I find my SG uncomfortable so what should I replace it with....

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by nashsed, Jul 10, 2019.

1. nashsed

nashsed Member

I have tried bonding with my SG for over a year now but I haven't. It's neck heavy so can't play it standing up and the neck being offset to the left makes it uncomfortable to play while sitting and causes neck and shoulder pain. It also always feels like it's sliding off my lap.

My MIM Tele is definitely more comfortable but I could have done with a belly cut.

My Classic Vibe 60s Strat is absolute perfection in terms of ergonomics, neck shape and overall playability.

Based on these inputs could someone recommend a HH configuration guitar that would suit me ergonomically. A tune-o-matic bridge would be preferable but not a deal breaker.

Looking to have the guitar delivered to a remote international location so I'm afraid I don't have the luxury of trying them out at a physical store.

2. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC Member

How about an HH Strat or one of the eleventy billion variants of that?

3. doc

doc Member

Shouldn't be too hard to find a hardtail Strat with double humbuckers. (Jim beat me to it as I typed). If you want to stick with a Gibson vibe, I can attest that the feel of a Les Paul is different from an SG, especially standing with a strap I find it more balanced and comfortable with less neck dive. PRS is also an option.

TaoInMotion and pepedede like this.
  4. YYZ

YYZ Supporting Member

Strat or strat variation with humbucker(s).

5. nashsed

nashsed Member

Sorry, I think I should've mentioned the very relevant point that I'd like to try something other than a Fender.

Keen to experience and play something a bit different and not become a Fender sponsored artist. :p

6. nashsed

nashsed Member

I do tend to divide my time equally between standing up and sitting in front of my PC and playing so is the LP equally comfortable in a seated position?

Among the PRS SE models, which would you say has the most strat like neck profile?

7. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

This sounds like the one for you:

[​IMG]

And has a belly cut, too! Gibson LP Special. All mahogany, gloss nitro, and 24.75” scale.

b80, BADHAK, ronmail65 and 9 others like this.
  8. mertay

mertay Member

ibanez S series can be considered the modern version of an SG.

Thin mahogany body with often maple top (no neck dive), SS or HSH configuration, neck not as flat as the RG...the PU's are thicker sounding (still good, but different than a PAF) but thats an easy change.

There's also the SA range if you want a Fender-y tone. They have a bit thicker body (flatter back)

J Factor and tarheelalum like this.
  9. DGrig

DGrig Member

A PRS feels pretty sweet to my hands.

10. nailthesnail

nailthesnail Member

11. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

A small body 335 style like a Gibson 336, 339 or a Heritage Prospect.
    Or look into the huge number of Reverend models.
    Godin makes great guitars with a lot of options.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    zwiefldraader, derekd and nashsed like this.
  12. Masa

Masa Member

Not to me. LP is usually butt heavy, and its waist is much narrower than strat/tele and SG, which makes it sit lower. It's not very comfortable to me. It's OK standing, though, if you don't mind the extra weight.

Not all the SGs are neck heavy. My SG Jr is 6lbs 4oz, and it's not neck heavy. Much more comfortable to me than my R0. So, if the neck dive is the only issue with your SG, you might want to try finding an SG that's not neck heavy. Or, you could put lighter tuners on your SG, if yours have heavy tuners.

I'm a strat guy, too and to me, it's the most comfortable guitar. Only other guitars that come close (or basically the same feel) is teles with arm and belly cuts.

13. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

That would be on my list. I have an old 2*P100 LP Sp, it sounds good and balances well on my knee, but at 9lbs, it is a bit heavy for my tastes.

@nashsed , you don't want a strat (my first choice), how about an HH telecaster?

14. nashsed

nashsed Member

That's a beauty!! Definitely adding this to my wishlist!!

Cheers!!

Bossanova likes this.
  15. nashsed

nashsed Member

It's not that I don't want another Tele or a Strat, just that I'm keen to try something different. If my next purchase also doesn't work out then I'm probably gonna be a Strat connoisseur for life but I'd like to try other brands/shapes before I reach that conclusion if you know what I mean.

That's the itch the SG was supposed to scratch but alas it wasn't meant to be.

16. atomicmoondog

atomicmoondog Member

I grew up playing a SG. My PRS S2 Mira in vintage cherry reminds me so much of those things I loved about my SG, while being extremely comfortable. Similar specs to the SG. Anyway, I would go this direction.

[​IMG]

17. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

The obvious answer is a Les Paul...

nashsed likes this.
  18. gitarretyp

gitarretyp Member

I second the PRS Mira as a valid and more comfortable SG replacement.

the_rising likes this.
  19. DiAmoroso

DiAmoroso Member

Definitely sounds to me like you would like a PRS. They aren't my cup of tea, but they seem to offer what you're looking for. All Gibson solid bodies are uncomfortable in a seated position in my opinion.

20. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

A Les Paul Custom Lite might be worth checking out. Basically it looks like a Les Paul Custom from the front but it's slender like an SG front to back, and it has a tummy cut. I have one from the late 80s but they also did a more recent version that should be easy enough to find. They're fairly light for a non-chambered Les Paul - mine's 7.9lb - but they hang like a Les Paul on a strap, no SG neck dive.

I also have a '65 Melody Maker modded with humbuckers that cost somewhere around $600, weighs 6lb and sounds like the meatiest SG you've ever heard... Might be a difficult thing to replicate but sometimes a random guitar most people wouldn't look twice at can be perfect. Never rule anything out!