I FINALLY got a Marshall!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Original_Fire, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Original_Fire

Original_Fire Member

First off, I AM SO EXCITED!! lol Finally went over to the best music store close to home, and they had a 50 watt vintage modern in there I'd really been wanting to try out. I plug in a middle-of-the-line strat and it was like magic; exactly the type of tone I've been dying for out of an amp. The slight break-up it pulls off is just perfect for the way I play. I took my Les Paul over just in case I really fell for it, and the manager traded me straight up for it (I've turned into a strat guy these days, so while it's sad to part, I feel it was worth it). A fellow gear pager was over there with me, and he plugged in a Seymour Duncan trem pedal (the name of it escapes me at the moment) and that thing sounded so great with it....yes, he bought the trem lol. So, anyone got any cool info/drawbacks about my new amp? It's the 2266 50 watt. Man, I love it. Unfortunately though, I won't have a cab to play it with for a little while :bkw. But as they say, patience...sucks pretty bad lol. OK OK, I'll stop gushing.

2. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

Congrats man. Hope you don't miss that LP too much down the road.

Get a used cabinet from the Emporiums here :D

3. Original_Fire

Original_Fire Member

Thanks dude! Well, I don't think that I will, but you never know. It was just a LP Classic RI, which is a great Les Paul, but for going on about a year now I just couldn't feel right with it. Plus my PRS covers humbucker tones for me well enough. I'll definitely check out the emporium whenever I scrape together the cash for a cab.

4. Original_Fire

Original_Fire Member

Yeah, I really dug the cleans on it also. The slight, Hendrix-esque grit (that's how I heard it) I got out of it tho to me was just excellent. I can't wait to put my OCD and Gypsy Fuzz in front of it.

If all goes according to plan and I actually get to record some stuff soon, I'll definitely post it!

5. Komet

Komet Member

Congrats! Someday you will have 10!!

6. Original_Fire

Original_Fire Member

When someday arrives, I will be one incredibly happy man :drool.

7. tennisplayer

tennisplayer Senior Member

I heard a guy playing the combo a few weeks ago. With just his vol knob on his LP he went from smooth gritt to a great overdrive. Good score.

8. bigeasy

bigeasy Member

Love a good dual KT66 amp. Havent' heard/tried that one myself. I wonder how the reverb is? You can buy a lot of cake for $1500, you can also spend a whole lot more trying to find a piece you like. If you like your cake, that's what counts..
    Enjoy, you can't take your toys with you when you go...

9. Original_Fire

Original_Fire Member

The reverb on it to my ears is very subtle, even cranked. It's footswitchable though, which is pretty cool. I know it, I really didn't go in there with the intentions of absolutely making the deal, but after I played it for a while and really messed around with the settings and found some quick sweet spots, it felt and sounded exactly like what I've been looking for.

10. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I'm glad you got the amp Jay. You have been wanting a Marshall for sometime now. I new you would like it. And yes, My Seymour Duncan Shape Shifter is freaking awesome!!! :RoCkIn

11. groove machine

groove machine Member

Congrats!

I have the 2266 head and 425B cab. Absolutely love it. It's a great amp for pedals whether its OD or Fuzz or whatever. When you get a cab I would suggest the 425 or something with Greenbacks in it. I've tried the amp with Vintage 30's and didn't dig it so much.

Enjoy yer new toy!

12. Original_Fire

Original_Fire Member

Thanks Ricky, and yes, that Shape Shifter IS freaking awesome!

Yeah, I'm dying to hear my Gypsy Fuzz with it, I know it'll sound like everything I could ever dream it to and more. Really? I've been considering an Avatar 2x12 cab with V 30's in it. What was it you didn't like about the V 30's with it? The usual complaints about those speakers or something else?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  13. Original_Fire

Original_Fire Member

Well, I should be getting my cab in by either the end of this week or beginning of the next, and when I do my drummer friend is going to assist me in an attempt to demo it :AOK. I'll try my best not to suck it up so much as to keep anyone from hearing what the amp itself can really do.

Any ideas for a demo any of you might think would be cool, lets hear em! Seeing as I am a total newb to demoing anything lol.

14. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Marshall is sound of rock! I like the '68-'74 models best, but have enjoyed playing many more. Try with Tele, too. And P90s...junior very good!

DS

15. Kelly

Kelly Member

16. jtm622

jtm622 Member

Well, welcome to the club! "Once a Marshall guy... Always a Marshall guy!"
    (I've been a "Marshall guy" since the mid '70's.)

Presently, I have three of 'em - a 2500 MKIII thru a 1936 cab, a JTM 622, and a DSL 401 - I've never found a tube amp that I liked any better than a Marshall.

17. groove machine

groove machine Member

I love Vintage 30s. I have a Mojo 2x12 cab loaded with Mojo BV-30Vs (Vintage 30 clones) and they sound fantastic with my Silver Jubilee. The VM plugged into the 425 cab with Greenbacks give what I haer as the classic Marshall sound. With the V30s I heard a little too much mid honk and less bass. Of course it's a 4x12 versus a 2x12 and it's all IMO. You may like it with the V30s.

18. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

Groove Machine is spot-on with the greenies for the VM. Almost every Marshall ive owned sounded good through v30's except the vm. IMHO You MUST use greenies to get the most out that amp.

19. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

Congratulations on the VM. I was told by one of the fine representatives at G.C. that Marshall was discontinuing the Vintage Modern...Good luck with it!

20. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Congratulations on your new Marshall Vintage Modern, great amps...