I found my way back after 10 years.. PhaTz.. from Fremont, CA..

PhaTz

After 10 years I have found my way back. My wifes health issues kept her home for many years and I did not have time to take out the big guns and play at the volumes I like to play. She finally past last August and I have picked up the guitar and you can imagine how much you forget in 10 years.

My love for the greatest tones on earth came after hearing a fantastic amp I will call the burned Dumbleland Studio Amp. I helped re-tube it with Mullard tubes both for the input and output. The amp was sold to a person who I heard playing while on a walk in Fremont. He was a janitor for a music studio which burnt down (or was set fire for the insurance in a divorce case). The amp in question was singed but not burnt. I told my friend not to change the cover but to leave it singed and to call it the smoky Dumble. This was a very very gainy Dumble amp which came with a cabinet it sat on with EVM 12L's. I didn't much like the speakers but I sure did like that amp. He still has it as far as I know but that amp changed my mind about amplifiers.

I still have 13 tube amps and am looking to get a Fuchs Train II (the white knob version) combo or head only. I heard two recordings that used a Royer 121 Microphone and the amp sounds incredible !

I bought a Bruno ODS 100 amp and had Andy Fuchs tweak it. It was a Yellow / Purple amp which had issues / osculations and I also had a power tranny swap in it. It has amazing bloom which even occurs when the gain is not pushed up. It was tweaked to have more of an edgy clean sound and I still haven't heard a better ODS other than the smoky amp aforementioned.

I still love my Cruze Mahogany laminated speaker cab loaded with the 55/75 Hz Scumback Pre-Rola Celestion Copies.. that Jim Seavall does.

I also play the amp through my open back Kendrick 2x12 cab loaded with AlNiCo Blue Fanes for that great compressed sound when I crank up the ODS.

Most all my guitars are loaded with WCR pickups of one type or another. I know I am biased about that because Jim Wagner and I hanged together for a few years. Its been a while and I need to call him.

To all the gear page brethren.. Peace be to you !

kustombob

Yes Music is a great Healer for us who have had some hard times. Hope you find happiness in your playing and have fun' that's the most important thing. Welcome

Scumback Speakers

Platinum Supporting Member
PhaTz! Wow, I didn't realize you'd been through all of this. So sorry to hear about your wife, but glad to hear you picked the guitar back up. Hope you have a great 2017.

PhaTz

PhaTz! Wow, I didn't realize you'd been through all of this. So sorry to hear about your wife, but glad to hear you picked the guitar back up. Hope you have a great 2017.

Hey Jim.. Nice to hear from you.. I still have the Captain Crunch 212 combo.. Someone would have to back brinks truck up to my doorstep and rip that amp from my cold dead hands.. I stole one of the other scumback speakers from my other cabinet as it had a buz in it that I haven't gotten around to.. It's still the "All Dr Foot" amp it was many years ago..

Best,

-Ron Davis / PhaTz..

Scumback Speakers

Ron, sorry to hear one of your old blue frame Scumbacks might be a problem. Happy to check it out for you and see if I can repair/recone it. Let me know if you want to send it down for that.

Happy to hear the Crunch is still working for you, though!

hank57

Silver Supporting Member
PhaTz welcome back. Condolences to your family for your loss. I'm a stones throw away in Oaktown. Is Father's Amp Repair still in business?

PhaTz

PhaTz welcome back. Condolences to your family for your loss. I'm a stones throw away in Oaktown. Is Father's Amp Repair still in business?

Hey Hank.. I don't know about Father's amp repair.. Once upon a time Val King in Los Gatos was my go to place for amp repair. What is the issue with your amp.. ?? I do know an amp guy in Templeton who has been in the business for 30 some years.. You can send the amp but if more precious to you its within driving distance. I know about precious amps. I could never ship a few I have because they are irreplaceable..

James Demeter

Demeter Amplification
6990 Kingsbury Road
Templeton, California 93465

Telephone:

(805) 461-4100
Fax:
(805) 267-4079

PhaTz

Ron, sorry to hear one of your old blue frame Scumbacks might be a problem. Happy to check it out for you and see if I can repair/recone it. Let me know if you want to send it down for that.

Happy to hear the Crunch is still working for you, though!

Jim, have you ever had the chance to play a Demeter TGA-3 amp ? Jim is one of those mom and pop shop guys.. The TGA-3 is a Class A amp with 3 channels. I just purchased the 6V6 22 Watt amp (wonder why).. James also commented that many of the folks he sends amps to have your speakers or cabs.. (no wondering why there.. ;-).

James said he was going to an amp show to show off his goodies in about two weeks.

Regarding speakers.. I am planing a trip down that way in about a month.. Need to pick up the new Demeter amp.. so i will keep you in the effects loop and let you know when I might stop by at least a week or so in advance..

hank57

Silver Supporting Member
I repair my own now. I've actually built 25 amps or so. I was just wondering if he was still kicking.

Scumback Speakers

PhaTz, haven't tried any of the Demeter amps, sorry. As for the speaker checkout, shoot me an email. Phone # is the same, but I moved to Whittier, Ca six years ago, so I'll have to get you the directions to the shop. It's not the address on the site. That's just for mail/shipping/etc..OK?

PhaTz

I repair my own now. I've actually built 25 amps or so. I was just wondering if he was still kicking.

25 amps.. How cool is that.. ??? 30 years ago I could have designed amps but I switched gears and went into Mechanical Engineering. I can make a very well laid out box for an amp.. One thing amps should have are low speed fans to push air to help preserve component life.

PhaTz

PhaTz, haven't tried any of the Demeter amps, sorry. As for the speaker checkout, shoot me an email. Phone # is the same, but I moved to Whittier, Ca six years ago, so I'll have to get you the directions to the shop. It's not the address on the site. That's just for mail/shipping/etc..OK?

Okay.. Good deal Jim.. Good to connect again ! Do you guys still do the Greensboro trip ?

Scumback Speakers

Okay.. Good deal Jim.. Good to connect again ! Do you guys still do the Greensboro trip ?
No, not anymore. The last time I went there was a major PITA airline f-up. Wound up having to run with my Fool SG in LAX and my bag cuz American canceled the flight at the last minute, while I'm in the security line. They transferred me to United, but I had to run two terminals with my guitar to catch the flight.

The one good thing that came out of it was I got to meet Eric Turner from Warrant, as his band was doing a tour and we were on the same flight. I had to show the airplane captain my guitar cuz he was a guitar player and I wanted it checked into the crew closet. So while I've got the guitar out on the counter, Eric walks up, introduces himself, and he plays my guitar. Then the airline pilot plays my guitar, then I play it. Good way to kill the extra 90 minutes we had to wait for the next flight.

But my wife was along for that trip and she said "Thanks, but no thanks!" to going again after that mess.

Consequently, I no longer fly American. It was a 6 am flight, we left at 3 am to be there. I guess that sealed it for her, permanently!

PhaTz

Jim,

I will be scheduling a trip near the end of February and as soon as I know the details I will speak with you about scheduling some time to drop by. I will have the Demeter amp in hand so you can hear it first hand.

I have yet to package up the speakers but plan to do this soon. More later..

-Ron

thewhit

Gold Supporting Member
Welcome back and not much has changed.......mids are still haunting the best of us.......

PhaTz

Welcome back and not much has changed.......mids are still haunting the best of us.......

Yes.. Lots have changed. A whole new crop of Guitar Tone Seekers. Not as many old school amp builders. I know of 3 amp builders which no longer are in the fray..

Trending Topics

Top Bottom