• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

I found my tone - help ID gear, please?

jmcorey

So I found the tone I want with the right amount of bite, warmth, etc.

Here is the you tube vid, Michael McDonald's "Sweet Freedom" at Night of the Proms (concern in Belgium). Solo (with a great tone) is at 2:56.

I can tell from the headstock that the guitar is an EBMM. Never seen that amp style. Anyone who can chime in on that gear or what other gear (esp, amps pedals) could get me that sound - well I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,
Joe

Here is a link to take you straight to the solo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k1n99Q-Pzo#t=2m50s

slugworth

Yes, it was definitely a Line 6 (original) Vetta combo. Those and Vetta II combos come pretty cheap these days. None of the snooty people will be impressed when they see it, though.

:rotflmao

russ6100

So you'll need the EBMM guitar, the Vetta combo, but to really nail that tone you're going to somehow upload your signal to YouTube and have it compressed at the lowest quality bit rate (like that video) and streamed back in real time - tall order!

fazen

Silver Supporting Member
So you'll need the EBMM guitar, the Vetta combo, but to really nail that tone you're going to somehow upload your signal to YouTube and have it compressed at the lowest quality bit rate (like that video) and streamed back in real time - tall order!
Why such a dick?:confused:
Guy just wants a little help and tgp dick squad comes out to jump all over him. How hard is it to just move on?

russ6100

Why such a dick?:confused:
Guy just wants a little help and tgp dick squad comes out to jump all over him. How hard is it to just move on?
I didn't jump all over anyone. Just a little levity.

So you called me a dick.

Mr. Fazen,

If you have a little time on your hands, I invite you to read any / all my past posts here, and see if you can find any where I was in any way insulting to another TGP member, obscure / well-known musician, or.....anyone. Seriously.

There was no ill-intent towards the OP on my part whatsoever.

I think you're reading something into the scenario that just doesn't exist.

Last edited:

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
I would urge you to try a tubescreamer into a well, but not tooooo much, turned up classic style Fender or equivalent.

StompBoxBlues

It's just my experience, but chasing someone else's tone is a path to a lot of time NOT spent playing, not utilizing your own equipment to its best, and honestly is pretty much doomed to failure the more one is determined to get EXACTLY that tone they hear. This is just in general, I have no idea if the OP is embarking on a tone quest, or just wanting to get a rough idea of equipment that will get them in the ballpark. One is a bad path, the other isn't.

You never, ever totally "arrive". No matter what, there is a lot of fidgeting and equipment flipping. Often so focused on a particular tone, that even if 99% of the folks that hear you say "hey, you NAILED it" you will not be all that happy with it...it will still not be totally there. If it is a very well known tone, say SRV, or Santana, etc. then the best you'll get is "you sound just like..."

By go ahead, many of us have gone down that blind alley, and turned around...for me, I love so many sounds, but it turned around for me when I bought an amp that had an OD I just loved, and instead of forcing a round peg in a square hole, instead of trying to force equipment to mimic a "recorded" (and most often studio enhanced) sound, that is still abstracted in your tone memory...I just listened to what my equipment the WHOLE time had been offering me. That's when I started having fun again.

Copping someone's tone is a lot like trying to find a girlfriend that is JUST like Angelina Jolie (or take your pick, isnt important who) and you finally find a girl a lot like the ideal, but are contantly bugged that she isn't exactly the other....and miss out on who she really is, or on another that you'd totally be great with. Saying "I like thin women with long dark hair" etc. is a preference...and a lot different than "I want a copy of Angelina", and even then...lotsa guys have a type, and then find a woman totally not that type and are happy. It's a lot like that here too. Being open to what sounds, tones, etc. one comes across.

I'm not knocking the OP, (but feel free to call me a dick), and it totally depends on HOW MUCH you obsess over another's sound. I get a somewhat (not exact at all) Warren Haynes like sound, which was a goal, but it isn't to sound like him exactly, it is I like THAT style gain for some things, and Hendrixy like Strat sounds as a start point. Not exact, ball park. I could play a deluxe reverb, but it isn't the ballpark sound I want, I prefer more Marshall's, etc.

I've noticed a lot of folks that obsess and use the "special tone" quest as a way of not moving on with playing, doing the grunt work on technique. And MOST often, the obsessive tweak and tweak, alone...at home, play with a band and it sounds different. I play like myself, but I can't recreate the same tone I had at one gig, at another. I'm close, but recordings of gig tells me that though the tone is pretty much the same, it isn't as exact as I would like if I tried to totally recreate a tone I got at one particular gig.

