I don't understand D'Angelico's strategy

ixnay

I and lots of others on here have definitely received returned merchandise that was sold as new from both GC and MF. However, SDOTD is probably mostly overstock and therefore new.

As for D’Angelico specifically, this is likely a manufacturer strategy. I see lots of retailers advertising them as their BF specials. It’s unlikely that all these retailers bought too many.
I'll rephrase my original comment slightly. MF is not supposed to/does not intentionally sell returned merchandise as new. That is the whole reason the 'open box' designation exists in the first place.

There have been two instances that I know of where there have been issues. Several years ago when they did their warehouse move, a lot got screwed up, including people receiving returns as new. More recently, people have apparently been getting items shipped from GC stores, which may as well be returns, even if they are technically new.

As far as D'Angelico goes, I think some people just need to find conspiracies. They hoped they would sell at full price, that didn't happen, now they're blowing them out to get what they can out of them. Not just MF SDotD, other retailers are doing similar to get rid of them.

TP Parter

Completely agree. These have been STDOD for years now. I bought one of the excel series as a STDOD a few years ago. I eventually sold it. Took forever to sale and I still lost a little money. Nice guitar. Just didn’t get played a lot.

Hats off to the company for a strategy that is obviously working. They are also turning the brand into a well known name where it wasn’t before (with the new generation).
Considering D'Angelico supposedly turned away Les Paul from his New York shop because he refused to build the guitar Les Paul wanted and put the D'Angelico name on it, I highly doubt he would share your view, or desire his name on a budget entry level import. I think in fact, that if his hat did come off, it would only be to throw it at the idiot corporatist management trained chimp trying to do so. What you imply is everything I cannot stand about the modern multinational conglomerate businesses that dominate so many industries now. Profit over quality, ethics that rationalize child labor and in some cases slave labor, disregard for known environmental and safety concerns, engineered obsolescence. It is all duplicitous bs, or flat out wrong.

Steadfastly

One should never, ever, ever buy on xx% off. That is a designed pricing strategy. If anyone wants to do that, I have lots of items for sale at 95 % off.

i.e. One set of premium guitar strings Reg. $3199.00 Now, 95% off! $159.95 Buy 3 sets and get 97% off.

Let me add to the above there is nothing wrong with that kind of purchase, just don't believe you are getting 50% off. You are getting the retail price the retailer wants to sell the item for. The discount they are showing is to make the buyer think he is getting a real deal. It's marketing strategy the retail industry has been using for decades but the supposed discounts have been getting bigger with each passing year. We service retailers from coast to coast and have seen this strategy for years.

Last edited:

Jugghaid

Gold Supporting Member
MF doesn't sell returns as SDotD (unless it is marked as open box, which I don't remember every seeing on a SDotD), all of their returns are sold as 'open box' items.
Not according to people who work there.

ixnay

Not according to people who work there.
Exactly where I got my information. Seems strange that they'd sell returns as SDotD when they already discount and mark returns as 'open box'. They would also have to have a number of returns for a specific model and finish to offer it as a SDotD, which doesn't seem to be something that would occur very often.

If they are selling returns as SDotD, they done an excellent job of hiding it from me. I've purchased numerous SDotD items over the years and none of them have been returns.

Jugghaid

Gold Supporting Member
Exactly where I got my information. Seems strange that they'd sell returns as SDotD when they already discount and mark returns as 'open box'. They would also have to have a number of returns for a specific model and finish to offer it as a SDotD, which doesn't seem to be something that would occur very often.

If they are selling returns as SDotD, they done an excellent job of hiding it from me. I've purchased numerous SDotD items over the years and none of them have been returns.
The closer they got to their current bankruptcy, the more I saw this. Not just with those 2 brands either. Lots of items.

I've snagged some killer deals on SDOTD (and open box stuff) over the years, but GC/MF really seemed to stop caring over the last year.

Gclef

So tell us, How does it play lolzzzzz
Uhhhhh.........

It was never seen again. Ibguess it played really well?

My uncle also had a 59 tele that his best friend restored in '04. He sold it not too long ago for good money.

musicman1

I’ve read that the stupid deal G&L and d Angelico’s are less expensive versions made specifically for MF and are not the same gtrs as sold at regular pricing. They use less quality parts including pots pickups bridges and tuners. Kind of the difference between affinity and squier. Idk if this is true or folklore.
I meant in regard to the sdotd g&l tribute gtrs being cheapened feature versions. Again idk if it’s true or not. I’d be seriously pissed to find out I paid a retail premium for something that mf was allowed to blow out for 25 to 50 percent cheaper especially when no one else was able to discount the same item.

Last edited:

ixnay

I don't understand why anyone buys the G&L Tribute guitars. Where I live, you can buy a used USA G&L for the price of a brand new G&L Tribute.
I've said that in the past, and was told I was crazy. That was 7-8 years ago, and I haven't really prices used USA G&Ls recently, but I've purchased multiple used USA G&Ls in the $500 range.

twoheadedboy

I've said that in the past, and was told I was crazy. That was 7-8 years ago, and I haven't really prices used USA G&Ls recently, but I've purchased multiple used USA G&Ls in the $500 range.
Same here. I guess some people don't know how bad the resale value is on USA G&Ls.

JPIndustrie

Silver Supporting Member
theyre part of the importer QC trend thats either a blessing or a curse on the industry

Ive seen a few of these (and the G&L tributes which I believe are from the same importer arrangement with only a license from G&L) on discount; I thought these were discontinued models

nac

Gold Supporting Member
I’ve read that the stupid deal G&L and d Angelico’s are less expensive versions made specifically for MF and are not the same gtrs as sold at regular pricing. They use less quality parts including pots pickups bridges and tuners. Kind of the difference between affinity and squier. Idk if this is true or folklore.
Sounds like folklore to me. Why would a company purposely make a guitar that looks exactly like a more expensive model just so another company could sell it for a bargain basement price. Doesn't make any sense.

Yamaha 350

People also say that myth about G&L Tributes. Think about that.

Trending Topics