I finally wore out a set of Elixirs...

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by erksin, Jan 2, 2008.

1. erksin

erksin Member

My high E just snapped at the tuning peg - they've been on since 10/04.

I'll never balk at $15/pack for a set of these again!

2. gururyan

gururyan Member

Yeah, I have them on everything I own (both electric and acoustic) except my Strat...I keep Super Bullets on it.

3. bmgblues

bmgblues Member

Jeez I broke a g string after 4 months. Whats up with that?

4. trivial

trivial Member

People always laugh when I tell them i just broke my G string.

(that is always the first one to go for me... but I play like and ape)

.m

5. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

6. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

You must have a light touch, or play fairly infrequently. I wear a set out after 3-4 gigs (solo acoustic 3-4 hrs). I break gs but keep spares. My wound strings usually start losing their coating in my "strike zone" and corroding after playing that much. Otherwise, they do last for several months on guitars that don't see as much play time.

7. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I love Elixirs, but end up changing them every few weeks if I'm playing a lot. They are wonderful for instruments that don't get much playing time.

As an experiment I've had John Pearse on my OM for a few weeks. The first week was great, but now they are totally dead. Back to Elixirs on that one.

Bryan

8. Ogre

Ogre Member

Elixers don't work for me. They kill the mids. I have heard the difference dozens of times after they are removed from new Lowdens and Santa Cruz guitars, and replaced with D'Addario, John Pearse, or my favorite, Pyramids. The change is obvious to my jaded ears.

9. The Pup

I need to try those Pyramids out.

Which set do you use on your Lowden?

10. jbgordon

jbgordon Member

I always broke my G string too, regardless of how I played. I got tired of it, and switched to D'addario Phosphor Bronzes. Best decision I ever made.

Some guitars just sound better with them on though, but not mine.

11. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

Elixers have always sounded a little "funny" to me. I use John Pearse 13"s on my HD 28 ve.. I prefer the 80/20's on my particular guitar and oddly enough they dont sound "right" until they are a day or so old.. New strings have always sounded awful on my Martin.. not so with the Taylor 510 I had before i got the Martin .. brand new pearse 12's (regular phospher bronze) sounded the best on that one

12. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

They hang tough for me. I get 3-4 gigs outta a set. I buy em by the box. 10's for my electric 12's for my acoustics.

13. ptown65

ptown65 Member

I love Elixir Acoustic Strings!!! They last quite a long time for me. I too tend to break my G string quite frequently. I had to recently order a dozen G strings which to my surprise cost $3.50 a string. That is very expensive for one string. But, they are worth it to me. The band, a church band, always look at me funny when I tell them I need to put in an order for some "G" strings. It's always good for a few laughs.

14. The Pup

Dress your bridge cross-over points folks...we are breaking far too many G-strings here!

When I get a new guitar, I always try to address the route-cause of any string that breaks. Sometimes there's in no apparent fix...sometimes it's a mechanical problem that can be mitigated to some degree.

I am not a finesse player...but I don't break too many strings once I get things sorted out.

15. erksin

erksin Member

I'm a basher and use a V-Pick - and play about an hour per week on that guitar...

16. erksin

erksin Member

Well my Gibson Gospel is a really midrangey guitar to begin with so maybe it's a matter of finding the right strings for your particular guitar. I've tried Pearse and Martin and they are super brassy sounding on mine. The only other strings I've liked as much as the Elixirs are the DRs...

17. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

That's pretty infrequent. Was the coating starting to unravel/worn away where you pick when you had to change them?

18. erksin

erksin Member

I guess so, but if you add up the number of weeks (about 175), that's a lot of hours on one set of strings...

The coating wore away in a few spots, but it didn't seem to affect the sound at all - certainly didn't affect the durability.

19. Ogre

Ogre Member

Pyramid # 327 (Premium Bronze Wound-light ) on the Lowden
    # 328 (medium) on dreads

20. bunuel

bunuel Member

I tried my first set of elixirs on my acoustic axe & they totally did NOT work for me. I found 'em lacking across the tonal spectrum. I'm not interested in long-lasting strings that don't sound good. I'm sticking with D'arriodos, which have always been my go-to strings. I've also had very good luck with their XL strings & I'm picky.