I feel like I have to price my guitars at $50 for them to sell.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rich2k4, Apr 20, 2019.

1. whatizitman

whatizitman Member

Why on earth would you want to do that much work? If the seller rejects your offer, move on. If you want the item that bad, pay what the seller is asking for, shipping and all.

I don't get how or why this can be considered ok for a sales transaction. There is no need for such a negative and stressful transaction, for either side.

2. mvsr990

mvsr990 Supporting Member

The question every time I see "I showed the seller cheaper ones" - why didn't you just buy the cheaper ones?

As far as shipping cost, $45 is about the minimum for a 50x20x8 box with Reverb/Paypal's shipping discount - someone who takes it into a shipping store will definitely be paying $100+.

Reverb also forces your hand on paying for insurance over a certain dollar amount, which adds a good chunk - I think my total shipping cost on a $2300 guitar last year was about $80, excluding the new box ($10) and bubble wrap (probably $4-5 worth).

tonedover and Strat-cat like this.
  3. MisterBoh

MisterBoh Member

I can do $20, cash in hand, let me know.

4. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

You might have to rethink, “buy low, sell high”.

5. gnappi

gnappi Member

Because some cat sitting in his Mom's basement in his jammies has no expenses while at least GC lowballs to resell to pay rent, lights, insurance, salaries, taxes. I have no qualm with their business model.

I'd sell to GC any day before a snot nose bottom feeder.

tonedover and Strat-cat like this.
  6. Strat-cat

Strat-cat Member

At least Guitar Center adds some sort of value for the community. These lowball flippers just try to inflate used prices to benefit no one but themselves. They are market parasites.

monty, Gevalt and gnappi like this.
  7. ScratchyPot

ScratchyPot Member

Is guitar $50 guitar still available? My business partner wire you money and my cousin pick it up!

RYAN1987M, monty and Strat-cat like this.
  8. Warmy

Warmy Supporting Member

My guitar is the most special-est!, it deserves a premium! Plays so nice! Tone!

Why you selling it then?

Uh, just cause.

9. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

What he said :agree
    Plus lower the asking price to the actual market value, which is about $1000.

Jugghaid and Mpcoluv like this.
  10. Rayzaa

Rayzaa Member

Nobody NEEDS to sell them....unless you lost your job or something. Its just feeding another purchase and it only takes one right buyer.
    Just my take. Ive only sold one and had a price that id let it go and if it didnt go, OK. I was just cutting back on my already small inventory of 5 at the time lol.

Now i have 4.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  11. Mpcoluv

Mpcoluv Supporting Member

People are weird. On many items pricing reflects ego and pride, not the market value.
    Buying and selling to individuals can be difficult.
    My favorite are the guys walking around guitar shows with guitars in cases who are “taking offers”....
    They are just getting their ego stroked by people being interested and then the seller get the pleasure of refusing a reasonable offer.

Gevalt likes this.
  12. Jugghaid

Jugghaid Member

Yup. I used to collect vintage Ibanez guitars and basses. There are very few of their solid body guitars that I would pay $1800 for, and that's not one of them. Maybe an absolute mint Custom Agent or SG doubleneck copy or something, but not that one.

Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome guitar but the $ value just isn't there.

13. Gevalt

Gevalt Member

I had a loon on CL, "taking offers" on a Bassman head, and he was just the vampire you describe so perfectly.

I love it when I see, "upgraded" pickups "worth" retail price. Where are the originals, and cost is not worth. A modded guitar is worth less.

gnappi and RYAN1987M like this.
  14. paulvcarter

paulvcarter Member

Yup I got a really silly offer for a minty 96 Strat this week.......

15. 83stratman

83stratman Supporting Member

I'm willing to bet that you are asking more than your '96 Strat was new.

16. paulvcarter

paulvcarter Member

Nope.... I bought one new in 1990 (it's an EC model) in UK it was 1,300GBP which at the time was about $2,000 - I am asking a lot less than that.

17. jfb44

jfb44 Member

'cuz someone else bought it first...duh.

18. jfb44

jfb44 Member

LOL...seller lowered his price by ~20% below his initial one after my PM exchanges with him. Guess what, the guitar sold within <24hrs & the guitar wasn't bought by me. I was curious about a hypothesis I had so I tested it.

LOL...assuming there was stress involved, what in the world made you think that.

19. Vic Interceptor

Vic Interceptor Member

a little PS to this thread... is have you seen some of the asking prices on the TGP parts pages? Especially tubes. WAY overpriced! I mean like double the going price. And a used up body or neck, costing more than you get one from Warmoth? I get it... we all hope for some sucker to pay top dollar for our crap in hopes we can finance our next project and have enough left over for a steak dinner at Ruth's Chris.... but that's just not real world thinking.

If you post something and it doesn't sell in 3 days - it's too high. Period. There's just WAY too many guys into this stuff now looking for everything and they all know the going rates thanks to the internet.

20. whatizitman

whatizitman Member

Guess you showed him.

Just seemed like a lot of work. In any case, anger is a stress response. The problem usually being is that it causes more stress. YMMV. But it wouldn't be worth it to me in the end just to prove a point.

And you didn't even get the guitar.

Gevalt likes this.