I finally get the 'Tele versatility' thing

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by m.e., Feb 20, 2015.

1. m.e.

m.e. Freelance Bio-exorcist Silver Supporting Member

Last week, I received a used '52 AVRI that I purchased on the emporium. So far, I've played it at two rehearsals - one with a full band and another with a singer/acoustic guitarist - and at home a bit.

I've been playing for a pretty long time (just over 20 years), and have actually owned 3 Teles before this one (another '52 AVRI, an American Std., and a '62 Reissue Thinskin Custom). After just over a week with this guitar, I'm kicking myself for not really understanding how versatile Teles can be sooner. I've been having a great time just experimenting with subtle adjustments to the tone and volume controls, and have been astonished how much tonal ground I can cover. I've been using minimal effects - just a Fairfield Barbershop and some reverb (Strymon Flint) into my AC15HW1X.

It's definitely been humbling to realize how many options I had, with such a simple guitar, and how I'd overlooked those possibilities for so long. :jo

2. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

The other facet of the versatility is how easy it is to make modifications to the basic tele platform. It is so straight forward that small changes can be assessed.

3. TresGatos

TresGatos Member

You can't to the get real Tele versatility without this:

[​IMG]

:eek:

4. Moot

Moot Member

I agree. I started on a tele, and now, 35 years later, I'm back to teles.
    Everything I want, nothing extra. I feel that sometimes being forced to find a way to "make it work" always teaches me something new, especially when I have so few options.

5. Moot

Moot Member

Whose is that?

6. m.e.

m.e. Freelance Bio-exorcist Silver Supporting Member

I require at least 3 Klons on my pedalboard for maximum versatility.

7. 59Bassman

59Bassman Plank Cranker Silver Supporting Member

Give me a Tele and a great clean amp, a few basic pedals, and I can fit in with anything that is more electric than a Bluegrass jam, and less heavy than Speed Metal. They really are fantastic guitars. Sometimes finicky to get the neck pickup right, but when you to they get amazing.

8. rummy

rummy Member

Learned the same last year when I got my first Tele.

9. sliberty

sliberty Member

Funny thing is that the 1 pickup Esquire can be equally versatile.
    And even funnier is that I pulled the switch out of my Esquire completely and I still find it incredibly versatile.

10. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Looks pretty light.

Must be just the rehearsal board.

11. talentless hack

talentless hack Member

Needs more modulation.

12. sliberty

sliberty Member

1 pickup guitar -- cord -- amp
    Nuff said

13. Caribou

Caribou Silver Supporting Member

Me too. Huge surprise, never saw it coming!

Sent using Forum Runner

14. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

I've been a Tele guy for years. . .But not a standard tele. . .In '74 I bought a Telecaster Deluxe, which has two Fender Widerange Humbuckers. This is a great guitar. . .just not what you think of when you think tele.

I've started digging on Tele's with tele style pickups a few years ago. Bought a Don Grosh, Linhof and Gustavsson. But I was mainly a bridge pickup guy.

I purchased a Whitfill a couple of months ago, and have learned all about the neck pickup and the middle position. Man, that guitar has opened up so many tonal possibilities. I was playing it for my brother the other day and he said it was the most versatile guitar he's ever heard.

I guess I've got to go back to the woodshed now and learn how to chicken pick!

15. gtrgene

gtrgene Supporting Member

I get the tele thing now myself. Once I got my suhr antique tele I realized with the right set of pickups it can handle anything from heavy rock to traditional jazz on the same amp and pedal setup.

16. bignote

bignote Member

But you gotta have the right color!

[​IMG]

17. MORE BARN

MORE BARN Member

I definitely get it now.

I had one years ago, but every time I heard myself, I thought 'what is that awful clanking sound?'

Then I went back to my Les Paul and the clanking sound was gone; I sold the Tele and that was it--but for whatever reason, I kept thinking about them. There seemed to be some sort of precision that I had started to get that I didn't have with the other guitars. So I got a great deal on a Nashville Tele, and between using the knobs all the time now, that made me realize what I wasn't doing before.

They seem to respond very well to what you do, and for me, in a band setting, they can't be beat. So useful. Plus I keep it out all the time, so it's always getting played at some point.

18. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

This thread needs more pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. MORE BARN

MORE BARN Member

I always loved that bottom one, seen it before on here. Is that body hollow? Whatever it is, it's beautiful with that binding.

20. SPROING!

SPROING! Member