I got a QSC K8.2; FRFR doesn't suck

JasonE

I have a pair of K8 and a pair of K8.2 speakers. These are great speakers and really deliver a lot of sound from a small package. I mainly use the K8.2 speakers for monitors. I ended up with them because the original K8 didn't have the beveled cabinet to use them for monitors. I always felt they missed the boat on that one and then they put it on the second version. I would say that the low end of the speaker did suffer a little to have the bevel. I can really only hear it when putting them next to each other and it isn't something you ever hear when using them as monitors.

I currently have one of the first version K8 speakers on a stand in my studio where I run my FM9 and Kemper through a small mixer and into that speaker. I like having a small speaker that sounds good and can get as loud as I would ever need it to be. I have not had any regrets on buying these. I also have a pair of K12 and the KSubs that I use for mains. I am super happy with them.

Brandon7s

The longer you play FRFR, the more you just get them used to them.

However, I still prefer a real cab.

The thing that I really like about cabs are the open-back options. I'd really like to see a great open-back FRFR developed but I doubt that'll ever happen. They generally aren't made specifically for guitarist and I can't imagine why any other use case would warrant an open-back FRFR speaker. Open-back cabs have such an immersive dispersal pattern though, especially in smaller rooms. There's nothing else quite like it.

JJDon

Just got an FM9 and am trying to decide between the K8.2, K10.2, and DXR10. I'm leaning towards one of the 10 inch speakers, but without hearing them in person, its hard to gauge how the DXR10 differs from the K10.2. From one video I was able to find online, the DXR10 does sound a lot clearer than the K10.2, but its hard to judge base off a cellphone video.

As for the no "feedback" thing everyone keeps talking about, I don't know where they are getting that from. If I stand within 3 feet of my Headrush FRFR going to my Helix, it produces a ton of feedback. Also tried another bigger speaker, and had no trouble creating feedback.

hobbes1

Yep. So much of the modeling experience relies on the monitoring solution. One has to have good speakers to hear the good tone properly. That usually takes $$$.

Watt McCo

Yep. So much of the modeling experience relies on the monitoring solution. One has to have good speakers to hear the good tone properly. That usually takes $$$.
Good sound at loud volume usually takes money. Good sound at modest domestic volume levels doesn't take much

Trending Topics

Top Bottom