I finally found a LP I love

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by infiniteposse, Feb 22, 2008.

1. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

Like every other Led Zeppelin loving guitar kid from old I've always wanted a Les Paul. I've owned one in my 20+ years of playing and while it was a lovely guitar, the weight was prohibitive to me. My back's always been wonky about weight and sadly, that Les Paul had to go.

A few nights ago I started looking in the Emporium and looking at all of the LPs there. The one thing that always worried me about buying sight unseen was weight. A friend and I decided to go to GC yesterday to take care of some other buisness and while there I really wanted to play some LPs. I'm not a big fan of flametops, so that killed my interest in about 90% of what they had in stock. Way up high though they had an interesting looking ebony double cutaway that looked like nobody had touched it in a long time.

They got it down for me and the first thing I noticed was the extremely pleasant weight. I've owned heavier teles. I plugged it into a AC15CC and away I went. It cleaned up well, it did heavy sounds, the strings were dead, but it still sounded heavenly. This guitar felt like a winner to me. Nicely balanced in my lap, not neck or body heavy: just perfect. I asked the 1 sales guy who I like to work with what he could do for me and he was able to offer it to me for $1500 with the case and in Oregon, no sales tax. I figured with a 30 day return policy I couldn't loose if it was a momentary thing...

The one perplexing thing was what specific model it was. It wasn't clearly marked, but I could tell it was something special and it was clear it wasn't a faded series LP, so I just did it and figured I'd suss it out later. It turns out this is a limited edition run Gibson did in conjunction with GC and MF towards the middle of 2007. It seems most, if not all, of the stock is long gone, but this guy had been left behind.

Unlike the normal Double Cut LP's, this guitar has 2 volume pots and 1 tone knobs and the Burstbucker Pro pups. It's also got the long neck tenon, 22 frets (so scale/pickup position) is exactly like a LP unlike several of the other Cutaway LP's out there that are 24 frets which evidently changes the chemistry that really makes a LP sound like a LP. The light weight is attributable to weight relief which is a godsend for me. It doesn't take away from the LP tone at all and makes the guitar amazingly comfortable.

I'm not 100% on the pickups yet and everything I'm reading about them makes me thing I need to just play with them for a while and see how things go. It sounds like they're sensitive to pickup height adjustment and could also perhaps benefit from the RS wiring kit upgrades I'm reading so much about. Any thoughts on this subject appreciated.

The only finish complaint I'll make about the guitar is that the G-string is making a slightly metalic rattling sound at the moment. I'm thinking the nutwork on the guitar looks pretty weak, so she'll be going in for a setup soon anyway and it'll all get sorted out.

I guess I'm super excited to find a LP that really works for me. I also noticed that there's a lot of other people out there who seem to be struggling with finding one that's a good one as well. There's hope I guess:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More pics: http://www.pbase.com/infiniteposse/lp_double_cut

2. KCWM

KCWM Member

Congrats man.

I have the same model. The only differences are that the previous owner added a Schaller Roller Bridge and Fine Tuning Tailpiece to it and I added the rhythm/treble washer under the pickup switch.

The pickups didn't really resonate with me right away, but the more I play it and get used to them, the more I dig em. I think switching over from Strat/Tele to the burstbuckers took me off guard a little bit. I had an Epi LP with some really amazing stock pickups. The Burstbuckers get a rougher, though fuller sound. I've been playing with the height and it seems to be smoothening out a little bit.

The local GC here has a heritage cherry sunburst version too, but there's something about the black with the cream binding that has a very classic look to it. Though, I am considering switching out the cream pickup rings with some black ones because the cream ones do not match the binding.

Here's a picture of mine, while I was trying some black speed knobs and without the washer:

[​IMG]

3. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

You guys are killin' me!

Congrats anyway!

EP

4. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

those are cool LP's! i love the cutaway design, as its a bit of a departure from the normal LP doublecut. these also have the full body thickness of a standard LP too...only played one, but it was nice.

5. Custom50

Custom50 Member

wow, those look really nice!

6. Zim

Zim Member

Gratz!

It reminds me of my Hamer Special FM I just got and LOVE!!!! I was like that too, loved LP's but couldn't find one for me, and then wham, found the Hamer. I not seen the Gibbys' or I might had come home with that instead, but Now I know to look out for them!

7. Mikey Likes It

Mikey Likes It Silver Supporting Member

My Classic '60 has that same silly-putty-colored binding and yellow pearloid inlay. Not my favorite combination, but it's grown on me.

8. KCWM

KCWM Member

Right before I started posting on message boards like this one, I found a hamer in a pawnshop for $150. I passed it up because it was a hamer...didn't know any better. Real nice too.

Now I have a better idea of what to look for in pawnshops.