I feel the need for Tweed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ToneKing, Jan 27, 2006.

1. ToneKing

ToneKing Member

I am looking to invest in a tweed style amp and could use some recommendations. I just tried a '57 fender twin that sounded excellent, but although I liked the rythym tone, I'm not sure that it can get that early zztop tone for leads, that I love so much. These are the amps that I have been considering:
    Clark Tyger
    Clark Bordeaux (not sure that it would be loud enough for gigging purposes, I need the ability to clean up with the guitar volume)
    Fender '57 Twin
    Fender Bassman Ltd
    Victoria Double Deluxe

I would appreciate any input from you guys that have played tweeds. Thanks.

2. valcotone

valcotone Supporting Member

I suggest it has a lot to do with your expected environment... are you playing in places where you can crank a Twin or Bassman to ZZ overdrive levels? If not, and you still need some headroom, I'd go with the '59 Bandmaster circuit (the Tyger) which is much more versatile... great cleans and OD at reasonable volumes.

I have a Deluxe-inspire amp and a Bandmaster clone and dig 'em both, but for playing with a band where even a little clean headroom is needed, the Deluxe doesn't cut it. I don't have any experience with the DD though.

Good luck!

3. ricoh

ricoh Member

You will get that tone -w- a deluxe but no real headroom.
    My choice would be the bandmaster type. It has decent headroom....
    takes to pedals and is very portable. I had a Clark deluxe that I sent back after one day....I knew it would not work for me at a gig.....but it sounded
    great ...fantastic at home. I ordered a Tyger and it is the amp I generally use to play out. I have played it hard for over 4 yrs. No issues at all!!! I have no experience -w- a DoubleDeluxe but a pal has the 57 hand wired Fender Twin and it has a great tone as well. Me...I need the head room and get the other stuff from a pedal....and the Tyger is loud!!!

4. redtoploader

redtoploader Member

for zz tones, the double deluxe hands down.

5. ToneKing

ToneKing Member

Thanks for the replies. You have me wandering what kind of overdrive pedals work best with tweed amps??

6. AlexF

AlexF Member

Please check out a Sewell Wampus Cat - based on a Tweed Pro 'compression monster', they do the thick tweed tone plus, turned up high, there is no room for an overdrive pedal - thick thick overdrive right out of the amp
    Al

7. ToneKing

ToneKing Member

Are there any sound clips of the Sewell amps around? I checked out their site, but there are none on it.

8. AlexF

AlexF Member

If you contact Doug via the website, I'm sure he will be pleased to help, he is a really really cool guy to deal with
    Al

9. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I so much want to try a Wampus Cat someday. Jonesing for a 15" speaker tweed inspired amp. I think speaker size/format, not just wattage, determines what works in various environments. All the good tweed sounds perfect at home. On stage, maybe yes, maybe no. For real loud stages, one 18 watt amp, even a perfect Beafort w/ a very efficient speaker, might not be enough. Maybe loud enough, maybe not, but probably not enough clean. A multiple 12" speaker tweed, such as the lo power twin or double deluxe, would bring some addl headroom, sound presence. I favor multiple 10s for stage work. The Tyger sounds great at home, but really shine on stage. It gets quite loud, as loud as I need to be, but somehow without killing the ears. With the right speakers, plenty of headroom and clean, drive coming in right where you can use it. (All my comments assume single coils, BTW.) Cuts through the mix, but with notably warmth and transparency. Loud, the amp sounds real "excited" for lack of a better term. Lively, reponsive feel. There's something about 3x10 speakers and 35 watts that does it for me. That same circuit with a 15" is high on my next-to-buy agenda. It may not cut on stage as well, but that fat sound is so fine.

10. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Forgot to mention. The Klon, with no gain, mid tone and level, makes the Tyger even bigger ... as good a pedal and amp combination as I've heard. The gainster is not quite as good on the clean boost part, but with gain dialed up a bit, it works equally well. No pedals needed with my G&L tele; the strat benefits from being boosted. So far, the Tyger is the most pedal friendly amp I've played. It seems to reward experimentation, so I want to try more.

11. ToneKing

ToneKing Member

Thanks for the replies, I keep hearing a lot of good things about the Tyger. The Wampus Cat as sparked my interest, also. It would be an easier decisioin, if there weren't so many good high quality amps out there.

12. AlexF

AlexF Member

Interestingly, I was catching up with Doug Sewell to find out what he is working on at the moment (I'd heard he was working on an EL84 amp which peaked my interest), he sent me the following which i have edited down to take the technical detail out, but it sounds very interesting to me:

“Just did some interesting experimentation with a (Wampus Cat) Classic - I think I struck Class A gold... sounds kind of like a warm Matchless or something. Notes explode off your strings and the harmonics are nearly out of hand. (Thinking of) perhaps offering another version of the Classic-- maybe the "ClAssic" or "Classic A" or something like that. It's very interesting, tonally, though-- the highs are very barking and very different from the smooth compressed o.d. of the original Wampus Cat.”

Hmmm... the Wampus Cat Classic is one of my all time favourite amps.... might have to start saving up again for a Class A version!
    Al

13. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

try a louis Keith richards amp. Really a cool thing!

14. brianf

brianf Member

Oh yeah!!!!!!!

Victoria's rule!

brianf

15. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

look at Maven Peal's RG88

16. Bullhonky Deluxe

Bullhonky Deluxe Supporting Member

17. Ridgeback

Ridgeback Member

I have played quite a few. The ones I currently own are the Vicky Double Deluxe and bassman. If I could only keep one it would probably be the DD. Deluxe grind with more clean headroom than a regular deluxe, smaller size, and wonderful tone with all types of pups. Volume perfect for both home and playing out. Nothing beats the cleans of the bassman but I don't get much opportunity to play it at 6-7 for that wonderful howl that only a tweed bassman puts out.

18. Glaze

Glaze Member

ToneKing

Clark and Victoria both have really good reputations. I have only tried the Clark reverb unit and none of the Clark amps. However I have tried every Victoria amp model made.

My favorite Victoria is the Victoria 4x10 Bassman. My favorite pedal to use with that amp is a Barber Burn unit. My favorite guitar to run through that setup would be my Suhr strat. With the Suhr/Victoria/Barber basically I can do everything I like to do and the tone is stunning. It's one of the best rigs for SRV stuff on up to Marshall tones.

A Deluxe is a great amp for ZZ Top. It does not have alot of headroom, but I'm sure you are aware of that.

A Fender Twin is a very clean sounding amp. Turned full up you will not have hardly any gain so to get ZZ Top sounds with this amp you would be relying on pedals to do it.

A Victoria Bandmaster is a stunning sounding amp, but I did not feel that this amp took well to being hit really hard by an overdrive pedal. The owner of Victoria agreed with me on this. It does take mild boosts just fine though. The Victoria Bandmaster has my favorite clean tone out of all the tweeds, but like I said I still prefer the Victoria Bassman overall.

Mike

19. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Hey Tone King,

If you want you could shoot me an email and try out my Vicky Double Deluxe to see if you like it.

Mind you, its not for sale, but that would at least give you an idea whether you like the amp or not. And since we're both in Iowa, and we both are friends with Dirk, hey why not. Besides I'd like to hear some of your equipment too.

My email is heritage592003@yahoo.com

20. ToneKing

ToneKing Member

Bluesbreaker59,

Thank you for the offer, I would love to try that amp out. I've got a hamel loaded tele that I'd like to hear through it.

I'll send you an email and see if we can't hook up sometime, when my work schedule allows it. My company has been keeping me swamped lately.