not just guitars) go on a massive sale. Just goes to show the levels of markup needed for companies to make it.

NSW

Silver Supporting Member
Regardless, it seems to be working. The Army Green model that started the day on sale appears to be sold out, now it’s the black one at half price as the SDOTD. Stay tuned!

DGAS

It's really no different than when any brand (not just guitars) go on a massive sale. Just goes to show the levels of markup needed for companies to make it.
but this isn't a 'massive sale'.

they have a different model at 1/2 price several times monthly.

it's more like when you see an ad on TV for some cheap, plastic, Chinese POS kitchen tool, and at the end they say, "Wait, there's more! Order now and get two for the price of one!"

As if the strategy wasn't to sell them at that price all along...

Json

Gold Supporting Member
but this isn't a 'massive sale'.

they have a different model at 1/2 price several times monthly.

it's more like when you see an ad on TV for some cheap, plastic, Chinese POS kitchen tool, and at the end they say, "Wait, there's more! Order now and get two for the price of one!"

As if the strategy wasn't to sell them at that price all along...
Completely agree. These have been STDOD for years now. I bought one of the excel series as a STDOD a few years ago. I eventually sold it. Took forever to sale and I still lost a little money. Nice guitar. Just didn’t get played a lot.

Hats off to the company for a strategy that is obviously working. They are also turning the brand into a well known name where it wasn’t before (with the new generation).

Last edited:

ChipOnly

Silver Supporting Member
One time in HS we were at a flea market and this dude is pushing this faunky gold ring with a porsche on it on my friend, "beautiful ring, all gold, fine craftsmanship, only $200" and my buddy was like "I'll give you 20 bucks" and the guy was like "ok deal"

Jugghaid

Gold Supporting Member
The Excel series are good guitars. I only paid $800 for mine (EX/SS) new from Sweetwater and it's worth that and then some. I haven't played the cheaper premier series but my Excel is a World Music (korea) guitar and it's damn good like most of what comes out of that factory.

The ones you see on SDOTD are generally returned merch or overstock that isn't moving for one reason or another. They may have overbought to get a killer pricing level and discovered they aren't moving as well as they thought they would. The G&L Tribby's are very similar. Good guitars at their price point, but a lot of these are returns. They (GC/MF) just don't tell you that. With very few exceptions, they are a really good value.

ixnay

The Excel series are good guitars. I only paid $800 for mine (EX/SS) new from Sweetwater and it's worth that and then some. I haven't played the cheaper premier series but my Excel is a World Music (korea) guitar and it's damn good like most of what comes out of that factory.

The ones you see on SDOTD are generally returned merch or overstock that isn't moving for one reason or another. They may have overbought to get a killer pricing level and discovered they aren't moving as well as they thought they would. The G&L Tribby's are very similar. Good guitars at their price point, but a lot of these are returns. They (GC/MF) just don't tell you that. With very few exceptions, they are a really good value.
MF doesn't sell returns as SDotD (unless it is marked as open box, which I don't remember every seeing on a SDotD), all of their returns are sold as 'open box' items.

Json

Gold Supporting Member
MF doesn't sell returns as SDotD (unless it is marked as open box, which I don't remember every seeing on a SDotD), all of their returns are sold as 'open box' items.
I and lots of others on here have definitely received returned merchandise that was sold as new from both GC and MF. However, SDOTD is probably mostly overstock and therefore new.

As for D’Angelico specifically, this is likely a manufacturer strategy. I see lots of retailers advertising them as their BF specials. It’s unlikely that all these retailers bought too many.

Trending Topics