I finally get the King of Tone

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ocelot, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Ocelot

Ocelot Member

It took me a while, but something clicked with this pedal. I think I just had to find my settings, and to give it a regular workout at stage volume with my band. Wow, what a great sounding and fun pedal. It takes my AC-15 clone and turns it into a mini-Marshall - or so it sounds to my ears. The yellow channel pegged with the gain around 9:00 is a beautiful thing. Anyway, I'm late to the show but I get it now. Has anyone else needed a 'break-in period' to fully realize the potential of this pedal?

2. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    i liked, but didn't love, the KOT from the get-go. it's definitely one of the warmer sounding OD's i've tried but i preferred my timmy which, to my ears, had more clarity but isn't quite as warm sounding as the KOT.

what i did love right away, and really miss having, is the clean boost setting on the KOT. for my rig and tastes, it is the perfect clean boost with optional grit....

i really wish mike would come out with a small footprint pedal of just the boost side/setting....

the KOTs, along with everything else, seem to be coming down in price on the used market so maybe i'll just pick one up again....

3. Ocelot

Ocelot Member

Yeah, 90% of the time I just use the clean boost, and then hit the high-gain channel for solos. I haven't tried a Tim/Timmy yet. I suppose I should, as they get such amazing reviews here.

4. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

actually, i've seen a bunch of V2s out there around two hundred bucks. that may or may not be steep for just a boost. . . but . . . of course. . . it's really NOT just a boost. anyway, turn them sideways and you have a footprint the size of most pedals. . .

5. noctilux1

noctilux1 Member

Ocelot,
    same with me. a year or so ago, i was on the list and my name came up.
    got it in the mail, plugged it in and was not impressed. i tried putting the kot with different amps that i have, also tried with other pedals and just was not impressed.
    pulled it out a couple of months ago and just ran it alone into a matchless lightning, 2x10, with a fender tele. just a great combination (for me) it really seemed to come alive.
    i don't know why it never worked before but now i find if i'm just using one pedal, the kot really sounds quite good with my el84 amp.
    again, for all you people who take opinions so seriously---
    IMHO