Just don't get hung up on EXACTLY, get somewhere near, and for the final icing on he cake listen to what the equipment has to offer!

Last edited:

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
irony?
the OP found a "tone"..... someone else's "tone".
each of us has gotta start somewhere, of course, but let's not remain confused about this kinda thing, if at all possible.

davebc

Take any amp, crank the treble, turn the mid and bass to -0-.
That should get you there.
Sounds like solid state **** to my ears.
Sorry I hate that tone.

Now if they had a box that could make you sound like Michael Mcdonald!

udi9

Supporting Member
I know nothing about this guy's gear, but Sweet Freedom is a great song and this is a great version. thanks for posting :)

here's a 1986 version, with young Robben Ford on guitar:

DøøG

Good Lord folks, the guy asks a simple question, let's give him a simple answer? Yes?

What will get you into that ballpark, IMO......

Humbuckers, fairly clean amp, not totally, a little hair on it. A lower powered fender or AC30, 18 watt marshall variant will do & a compressor. The tone reminds me of the old Orange Squeezer. The key here is not too much gain, but you need something to compress the signal some. Some amps will do this, some won't.

Teleplayer

Moder8er
Staff member
This thread is lovely. Has all the earmarks of a classic TGP discussion.

First, a fellow TGP brother asks other TGP members - hopefully those with a bit of experience - to help him identify the specific gear used by another guitar player to achieve a certain tone.

Second, a few TGP brothers are cordial and actually help the original TGP brother achieve his answer.

Third, the "TGP Experienced Tone Cognoscenti" have to jump in to remind the OP that he is merely seeking some other guitarist's tone. That, of course, is blasphemous, as nobody on TGP has ever sought to mimic another guitar player's tone. Nobody has ever tried to achieve EVH's tone.....or Clapton's Beano tone......or Hendrix's tone......or....... Every single guitar player that utilizes TGP each has his/her own tone - all 100,000 members.

Fourth, since the amp used in the video appears to be a Line 6, somebody had to jump in and bash the Line 6 tone - gots ta hate it. Can't like it. Can't recall the original poster asking anybody if they liked the tone in the video - I think he was simply asking for help identifying the amp.

Fifth - anybody can mimic that tone. Just try a $100 Fender amp. Goose it a little and you will sound exactly like the tone in the video.....of course, do NOT forget that you are simply chasing another guitarist's tone.

Sixth.......:Spank

HendrixVibrato

Have some experience...
Stomp gave a *real* response that should (hopefully) help the guy more than anything else, if he takes it to heart as intended.

We have ALL spent far too much time chasing "the" tone - and for most of us, that involved many different tones, so that is a LOT of tone-chasing!

Get an electric guitar that sounds good *acoustically* and has some variability built in - Strats are famous for this, but some swear by a Les Paul, or an SG - which is why most of us have at least a few different guitars. Don't get too terribly hung up on *whose* pickups - if you're a Strat guy, use some weak single coils that are well made, they'll transmit the tone if the wood is good (and the wood does NOT have to be exotic, look how far we've gone with cheap-ass swamp ash & alder in Fender-type guitars!), trust me. And for a Gibson style guitar, it's either P90's or a "standard-strength" PAF type, and leave it at that. Nothing fancy is needed. But the ax HAS to ring out & sound good unamplified, or it's a clump of junk, no matter what it cost or who made it, or who uses it.

From here, the tone is in the amp - then the cabinet - and you'd be surprised how much is in the amp & cab. Take a listen to CS&N opening up the R&R Hall of Fame gig and check out Still's Strat tones, coming from that amp - you'll instantly hear what I mean.

Not so much tone in each individual pedal. And *any* decent overdrive will do if the rest is right enough.

From here, just work with what you HAVE - and make a habit of actually recording your own playing - the recording doesn't have to be fancy, just something decent, so you can HEAR YOURSELF as others hear you - that is a HUGE change - burn it onto a CD or cassette, and take it in the car with you, listen to it there.

Man, 20+ years ago I was doing gigs playing some Hendrix & SRV material and sweating the tone like an idiot, even though I had known better for at least a decade - I still did it. And when I was the least happy with my tone, I'd come off stage and people would *rave* about my tone, telling me all about how I nailed it, etc., etc. Go figure.

Just make your rig sound the best that IT can, and if your CHOPS & TECHNIQUE are up to snuff, the rest will fall into place. There is FAR more tone in your hands than you know - this is THE most important area, more than any guitar, amp, cabinet, pickups, or anything else, it is your HANDS, what YOU can do with the instrument.

