I found a guitar that I like...but it has P90's

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Dixie Whiskey, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Dixie Whiskey

Dixie Whiskey Member

I have been looking for my first guitar, and have taken evryone's advice from the forum into consideration. I'm looking at two guitars, both Ernie Ball Music Man guitars. An Axis Sport, and a Silhouette. The Axis sport has P90's. Does that matter? The Silhouette has the H-S-H configuration. I really like them both the same. What would be a better value, considering they are priced within $100 of each other? The Silhouette being more expensive. Thanks.

2. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Well, I love P-90s, but I'd have to say for your first guitar, I'd go with the versatility of humbuckers. They 'do it all' with the fewest idiosynchrasies. P-90s can be a bit more of an acquired taste, and are a bit more specific in tonality. So easy solution...buy the Silhouette now, and make the Sport your 2nd guitar! ;) AC

3. bvmjethead

bvmjethead Member

If you like it, go for it. P-90's are the tone.

4. Antero

Antero Member

Shouldn't this thread title be, "I found a guitar that I like...and of course it has P90's"?

5. dogfood

dogfood Member

if you buy a guitar with P90s then you have 20 choices of replacements and they will all have limited tone variance.

if you buy a guitar with hummers then you have 5000 choices of replacements and will have a greater tone variance.

P-90s in general have great tone. So I would say the pickups are not the deciding factor. P-90s may be brighter, Hummers may be deeper/mellower.

6. -kk-

-kk- Member

what kind of music do you listen to, or would like to play?

7. Doodad

Doodad Member

I love my p-90 Gibson. I have eight guitars and go figure the cheap Gibson is the one I pick up time and again even unplugged. Dummy that I am though, I thought p-90s were a type of humbucker. I guess the covers threw me.

8. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

What's the downside to P90s...? They sound GREAT. I greatly prefer them to humbuckers...

9. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

P-90's are their own thing. They're sort of like women. If you know what you're doing, they'll make the sweetest sounds you've ever heard. If you don't have patience, or just want to plug in and go, you could be in for some trouble.

IMO, the hum/buzz of a P-90 is well worth the trade off. Nothing sounds like a P-90, and to me, it's one of the best sounds going. Add to that the genius of a guy like Lindy Fralin, who found a way to make a great sounding noiseless P-90, and it's almost a no-brainer.

But please, don't take my word for it. In fact, don't buy P-90 guitars. I want all of the killer tone to myself :D

10. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

What's great about a P90 guitar is that if you don't dig the soapbars (?) you can drop minis right in. And that in itself is a superb opportunity to try Lollars fan-freakin'-tastic minibuckers. They're my current favorites in humbuckers right now! :D

11. Disco Scottie

Disco Scottie Member

Yeah, you're going to have to take a very different approach if all you want to do is plug in and go. And the same thing applies to guitars as well! :Devil

In all seriousness, I'd go back to kk's post and ask what kind of music you like. P90s are great for a wide variety of styles, but if you happen to be into heavy hard crunch death grind metal stuff, humbuckers would probably suit you better. Though I'm sure somebody will disagree with me on that...