I give up on these BYOC pedal...

Rexfordbridge

About a month ago I built an amp from a kit. It was a great process, worked out well and I was pleased with the results. I probably got a little full of myself and decided to buy two Fx kits. The one (OLC Big Cheese) I put the whole thing together, and nothing. I've asked their company for tech. support and the tips they gave me didn't help much. This has soured me quite a bit on my other build BYOC Large Beaver. I started with that pedal and just put it down.

Is someone willing to get these pedals working for me? I will definitely pay you for your service. I don't have much money though so I'm thinking around $20 or so per pedal. The one is done, just needs trouble shooting. The other, needs some assembly. Thanks.

jdel77

Where are you located? Have you posted anything over at the BYOC forum? The best bunch of people on the planet. Paitence and you will get them happening. By definition, assembled correctly these things have to work.

Rexfordbridge

I'm in Albany, NY. I did post over at the BYOC. That pedal is coming together quite well. It's the OLC that I got frustrated with and in turn packed up the BYOC pedal as well.

cj_wattage

OCL stuff is hit-and-miss.

The Beaver is a solid kit, though. I'm sure at least a couple thousand of them have been built. Stick with it, and be sure to post at the BYOC forum.

If you post some photos of your OLC build at the BYOC forum, people will help you out.

scott1568

I have built several pedals from kits. They aren't easy, but it's a great feeling when they are working.

The BYOC forum is great.

I built a Tremulus Lune. It was very difficult for me and I couldn't get it to work I put it away for like 6 months and built a couple other pedals. I then came back to the Trem and got it working.

If you feel impatient and are rushing through you are bound to make mistakes so you might want to walk away for a while.

fromdecay

The Folk Fuzz I built was a bit frustrating. I oriented one of the transistors the wrong way and didn't notice for a while. I'd say populating the board was the easiest part though. Figuring out how to wire everything up was a bit of a chin scratcher though. Took me about 5 tries to get it right, so I'm guessing that's most likely where you went wrong.

dougf.

I built the OLC Chunky Cheese and had a lot of problems trouble shooting as well. After a lengthy back and forth with OLC, in the end it turned out the the socketed IC chips were sent to me backwards in their sockets. The directions give a specific way to solder the socket to the board (indicated by the little bump on one end) but the chips themselves came backwards......so maybe try flipping them around?

I built the BYOC ESV Germ fuzz a bit ago with a couple of minor snags, but the folks in the forum were very prompt and helpful in their responses to my cries for help.

Trending Topics