I got a new iPhone today and

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Killcrop, Jun 18, 2019.

1. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

They have no one over a barrel. You want a cheaper phone, just buy one, there are tons of options.
    And as mentioned, it's almost a must to buy a protective case for your portable computer with the phone app.

MrSteve likes this.
  2. MatchFive

MatchFive Silver Supporting Member

It's called an exaggeration. I didn't say all Chinese factories did I? We're talking about Apple?

It has probably improved, but "In 2010, Longhua assembly-line workers began killing themselves. Worker after worker threw themselves off the towering dorm buildings, sometimes in broad daylight, in tragic displays of desperation – and in protest at the work conditions inside. There were 18 reported suicide attempts that year alone and 14 confirmed deaths. Twenty more workers were talked down by Foxconn officials."

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...pple-iphone-brian-merchant-one-device-extract

3. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I've had my iPhone 7 Plus and dropped it a bunch, it is in a case, and never broke it. In fact, I've owned iPhones since the first ones and never broke one. They last me 4-5 years and I usually just upgrade because I like new toys.

Floyd Eye and Jim S like this.
  4. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I just bought a new Pixel 2 (2017) for $259 and it's great! I think retail on it was $650. It really does almost everything the pixel 3 does so I don't care if it's not the latest and greatest. :knitting I love that it's not full of bloatware, just basic things that you need to get your work done.... and then there are hundreds of apps to add if you want. The camera is fantastic. Adapters all come with it but replacements are like $2-$8 each :dunno

Sorry to the OP about the rotten Apple deal and the hour drive :cry:

5. HammyD

HammyD Member

It is very interesting that when Tim Cook was confronted about this he said he conferred with Foxconn and they had come up with a solution to the problem. Though not widely reported, Foxconn placed nets around the building in case employees jumped.

Madsen likes this.
  6. Madsen

Madsen Member

Probably much cheaper than improving working conditions.
    [​IMG]

HammyD likes this.
  7. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

I'll stick with my $100 Huawei. Three years old this year and takes better pictures than my friends $800 iPhone. I don't use it as a mobile office, do any financials, or even paypal. $66/Mo for my wife and I with unlimited text, talk and 5gb of data I never use all of through Consumer Cellular.

CRBMoA likes this.
  8. MrSteve

MrSteve Member

You could cut that in half with Mint Mobile...$15 per line for unlimited talk and text and 3 gb of data.
    https://www.mintmobile.com/

9. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

My Apple Watch ( a gift from my students), MacBook Air, iPhone SE and iPad 3 will keep me trapped as a Apple fanboy. If one goes down, I'm still good to go.

10. Sidmore

Sidmore no talent hack Silver Supporting Member

Still using the iPhone 5s I bought April 2014, bought a $5 case same day I activated it and it looks near-new. :dunno

Floyd Eye likes this.
  11. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Up until a couple months ago I was using the same iPhone 3 for about a decade. I upgraded to a used iPhone 7S ( $300). Not because there's anything wrong with my 3, it still works fine. So far I like the 7 a lot.

12. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

It was about 6 weeks ago.

13. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

So you’re saying Android users are a bunch of middle age fat asses who like to pretend they’re tough guys in biker gangs on weekends and drive around on loud bikes because they’re desperate for the attention they never received as children? That’s awfully insulting to android users.

14. Paleolith54

Paleolith54 Member

5S here :)

dpeterson likes this.
  15. 100JH

100JH Member

Huawei? Never...not a political statement. I've been saying this for 10+ years

Peteyvee likes this.
  16. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

C'mon, haven't you ever wanted a real-life spy phone? ;)

rambleon likes this.