I Found The Sound of Rock n Roll UPDATE: The 5e3 gets a cap job

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by leighianson, Apr 6, 2019.

1. leighianson

leighianson Member

Anyone have any experience with these sort of RCA’s in a 5e3 Circuit?

2. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

I recently picked up a Fender Edge Deluxe combo. My first 5e3 and I'm loving it.

[​IMG]

leighianson likes this.
  3. Major Dude

Major Dude Member

Fabulous amp, fabulous find.
    Wow, enjoy!

leighianson likes this.
  4. AA864

AA864 Member

Dibs on"dirty little rock monster" for my next band name :D

Seriously, congrats. I just picked up a Mojotone 5E3 off CL and am experiencing my first tweed in all it's glory.
    I know it's nothing close to an original, but I consider it my 'gateway tweed drug' ;)

[​IMG]

I swapped out the Jensen and put in a Scumback for extra chunky goodness.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  5. Vox66

Vox66 Supporting Member

ebenezer likes this.
  6. ebenezer

ebenezer Silver Supporting Member

Tried the ole 5e3 with the Analogman Beano Boost today, and just me alone, I did not like it. But I thought “What the hey” I’ll try it with the band. Holy Crap did it sound good! The reason I hated it when I was alone totally made it stand out with the band. Anyways, try out the treble boost, especially if ur in a band situation.
    [​IMG]

7. HotBluePlates

HotBluePlates Member

Can you get another photo looking more downward into the tube through the little non-blacked-out window? If we can see the type of getter in the tube during that photo, it should clinch an ID.

@Timbre Wolf probably will describe them best. I think RCAs sound lovely in a 5E3, but they won't be as bright or clear as some other brands.

8. leighianson

leighianson Member

Hey thanks for the reply. I was tossing up between getting some RCA’s or GE’s. I might try the GE’s given your recommendation.

Here is the top of the 6V6

9. HotBluePlates

HotBluePlates Member

Oops! I should have been clearer in my wording!

I didn't mean for you to take a picture looking in the top of the tube. Instead, see the clear glass between the black base & the black glass? If you look downward through that window, you'll see where the tube elements are going towards the glass seal at the base. Ultimately, these elements come out through the pins in the black base. I'm looking to get you to take a picture of the getter that should be visible in that area.

Inclonclusive, but I'm thinking your 6V6 is Russian (Sovtek/EH/etc) based on the black glass & the way the top of the tube looks (including the little "spring fingers" that pass through the top mica and press against the glass). If there's a cup-shaped getter visible through that lower window, that will confirm the ID. The old American Tung Sol 6V6s also used a solid black glass (and maybe National Union?), so I don't want to jump at calling an old U.S.-made tube a modern Russian 6V6.

10. ntmo

ntmo Supporting Member

The Alnico Blue sounds great in your clips. I have a 1960 Jensen P12Q that I have no amp for, I wonder how it would sound in a '60 deluxe. If you were closer we could do a comparison. Australia is a long walk from Massachusetts!

11. leighianson

leighianson Member

Is this a better view? It looks like it has a UFO shaped object inside as you can see. Thanks again for your assistance

HotBluePlates likes this.
  12. HotBluePlates

HotBluePlates Member

Perfect photo! Yes, that UFO-like cup-shaped getter is characteristic of Russian tubes. That "6V6" is a Reflector-made 6π6C ("6P6S"), as imported and sold by New Sensor/Electro-Harmonix under a variety of labels.

13. leighianson

leighianson Member

Cool, thanks for the clarity. I did some tube rolling when I got the caps changed at my local techs shop and I quite liked some old GE’s he had. So I think I’ll look to pick up some soon

14. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Looks like GE to me, but i'm just guessing.

15. HotBluePlates

HotBluePlates Member

I have seen G.E. 6V6s with dark black on the glass, but when I have a little bit of a very bright light shining on the tube could always make it through. I've also seen Ken Rad, RCA, National Union and (old) Tung Sol 6V6s that have the opaque black on the glass.

The Russian 6V6s have opaque black on the glass, but the tip-offs that differentiate them is the shape of the mica spacers, the shape of the getter, and to a lesser extent the positioning of the getter flash. These Russian 6P6S tubes used to be branded with all manner of American & Euro company names back in the 90's (probably to obscure their Soviet origin). I know I'd bought some back then, and didn't learn until much later how to spot them.

Here's an example of a Russian 6P3S-E (of the kind that's often labeled "6L6" and with forged brands) with the same characteristic cup-shaped getter.