i got a motorcity pickup,im blown away!!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bmf5150, Oct 18, 2008.

1. bmf5150

bmf5150 Member

well boys i got a new pickup from http://motorcitypickups.com and im blown away at how good this pickup sounds.needless to say im selling my voodoo 59 ,gibson 57 classic, and dimarzio super distortion on ebay wright now..im done with them.i contacted wade over at motorcity pickups.after realizing how anal he was when he went over every detail of the old PAF pickups i was sold.the guy took the metal slugs from an original PAF pickup had it analyzed and found out that the metal was different from what you could get today.so needless to say the guy copied it.thats one of the reasons why alot of the clone pickups dont sound like the original.contact him for more details about the differences in the original PAF versus what you can get today.too much to list here..anyway i contacted him, told him i was interested in trying one of his pickups.he suggested i try his blisster bucker with the alnico 2 magnet for the tones i like.stock the pickup comes with the alnico 5 magent.on his site he still has it listed under the old name angel dust,but i guess it will be changed to the blisster bucker..i love this pickup so much im getting a second one for my other guitar!!it blows all the other pickup away that i tried...here is a clip of the pickup that i threw together,listen how it cleans up when you roll the volume back!!!
    sorry if im rambling,im excited about this pickup!!

http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=26469

2. Seegs

Seegs Member

interesting...I will check them out but to qualify this statement...what other pups have you tried and what kind of guitar did they go in?

I'm searching for some pups for a 335 and I'm finding lots of commited...fanatical...attention to detail pup makers nowadays...

eg.look at Stephen's or Throbak's site...it makes choosing a real difficult time consuming effort...

Chow,
    Seegs

3. bmf5150

bmf5150 Member

i have had the peter florance voodoo 59,the duncan 59,highorder pickups,the tome holmes 455,the gibson 57 classic,the peavey wolfgang pickups,dimarzio tone zones,and few more higher gain pickups.i have to say this pickup is way more tonefull than all of them.my second favorites would be the highorders and tom holmes 455..but these are distant seconds in my opinion...i play mainly strat guitars.ash,and alder..

4. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

I definetely want to try Wade's pups. I'm a diehard Wolfe guy, but I've heard nothing but great things about MCP, plus he's a local guy kinda sorta...

5. RACKSYSTEMS

RACKSYSTEMS Member

I turned Stan on to these. I have the same pickup in my guitar the Blister Bucker w/ the alnico 2 magnet. All I have to say is its the best humbucker I have ever used. I too have tried a lot. Dave Friedman

6. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    I put a set of Black Belts in a CS336 - amazing clarity, and articulation. Wade is on to something here in our own back yard (if your a motor-city area player that is). Every bit as pleasing as the Crossroad/Dkburst set I have in another guitar - perhaps just a tiny, tiny bit less compressed when pushed is about all I can hear as the small difference. The WCR set is in a solid body so that may contribute to that difference, as the 336 is semi-hollow. In all Motor City Pickups are a nice package - great covers, real nice PAF based sound.

7. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

I heard about these on the Egnater Rig Talk forum. Many satisfied players picking these. Including Ty Tabor of Kings X. So that's a Torque in your Strat huh? Looks really good. Is the spacing right? Obviously you like the sound.

8. codyj84

codyj84 Member

Cant wait to get mine!!!! I won the giveaway he had last month. We went with a custom wind BlackBelt with aged covers to go in my 78 Les Paul.....

Really stoked! I'll definitely fill ya in when I get them! They ship out today!!!

c

9. studiojig

studiojig Member

I know there aren't (or at least it doesn't seem like it) a lot of high-gain guys here on the board but I'm quite curious if anyone's tried MCP's Extreme or Modern category HB's??

10. Seegs

Seegs Member

this is the set Wade recommended to me for my 87 335 which is in dire need of some tightening on the neck pup's wound strings...

with so many pups to choose from I find it hard to take a leap of faith without at least hearing clips first...do you know of any BB clips floating around?

Chow,
    Seegs

11. codyj84

codyj84 Member

Got the MotorCity Black Belts in and gigged with them. Here is my consensus.....

They are bare none the BEST pickups have tried, as far as humbuckers go. Not kidding... I wouldnt post if I wasnt blown away....and I wanted to use them in a live setting to review them.

