I freak'in love CCR!!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Cropduster, May 7, 2015.

1. Cropduster

Cropduster Member

I was wise enough to drag their albums to iTunes and rocked out for several hours. All I have to say is what a band. Fogerty had one of the best voices in music. There is a vibe in those records that is so swampy and thick that you feel you are hanging out in Lousiana (and they were a LA band).

I'm gonna look into what they used for gear but the amps sound kind of solid state, yet appropriate for the times.

Dunno - just hit me right and wanted you guys to check'em out if it's been a while.

2. chillybilly

chillybilly Member

Amazing for their standard of quality, the memorable riffs, the evocative lyrics (CA Bay area types singing mostly about the South), the cohesion of the individual units (guitars, bass/drums and all combined) and, of course, JCF's singing and playing.

When you can make a 7 min 40 sec song that uses a single chord interesting (Keep On Chooglin') you're doing something right.

When you consider the breakneck pace with which they released material it's even more impressive.

JCF used those tuck-and-roll Kustom amps (in studio and on stage according to him). They had a treble horn that 'would tear your head off.' Kustom more or less admitted that JCF was the only one who got a decent sound from them. JCF had his famous black Les Paul tuned down for Proud Mary et al and his famous Rickenbacker 3/4 scale (325 model) with the humbucker in it (as seen in The Concert video).

Tom Fogerty's semi-hollow appeared to be a Guild. Stu Cook was photographed with a Rickenbacker bass e.g. on Bayou Country cover (all of them are holding Rickys, possibly as part of a factory deal) but it seems he mostly stuck with Fender.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  3. jpervin

jpervin Member

They were Kustom solid-state amps.

4. conanb

conanb Member

Yep, great band. We cover Green River. Their songs are such classics.

5. sanrico

sanrico Member

What's not to love? GREAT songs that have endured the test of time.

Speaking of, I saw Fogerty live recently and it was the best show I'd seen in years. The guy has an energy level that puts most of us to shame. He also came across as humble and very happy to be performing.