• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

I finally played through my new Timmy today....

jrockbridge

I’m impressed. It’s a great OD! And, that’s really saying something considering some of the dirt pedals I already own including KTR, Sweet Honey, KOT, Merman, Sparkle Drive Mod and Riot, to name a few. The Timmy is every bit as good as the best of these. IMO it has it’s own personality and eq emphasis which makes it unique. I’m glad I finally got one.

For years, I’ve encountered players on TGP recommending them. But, so many players described it as “transparent.” Somehow, that word does not have much appeal for me in the context of guitar tones. I would describe it a bit different.

I think the Timmy is a natural sounding OD that lets the sound of your guitar ring through. With the gain knob at noon, it has a great medium gain, rock ‘n’ roll sound. The gain structure seems very much like a great amp when placed in front of a tube amp. I adjusted the tone to be sufficiently bright with plenty of chime and a fair amount of compression with the gain up. The sound was not harsh, thin or woofy. The treble and bass eq controls make it sufficiently versatile. While it certainly could be used as a clean boost, I think that’s a waste since it has such a pleasing gain structure. And, the Timmy stacks very well with other dirt pedals.

Now, I have a problem. I want to put my Timmy on one of my boards. But, which one? It will work great on any of them. Decisions, decisions...

J5jarod777

I’m impressed. It’s a great OD! And, that’s really saying something considering some of the dirt pedals I already own including KTR, Sweet Honey, KOT, Merman, Sparkle Drive Mod and Riot, to name a few. The Timmy is every bit as good as the best of these. IMO it has it’s own personality and eq emphasis which makes it unique. I’m glad I finally got one.

For years, I’ve encountered players on TGP recommending them. But, so many players described it as “transparent.” Somehow, that word does not have much appeal for me in the context of guitar tones. I would describe it a bit different.

I think the Timmy is a natural sounding OD that lets the sound of your guitar ring through. With the gain knob at noon, it has a great medium gain, rock ‘n’ roll sound. The gain structure seems very much like a great amp when placed in front of a tube amp. I adjusted the tone to be sufficiently bright with plenty of chime and a fair amount of compression with the gain up. The sound was not harsh, thin or woofy. The treble and bass eq controls make it sufficiently versatile. While it certainly could be used as a clean boost, I think that’s a waste since it has such a pleasing gain structure. And, the Timmy stacks very well with other dirt pedals.

Now, I have a problem. I want to put my Timmy on one of my boards. But, which one? It will work great on any of them. Decisions, decisions...
How many times a day do you high five yourself?

Jazzandmore

Platinum Supporting Member

I think a lot of folks believe all ODs sound similar. What they are missing out on is what you described, that pedals have their own personality. That is what makes it enjoyable to have different ones to really mix and match with your guitars, other pedals and amps.

MoarGear

Feels good, doesn't it? The real deal, for a fair price, that sounds great...

I'm quite impressed with the Timmy, too. I doubt I'll ever go without one.

Kevsonic

Silver Supporting Member
Congrats! I seem to cycle in and out of Timmy usage and when I come back to it I have no idea why I left it. I tend to favor either no- or asymmetrical clipping settings, and even in those two lands there's many miles of highway available.

slide13

Silver Supporting Member
The Timmy is phenomnal! If you like your base tone then the Timmy just adds some drive to that. It’s as uncoloring as any drive I’ve ever tried. Highly tweakable and versatile. Love them. I have three.

tonedover

Platinum Supporting Member
ive had a tim and 2 timmys. fantastic pedals. 2 of the 3 were direct from the man himself.
yet im an idiot and have long sold them all off.
i should get another one ....

jrockbridge

Congrats! I seem to cycle in and out of Timmy usage and when I come back to it I have no idea why I left it. I tend to favor either no- or asymmetrical clipping settings, and even in those two lands there's many miles of highway available.
I quickly tried the toggle in the three positions and ended up with it in the middle. I’m guessing that was symmetrical clipping. I need to experiment more with the other two positions.

calfzilla

Cynical Hack
I quickly tried the toggle in the three positions and ended up with it in the middle. I’m guessing that was symmetrical clipping. I need to experiment more with the other two positions.
Is middle position the loudest? That usually indicates no diodes in the circuit.

Telefunky

Welcome to the club sir! Now you've gotta try it at 18v. Bigger sonic footprint, more amp-like, more headroom, more touch response. Not unlike the difference between power tube crunch and preamp distortion. Once you've tried it there's no going back...

Paul Cochrane nailed it when he designed that pedal.

frdagaa

Gold Supporting Member
But, so many players described it as “transparent.” Somehow, that word does not have much appeal for me in the context of guitar tones. I would describe it a bit different.

I think the Timmy is a natural sounding OD that lets the sound of your guitar ring through.
Ummm... that's what "transparent" is referring to.

BBSuggs

Congrats. I need to give the Timmy a try.

Rave reviews. Sounds like a worthy pedal, with a reasonable price tag.

What guitar/amp are you using, if I may ask?

Trending Topics