TRUTH: Get YOUR rig sounding the best it can,what you use day in and day out already - and focus on shedding, get your CHOPS up - do *that*, and you will have others trying to emulate YOUR tone, wanting to know exactly what YOU use. You'd be surprised what you can accomplish with an original SS Peavey Bandit - in the right HANDS, they sound GREAT (it actually isn't a bad little amp).

I can take a Les Paul with some weak old PAF's and sound a LOT like Hendrix thru a little Bandit, close enough to fool non-TGP'rs - and probably even a few of those.

Guitar players - we're all a piece of work, ain't we? :)

Best of luck to the OP.

StompBoxBlues

This thread is lovely. Has all the earmarks of a classic TGP discussion.

First, a fellow TGP brother asks other TGP members - hopefully those with a bit of experience - to help him identify the specific gear used by another guitar player to achieve a certain tone.

Second, a few TGP brothers are cordial and actually help the original TGP brother achieve his answer.

Third, the "TGP Experienced Tone Cognoscenti" have to jump in to remind the OP that he is merely seeking some other guitarist's tone. That, of course, is blasphemous, as nobody on TGP has ever sought to mimic another guitar player's tone. Nobody has ever tried to achieve EVH's tone.....or Clapton's Beano tone......or Hendrix's tone......or....... Every single guitar player that utilizes TGP each has his/her own tone - all 100,000 members.

Fourth, since the amp used in the video appears to be a Line 6, somebody had to jump in and bash the Line 6 tone - gots ta hate it. Can't like it. Can't recall the original poster asking anybody if they liked the tone in the video - I think he was simply asking for help identifying the amp.

Fifth - anybody can mimic that tone. Just try a $100 Fender amp. Goose it a little and you will sound exactly like the tone in the video.....of course, do NOT forget that you are simply chasing another guitarist's tone.

Sixth.......:Spank
I like the Cognoscenti crack...I had to look it up (and seriously...liked it!) but it's kinda the opposite of that's. it's experience. It's wasted hours "honing in" on a tone, which is silly.

There really aren't all that many "tones", a Strat sounds different than a LP, Fender sounds different generally than a Marshall...pedals most often give you effects, not so much "tone" though they slightly or heavily effect the effect of the sound.

It's actually down to earth advice I, unasked, shared.

When I was growing up (not this...oh crap!) I had one amp, one guitar. An Ampeg VT and ES335. If we wanted someone's "sound" we learned and worked on what that person played, after setting the amp to a good start point, in my case wasn't much option there other than EQ, you tried to learn the chops, and figure out by trial and error how hard to hit the strings, vibrato, or not, whatever it took to get it to sound right. That's how you get someone's tone, you steal their playing style. Or as we called it, learned it.

You can make BB King tone on a Strat through a Classic 30 if you learn his phrasing and vibrato. You can play Santana if you learn his and crank the amp, or use dirt. Etc. etc.
As you allude to, there aren't 10,000 different tones out there, but if you pick equipment that is decent, and in the ballpark it is way more effective to learn the playing style that enhances those tones.

Otherwise, you get guys spending years chasing their tails, NEVER satisfied, even when they buy the exact same equipment...especially often then.

Folks copy Hendrixs setup to get his tones, but his pedal order doesn't work that we'll at low volumes...the amps, cranked, were a huge part of how it sounded. You CAN get his sound by learning his style, rearranging and using similar components like wahs, fuzzes, etc. but even then...never perfect. Never.

Ad if you get hung up on it, you find you can't even enjoy playing if you don't have your special rig, etc.

Biggest thing I learned in so many years, get a good amp, good guitar, and see wht the equipment gives you to work with, but its still technique that makes up most of it.

We are actually, basically, saying the same thing. Those tones can be had with most decent amps and guitars.

Of course it's up to anybody if they want to go after a certain special tone. Seem may even get theirs. It's just the norm instead of the exception a lot of times here. It all depends on how obsessive one becomes. I never got all tht obsessive, but about learning "how they do that" I have always been obsessive with that.

Ad totally divorced from the OP, who I don't know his ability or anything..

I wonder how many is new guitarists start out thinking the equipment is the most important thing, tone next, and playing last? I've met some that couldn't play for more than twenty minutes because of hand cramps, and couldn't play much that had expensive rigs, multi effects, etc. and really couldn't play yet. I wonder how much of that is from places like this...and of course, movies where the guy is always searching for "that special tone" etc.? I wonder how many explore their equipment, find out that playing with the right hand up around the 12th fret gives a cool bubbly tone, or down by the bridge gives a special sound, like a sitar...etc.

Last edited:

GearFlipper

I fell like one day years ago, Joelle Bonamassa posted this same question, only it was an Eric Johnson video.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom