I fell in love with a Martin HD28V

ecsong187

Well over the weekend I played the most magical acoustic ever. It was a Martin HD-28V. It was so resonant and played amazingly well.
I have ran around playing 7 or 8 other HD28Vs and none compare to the first one. If they were more consistent, I wouldn't be forced to sell my Crook Custom. But I feel a good acoustic is much harder to find than a good electric IMO.
Perfect for that old country Hank Williams sound.
Anyways any other fans on the forum?
Thanks
Edwin

Last edited:

RockinB23

Silver Supporting Member
The V series, GE Series, and Marquis Series stuff is the best Martin is making right now. The V series is the best bang for the buck IMO. The HD-28V has always been my favorite acoustic that guitar center stocks. I'd prefer a Santa Cruz over most of these Martins though but they seem more consistently good.

Well over the weekend I played the most magical acoustic ever. It was a Martin HD-28V. It was so resonant and played amazingly well.
Perfect for that old country Hank Williams sound.
Anyways any other fans on the forum?
Thanks
Edwin

ecsong187

Yea I played a Santa Cruz that was awesome, but way way out of my price range. haha.
Also played some Collings guitars that were kickass.
But kept coming back to the HD-28V. Only thing I would change is put a black pick guard instead of the tortoise one.

EL34

Gold Supporting Member
Big fan here....probably my favorite acoustic guitar ever. I played about 8 or so when I picked mine out, and found one that sounded superior even with old strings on it. I love the tone of the low notes when finger picked. Also, this is kinda weird, I love the way my HD-28V smells....the rosewood smell is almost intoxicating. I always take a big whiff out of the soundhole when I open the case. :crazyguy

DaveNJ

Gold Supporting Member
If anybody wants a great one, I'm putting mine up for sale. It's a custom I ordered and received in 2008 (so it's a 175th Anniversary guitar). Mine is upgraded to Adirondack and has a Martin full thickness neck profile.

I hate to sell it, but hand problems are forcing me to move to a 1-3/4" nut guitar. This one is really awesome...

PM me if interested...

http://gallery.me.com/dcase#100114

Colt

I've loved everyone I've picked up and played. I'd like to add one to the arsenal soon.... a lot of coin for a full time musician though. :) that's the way it goes. I save up a long time and get the best of the best.

bluegrif

Silver Supporting Member
Not really a dread fan at all, but a few years back I played an HD28VS (12 fret model) and that's a guitar I would have taken home if I'd had the money. A cannon for sure, but very sweet and complex tone at the same time.

Being far more into OM, 00, and 000 style guitars, I did compare Martin's Vintage series to both Collings and Santa Cruz and found that while the Martins were very nice, a preferred both the Collings and the Santa Cruz versions of those styles of guitar.

DavidLM

I don't know, the HD seems to have a ton of bass compared to the D-18 and D-28. I would prefer a D-18, although all the Martins are great.

bluesjuke

Disrespected Elder
Though all guitars of every type and every model vary from guitar to guitar I have found the Hd 28V's to be consistant.

The only exception was due to a humidifer going out but it was great the day before that happened.
Iw onder if it came back ok as it was a drastic change and a very bad time of year.

Ocelot

Strangely enough, when I was shopping for an acoustic I tried both an HD-28 and an HD-28V and preferred the HD-28 slightly. I have no idea why.

go7

Strangely enough, when I was shopping for an acoustic I tried both an HD-28 and an HD-28V and preferred the HD-28 slightly. I have no idea why.
You don`t need a reason. It`s a great guitar and it suits you. Congrats.