Lets start here.... I contacted Wade about his thoughts on the tone I was after. Vintage PAF tones, really Marc Ford esque in nature. He recommended the Black Belts...custom wound. I mean, we talked about my rig setup, the pedals I played through... EVERYTHING! I felt really confident that he understood my needs. I told him the guitar they were goin in (78 Les Paul) and he knew.... He has a 76, and knew exactly how to voice them. We also agreed on an aged cover for both, as its goin in an older guitar.

The tone? Basically.... what I havent liked in other PAF-style buckers, I do NOT find in these. Ive been searching and searching and spending alot of money to find THAT tone... Ya know? The one in your head. Most say that you cant find that great overdrive tone you hear on recordings because its been processed and cleaned up and compressed and blah blah blah. Shortcomings Ive found in others of the same price range are: muddy neck position, sharp highs that are not pleasing, an overall muffled sound, and no articulation.

The Black Belts are very articulate. They let every note shine through, which is super important because I do alot of clean alternate picking. The lows are robust and punchy...add alot of depth, but do not cloud the mids. The mids are full, not muddy at all. The highs are not piercing, and articulate very well. Thats JUST THE CLEANS!!!

Overdriven, these things make me cry. Ive NEVER...let me repeat...NEVER used the overdrive channel on my amp (Blues Deluxe RI) because no pickups sound good through it, esp buckers. I stick to dirt pedals. I tried it just for fun... and never uesd a dirt pedal the entire night. Its the cleanest OD youve ever heard. The clarity and integrity of the tone is otherworldly. The overdrive is classic rock, Marc Ford tones all day long.

Satisfied? Heck yes. I would buy these for any other bucker guitar for sure! How I won a set is crazy, and I went in thinking, even if I dont care for them...they were free. Now I wanna endorse the product because theyre so good.

One of the coolest things was calling Wade after I got em. We talked for a good 30 minutes about music and life and people... Great conversation. Why is that important? I felt like he cared. Sounds kinda lame, but I really respect that and wanna give him all the business I can. Time is money, and he seemed genuinely stoked to talk to me.

Wade- Im a huge fan man. Of the Black Belts. Of the integrity. Of you as a person.

Anyone and everyone- Give Wade a shout. I guarantee your search will be over. The Black Belts are THE PAF-style buckers. THE ones you dream about. Creamy and thick, totally clean and integral.

cody

12. codyj84

codyj84 Member

Just wanted to bump this up to say I am still absolutely LOVING the BlackBelts!

13. mrmuzikhead

mrmuzikhead Member

Just called Wade today and had a similar discussion and also ordered a set of BB. His enthusiasm and passion are contageous! Can't wait to get them!

14. mrmuzikhead

mrmuzikhead Member

Installed my Black Belts today. OK, they ARE the ones you dream about........ They are just "right" Thanks Wade.

15. codyj84

codyj84 Member

16. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

Just wanted to get this ball rolling again. I have been doing some research on MCP and have been reading alot of great reviews on the BBs. Im gonna have to give them a try. I want to put a set in my 58 LP RI.

Has anyone else bought a set recently and if so, lets hear your reviews!

17. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Supporting Member

My Second Degree Black Belts are just sick in my G0 Les Paul. I absolutely love 'em!!

18. Paul86

Paul86 Member

What about some pics? More clips?

19. EBGB

EBGB Member

I have the regular BB in the bridge position of my Pensa-Suhr dinky body limewood superstrat

It is A4 with an aged nickel cover and supposedly compensates for the darkness of the guitar

I believe the ohms are low-to-mid 8s
    Any stronger it would overshadow the 2 single-coils at mid and neck (Bill Lawrence noise-frees)

I'm very pleased with it
    Very vintage-y PAF
    Excellent note bloom and never harsh (even playing direct into a mixer) but with the right amount of cut

This guitar has been brought up to date
    It needed a new pickguard b/c the old config was a very odd '80s setup:
    br-- SD Holdsworth HB, mid-- SD '59 full HB, neck-- SD hot rails

20. codyj84

codyj84 Member

I'll repost on this, over a year later..... And the BlackBelts are still the BEST PAF tones out there! I get comments from new people all the time on how great the tone is. Not muddy, great articulation, round and warm... take pedals like a DREAM! My LP into a FullDrive II into my BDRI/DRRI/Crate V30/HandBuilt Rose Amplifier D-Clone is the Bees Knees! Sounds great through every amp I own. I love the clarity and punch they maintain while being overdriven.... Wade is the man!