I feel like such a tool..

Turi

..for years, I always thought BOSS stuff sounded like balls.

Like absolute plastic, fake, sterile trash.

I've had an old SD-1 for a while that I could never bond with, in fact I even gave it to a friend for a lengthy period of time, only got it back last week (I asked for it back.. indian giver, lol.. he prefers his TS9 anyway).

I just thought eh, I bet ANYTHING would sound good through my new-ish amp.

Well, I was right.

This same pedal, literally the EXACT same SD-1 that sounded like junk through my old Ashton GA30R (which sounded great clean, so I never figured the amp was the problem), sounds absolutely beautiful through my VOX AC4C1.

It sounds big, bright, powerful, crunchy, raw, and most of all and easily the most important factor for me - it sounds real.

I'm simply blown away at how much difference a good tube amp can do to the sound.. I think pedals are like a tiny little piece of the puzzle.

Not entirely sure why I wrote this.. but I figure, if there's any point to it - before you diss any pedal or trash talk it.. maybe look at what you're playing through, because the pedal might not actually be the problem.

This is the exact same pedal I dismissed ages ago, yet here I am today totally blown away by it.

How can it go from sounding fake and sterile to real and raw?

It makes me wonder if all the trash talking I've done about the GT-100 and the ME-80 is a total load of **** - that was all through that same Ashton GA30R.

So yeah.. wow.

Totally got my eyes out for more cheap BOSS pedals now (this one cost me $20 from some dude on a facebook buy/sell page).

Turi

Might as well ask here.

My SD-1 footswitch actually requires me to stomp it super hard for it to stay turned on or stay turned off.

If I press it normally, it almost acts like an unlatched footswitch - it just stays active while my foots on it, and turns back off when I let go.

When I stomp it really hard, it stays turned on/off.

What could this be?

I opened it up and don't have a clue.. I can't really get to anything..

jondanger

Might as well ask here.

My SD-1 footswitch actually requires me to stomp it super hard for it to stay turned on or stay turned off.

If I press it normally, it almost acts like an unlatched footswitch - it just stays active while my foots on it, and turns back off when I let go.

When I stomp it really hard, it stays turned on/off.

What could this be?

I opened it up and don't have a clue.. I can't really get to anything..

Those switches can go bad - they are little momentary switches. I've replaced a couple. It's a two wire soldering job. The switches are available from Small Bear Electronics. Here's the link to the part.

http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=36

Before I tried that though I'd make sure there isn't anything blocking the full range of the treadle.

Motterpaul

Tone is in the Ears
Lithsp - you need a new switch - take it to a shop.

But yeah - Overdrives are basically just pre-amps, and the way they interact with any amp or guitar can be vastly different. So you aren't a tool, you just have a different amp now.

Turi

jondanger - yeah, I pulled it apart and cleaned it up a bit.. it *kinda* works better when I press the button with my hand.. sometimes it requires a double press..

cruisemates - the shop would charge me like $50 and it looks like that switch is $1.75 haha.. I'll give them a call.. it'd be cheaper than me buying a soldering iron (and learning how to use one) I suppose..

I sure feel like a tool - I've been running BOSS down for years!

Now here I am with an SD-1, admittedly the footswitch thing is playing up - but it sounds awesome.
It sounds the complete opposite of what I experience before - it sounds raw and real, which is what I want, whereas on the old amp, it was fake and sterile sounding. :/

jdel77

Boss is awesome. Stick a SD-1 in front of a dirty Plexi or JCM800 and behold the majesty.

Turi

I don't have either of those, my amps a VOX AC4C1.

But it does sound awesome in front of it with the gain cranked.. I think it sounds awesome even when the VOX is set clean haha.

I just jumped on Gumtree and they're all mega cheap too.

I've got a broken RV-2 on the way that hopefully doesn't need much fixing.. happy days.. if not, well, there's an RV-5 on there for cheap (probably gone by now) and I've found a couple of RV-3's for cheap too.

Got some mega cheap ones on my Ebay watch list but tbh I got no cash, lol.
Kickin' tyres.

Lullabies

I like the Sd1 too. It's just a nice clear boost. Bare bones ... I like dirt pedals like that. Both of mine are 3 knobbers for a reason. No need for 3 toggle switches and 4-5 knobs. Too much to get in the way and to distract !

Belmont

the switch might be dirty or oxidized from sitting for a long time.
try rapidly turning the pedal on and off about 30-40 times.
if it starts to be more consistent you probably don't need to replace it, just keep rapidly turning it on and off to bring it back to life.

analogmike

Vendor
Boss is awesome. Stick a SD-1 in front of a dirty Plexi or JCM800 and behold the majesty.
The AC4 is closer to those, no headroom so it's dirty. An OD pedal into a dirty or low wattage amp will be more of a booster. Into a clean amp a stock SD1 is not all that great but into one of those it should sound awesome.

Turi

Lullabies - I also like it's simplicity!

Belmont - yeah I've been pressing it for a while now.. not non-stop obviously.. it's not really getting any better. Might just take it to the shop. Or, if that for some reason costs more then $5, I'll get another on lol.
I should get a soldering kit so I can fix my own **** though sometime.

orogeny - yeah, I prefer the SD-1 over my mates TS-9 re-issue.. we did a shoot out and they can actually sound basically exactly the same, except the TS-9 knobs need to be jacked up and the SD-1's jacked down.
I think the SD-1 is brighter than the TS-9 and I preferred that. My mate didn't.

jordane93 - yeah I want to get a DS-1, I keep reading they're ****, but eh, they wouldn't be like the #1 highest selling pedal of all time if they were ****.

analogmike - ah, so that's probably why I still like the SD-1 even when the AC4 is "clean". The AC4 doesn't really get "clean", even with the gain low.. it's still got a little bit of dirt on it.

I do prefer the SD-1 when the amp itself is pretty loud and has the gain pretty high anyway, the SD-1 just takes it to a whole new level.

Turi

Please try to avoid saying that in the future, pretty racist even if you don't mean it that way.

I used to think boss pedals were the shiz, but now sadly they just don't sound good at all to me.
I'm cool with saying whatever I want, and I won't make any attempts to avoid saying it in the future.

Thanks anyway though, mate.

BPF55555

My Sd-1 and Fender Blues, Jr sound perfect together. Just the right amount of OD and color while still making your guitar maintain it's organic sound.

Trending Topics