1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

I feel like I have to price my guitars at $50 for them to sell.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rich2k4, Apr 20, 2019.

1. rich2k4

rich2k4 Supporting Member

Very frustrating. Even with eBay pricing, or slightly below, I can't get anything to sell. I'm trying to offload at least 5 guitars. One guitar I've been trying to sell for the last 3 years with no luck. Everyone always remarks how beautiful it looks and I get dozens of "wow" smilies on Facebook market place but no bites. That guitar doesn't come up for sale very often either besides mine.

There is gear I want to get but can't move forward unless at least a few guitars go out the door. It's very frustrating. Don't want to spend any of "my own" money if that makes sense. Want to sell gear to fund gear, even though I can afford to buy the gear I want outright.

I'm even considering taking a huge loss and just selling them to guitar center. At this point I just want them out the door.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2019
  2. '62 Stratmaniac

'62 Stratmaniac Member

I have hot and cold streaks. I only sell on CL, 'cause I don't want the hassle of dealing with shipping and all the other problems with Ebay or Reverb (like being forced into returns by lying buyers that have Ebay/Reverb take their side). And CL is full of lowballers, kooks, and other unwelcome folks, but you learn to recognize them apart from legitimate prospective buyers. But, it's getting harder, because it seems that most on CL now want to get something for half of what it's worth. For that reason, I had several guitars listed for nearly a year with no real prospects. But, suddenly recently, I sold four within a month. I guess it being tax time helped. Sometimes you just have to be patient until the right person comes along.

3. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Pedal Trading Guru Silver Supporting Member

That Ibanez is indeed super rare and I think that's the problem.
    Very niche market for a guitar like that. Your 3 years and no sale should prove that to some extent.
    My advice is get half of what you want and take it just to not still have the guitar 5 years from now.

Peppy, tarheelalum, coltonius and 9 others like this.
  4. hadley101

hadley101 Member

Try posting the guitar over at MyLesPaul? That group would appreciate
    the Ibanez Les Paul you have for sale, these guitars are known to be
    great players but to only to a small select group of people.

Before taking a beating at Guitar Center drop your asking price a
    bit

Peppy, Snail and Emcee_m_prime like this.
  5. duaneallen

duaneallen Member

I traded a few things in to Guitar Center lately and it wasn’t that bad. I am sick of shipping stuff and getting slaughtered on the costs. Also no matter how you describe a product it’s never good enough for some people and it becomes a huge hassle. I don’t have the time and energy to let something sit for a year or two. Guitar Center gave me close enough prices where I really didn’t lose very much at all when you factor in shipping and fees with the other services.

Peppy, bucketsofcake, jrw32 and 16 others like this.
  6. gnappi

gnappi Member

Yup, I'd burn them before I gave them away for the "offers" I've received :)

I had one guy try to beat me down more on a fairly priced 1990 335 saying "I need to re-sell it to make some money on it so will you take"?

I closed the case, and asked him why he thought it was MY responsibility to see to it that he made a hundred extra bucks?

7. RicardoDiazHimself

RicardoDiazHimself Member

After that much time, I just start to drop the price by $50 each week or so.
    It's clearly not market price of it ain't selling in 3 years.
    And I know it's a nice guitar!

Warmy, Pick'n'strum, NicDo and 15 others like this.
  8. Vic Interceptor

Vic Interceptor Member

I'm sorry for your loss, but I feel we have recently had a paradigm shift... the day of the "dad blooz band" is dying and the pointy guitar is coming back in vogue. I LOVE IT! good gear is going down in price and crap I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole is skyrocketing. AQUANET FOREVER!

But yeah, it's a buyers market. Too many guys want to be 'flippers', and artificially inflated the market for a while. That always crashes. 25 years ago, can anyone imagine a Princeton Reverb would be worth 3-5 times what a Twin Reverb would be? yep... sucks but true.

Peppy, jimmyp1, nichd and 7 others like this.
  9. Frozen Rat

Frozen Rat Gold Supporting Member

If you haven't found a buyer in 3 years you're asking too much. You may not want to get beaten up, but hey, who does? You need to consider that you don't set the market price, the market does. You either find the right price that the market will tolerate or you will never sell it. As for that kind of time, I'm distraught if it takes me 3 weeks to sell a guitar, there's no way I'd ever wait as long as you have. If I'm selling, I'm selling, and I find the market sweet spot or keep it. It's only money and you either want to move the guitar or you don't. Being stubborn gets you nowhere in life, or sales. You're going to almost always get less than you want. You certainly aren't going to be alone in that.

Pick'n'strum, NicDo, ixnay and 38 others like this.
  10. cardinal

cardinal Member

I’ve sold a bunch of guitars recently and took a loss on all of them. Some of them a huge loss. It just is what it is.

I try to think of it like this: it’s worh something to me that at least I got to have fun with the guitars for the time that I did.

I’m sure some folks are going to try to flip what I sell. Whatever. I’m just trying to move on and enjoy myself.

11. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

Would you take $45 shipped for that?

12. SecondFloorTones

SecondFloorTones Member

That’s the thing with free markets - the buyers eventually decide what it’s worth. If the price is good enough for you, you sell - if not, you keep it. If you’ve had something up for sale for a year or more, the price is clearly too high. Waiting for that guy who sees “the true value” of whatever it is you’re selling is just costing you more time.

B Money, gigs, Madrigal and 5 others like this.
  13. Moby Dick

Moby Dick Member

Why are you willing to accept a low offer from Guitar Center but not from someone else?

Decide if you really want to sell these guitars and then remove your ego from the transaction.
    Reduce the price until it sells and don’t look back.

14. massacre

massacre Silver Supporting Member

There are guitars on eBay that I have been eyeballing for years, they are still there because they are just priced too high.

Brettski, gep, tarheelalum and 4 others like this.
  15. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

If you aren’t willing to accept the market price and take a loss, your only choice is to keep it and enjoy it yourself. If it was priced correctly it would have sold in 3 years.

I’ve been in your shoes and either took the loss or decided to keep it.

I see this on Reverb all the time. Guitars that I would buy if they were priced according to the market sit for years because they are grossly over priced. Sellers expectations are unrealistic. I want a 70’s hardtail Strat, but people who list them for $3k are delusional. They sell quickly for half that when priced appropriately.

There are guitars similar (not exactly the same) to yours on Reverb priced almost half what you are asking and they still aren’t selling. That should tell you something. It’s not the markets fault.

16. mfranzdorf

mfranzdorf Member

I’m with you. I just don’t get hung up on the money. Trade it in and move on.

egregion and Paleolith54 like this.
  17. sportycliff

sportycliff Supporting Member

I can only comment with my own thoughts on this.

Guitar Center won't scream and cry for a refund because they found an unseeable miniscule nick inside the back cavity, thereby
    reducing packing and shipping costs maybe several times. When the deal is done, the deal is done...

Brif, uab9253, SRT2011 and 18 others like this.
  18. Alchemist XP

Alchemist XP Member

Seller sets the price.

Buyer determines the price.

That's reality. The gap between expectations and reality is where frustration is created.

kevo_20716, gibson3798, luv and 12 others like this.
  19. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

Midnight, and the stars and you.......Atlanta, GA
    I'll give you $55! :aok

SmartAlex likes this.
  20. naveed211

naveed211 Member

I’ve started selling/trading more at Dave’s than selling outright. Once shipping and fees are taken out, I’m really only making a bit more selling outright, and dealing with the whole selling process and everything that comes with it is increasingly less worth it to me.

That said, Dave’s offers are far better than Guitar Center’s. But I understand the frustration in selling.

Brif, James Hill and Timcito like this.